My Thoughts on the CDP Pro Carry - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #1

My Thoughts on the CDP Pro Carry

I can pretty much sum up my initial thoughts on the new CDP Pro Carry in one word: Outstanding!!! (and three exclamation marks)

Last night I picked up my new Kimber at my transfer dealer. I paid $1009 incl shipping and no cc fees to have it shipped to him. It arrived in four days and was even delayed a day because of weather in the Dakotas. Someone will be getting an A+ rating they deserve.

Disclaimer: I'm a 1911 guy and most of my 1911's are Colts, so I guess that makes me a Colt 1911 guy. I haven't purchased a new Kimber in a while, but upon seeing this model in the size I love, and throw in the lack of the Swartz, checkered front strap, flat topped, Tritium sights front and rear... and it just looked damn nice... well. This was going to make a fine addition.

A little something about Colts. I think out of the last 4-5 new Colts I've purchased only one was what I would call satisfactory out of the box. Not a knock on Colt, it can happen with any gun, but who ever gave them the idea that the public was craving long, creeping, heavy trigger pulls associated with an oversized trigger spur and fat faced sear with no secondary cut, should be assembling AR's for them. Let alone the foreign debris I've found in the breech area and "clicky" grip safety due to a speck of something on the tangs that needed filed off. A 9mm Competition that was put together with a .45acp slide stop... mushy thumb safeties that were ill fitted. Just goofy QC stuff that should not happen.

If there is anything to be said about Kimber, other than their break in period and maybe a few FTF problems initially, problems that may or may not happen, if there is anything to be said it is how beautiful their 1911's are. And what a nice trigger they come with. My new Pro Carry did not disappoint. Out of the box my PC had a very crisp 6lb 1oz trigger pull. And the snick on/off of the thumb safety darn near brought a smile to my face.
I'm not sure why such a heavy recoil spring... 22lbs I think I read... but I'll give it a chance. Maybe Kimber wants the action delayed slightly upon firing?

I ordered some new grips for it, but now that I've seen the wood in person I think these will stay on. I have a left side thumb safety coming from Kimber that may or may not get put on. I've never been a fan of ambi's and the right side does ride my strong side knuckle a little bit. I did notice the right side grip is undercut for an ambi safety that slides under the grip for retention. It's not really noticeable, but it's there. So I'm guessing Kimber purchased the grips and they are generic ambi grips that will work with any safety. The right side needed tapped off. It fits very snug.

I took the gun apart and took a cratex wheel to the barrel throat, just to help it out some with that break in period. I also adjusted the sear spring to give the gun a 4lb 3oz pull that's more to my liking. Things I noticed? How about the sear spring being beveled and polished where it contacts the sear and disconnect? Nice touch! A metal MSH. That surprised me. And the right side thumb safety had the high spots polished off on the underside. Very nice! No scratches on the frame in case I want to go with that single side safety.

I used to think the Colt Competition was the best bang for your buck 1911, but the subtle differences of the Kimber, the fit and finish, not skimping of the checkering or sights... if this gun shoots as well as I know it's going to... I'm giving the CDP Pro Carry a two thumbs up for either a first 1911 or additional 1911. This pistol is outstanding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (142.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (138.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (152.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (139.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 5.JPG (77.3 KB, 11 views)
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Nice review, I'm looking forward to your range report.
pacanis likes this.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:42 AM   #3

Less talk more shooting!
Chuck43 and pacanis like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2017, 07:47 AM   #4

Beautiful...........
DGM1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:47 AM   #5

[QUOTE=pacanis;424450]

Nice touch! A metal MSH. That surprised me. [QUOTE]

I'm sold on this Series I CDP.

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:50 AM   #6

[quote=Tinman;424498][QUOTE=pacanis;424450]

Nice touch! A metal MSH. That surprised me.

I'm sold on this Series I CDP.
It is really a lot of gun for the money.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:37 AM   #7

Yes it is and with a lower MSRP for 2017.

My short term goal is -25% w/ CC fees.
pacanis likes this.

If you have a problem with that, choose a orifice.
End of subject.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #8

It shoots.
Of course it started really snowing when I got out back. I couldn't even get a new Shoot N C to stick to the cardboard box it was so cold. I did get four mags through the gun though, loading all +1. Two mags were 200gr LSWC's and two were 230gr XTP's. Neither ammo ejected the brass very far at all. It all went to the right though and was easy to gather. Recoil wasn't much, but neither loads were loaded hot. I still think the recoil spring is a bit heavy. I'm going to look for a 20lb. All indications were that it's not going to have any feeding problems, or it would have had them with the HP's. And it was shooting POA at 8yds.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:47 AM   #9

It seems the ultra CDP has a plastic MSH. I will be replacing mine at some point.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
chas1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #10

My Pro CDP II

I really like your review of the CDP and Colt! I was surprised to hear you say metal mainspring housing! Mine came with plastic which I changed to a Smith & Alexander one piece magwell. Also bought grips from SGM.
You said you don't like the recoil spring. You might consider putting in the Wilson Flat wire recoil spring kit. I have been putting them in most of my 1911's.https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/att...1&d=1489346293

Do not pay attention to the EMP or the Raptor The CDP is the one in the middle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160813_195852_resized.jpg (2.20 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20150921_123952_resized.jpg (530.6 KB, 13 views)
pacanis likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote