my Custom TLE II lost accuracy - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #1

Question my Custom TLE II lost accuracy

I had my Custom TLE II for less than a month.
The 1st time I took it to a range, I had a 2" group with 32 rounds. The 2nd time I took it to the range, the group became 7".
Did anyone experience similar problem?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by siliconian; 11-02-2014 at 09:05 PM.
siliconian is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
Super Moderator

First, welcome to the forum. Were the range conditions the same? Did you use the same ammo? Were you shooting off hand or from a rest? Did you have someone else shoot it, and if so did they have the same results? As you can see, there may be many reasons that may have caused your problem. My guess is it's not the gun.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
Super Moderator

By the way, Kimber, recommends 500 rounds before the gun is broken in. Follow their recommendations in your owners manual. I would think you will have no problems if you do.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Islander View Post
First, welcome to the forum. Were the range conditions the same? Did you use the same ammo? Were you shooting off hand or from a rest? Did you have someone else shoot it, and if so did they have the same results? As you can see, there may be many reasons that may have caused your problem. My guess is it's not the gun.
same range, same ammo (CCI brass 230 gr), shooting from 10 yards, off hand. No I did not have someone else shoot it. But I did switch to my CZ SP-01 and got a much smaller group.
So far, it had only 200 rounds.
I hope it's me, not the gun. But I suspect that the gun was not put back properly after I cleaned it after the 1st range trip.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Siliconian. I highly doubt "that the gun was not put back properly after I cleaned it" if that was the case it probably would not have functioned properly. Isn't the CZ SP-01 a 9mm maybe it's just a matter of you learning to adapt to the larger caliber. You could also try shooting it off of a solid rest like a sandbag.
Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #6

Most of the time when that happens you have either changed you grip or stance . If you are using a weaver stance check where your feet are, also the 1911 frame is a lot different then your CZ
“Denial kills you twice. It kills you once, at your moment of truth when you are not physically prepared: You didn’t bring your gun; you didn’t train. Your only defense was wishful thinking. Hope is not a strategy. Denial kills you a second time because even if you do physically survive, you are psychologically shattered by fear, helplessness, horror and shame at your moment of truth.”

NRA certified pistol Instructor.
v35b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #7

Wink My 2 Cents Worth!!

Sadly, I believe that you have developed a flinch!!! Try doing some dry firing work with your TLE. An excellent method for doing this is to take a 1' square piece of 1/4" plywood and mount it to a wall (in basement or garage) at eye level, attach a sheet of standard printer paper to the plywood with an 1" X drawn in the center. Now, physically and visually verify that your pistol is unloaded and no ammo is present in the room, then, place a standard #2 pencil down the barrel, pushed back against the breech. While holding the muzzle about 3/4" away from the paper, sight on the center of the X. Concentrate on your sight picture, breathing and trigger squeeze. When you pull the trigger, the firing pin strike will force the pencil out of the barrel and into the paper, leaving a mark on the paper. Continue until you have "fired" 10 -15 "shots". Lower your pistol and you will find that your actions have created a "grouping" left by the pencil point on the paper. Keep working on the fundamentals of good marksmanship with this exercise. Strive to create the smallest groupings possible.

I learned this trick from a fellow pistol shooter, who was part of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, at Ft. Benning, Georgia. You will be amazed what it will do for your accuracy and elimination of a flinch!!! Give it a try and let us know how it works out.

Keep 'em in the 10 ring and be safe!!
Oops, I forgot........welcome to the forum!!!
Richard and twistedlim like this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 11-04-2014 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Because I can!!
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:10 AM   #8

Welcome from Ohio

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:11 AM   #9

Originally Posted by lineman73 View Post
Sadly, I believe that you have developed a flinch!!!

I hope it is not contagious... oops I already caught it...
twistedlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #10

update on my TLE

after practiced dry fire for a few days, and carefully checked my TLE, I took it to the range today. I paid a lot of attention to my trigger control, the result was good. The group went back to about 1.5 to 2 in with 2 fliers. For those 2 fliers, I clearly noticed a shake of my hand, which must be the so called flinch.
Thanks a lot to lineman73 and everyone.
My TLE did not have a problem. The problem was me, and it's fixed now. That really feels good.