Ultra carry II ext slide release - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #1

Ultra carry II ext slide release

Looking for an extended slide release any recommendations? How hard to change on this gun? Thanks in advance
Gunjunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #2

Ultra carry II ext slide release

There are many manufacturers of quality parts. I'm partial to Wilson Combat. As far as simplicity, the slide release on a 1911 style pistol is about the easiest upgrade you can make. It comes out with every field strip. Simply put the new one in when you reassemble the pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jctyler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Gunjunkee View Post
Looking for an extended slide release any recommendations? How hard to change on this gun? Thanks in advance
The part you're looking for is called a slide stop, the proper way to release a slide is to slingshot it. Using the slide stop to release the slide will eventually wear both the slide and the stop. That being said check out Brownells website, while you're there request a free copy of their free 1911 catalog every 1911 owner should have a copy of this catalog.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
The part you're looking for is called a slide stop, the proper way to release a slide is to slingshot it. Using the slide stop to release the slide will eventually wear both the slide and the stop. That being said check out Brownells website, while you're there request a free copy of their free 1911 catalog every 1911 owner should have a copy of this catalog.

Most call it a slide lock, yes, but if he was to try to purchase one, it really depends on what brand he is looking at it. If he's looking to buy from Ed Brown, they call it a slide lock. If He's buying from Wilson Combat they refer to it as a slide release. That's all just semantics, and not nearly as bad as the magazine/clip controversy.

IMHO the proper way to release the slide is the way you've been trained to do it. Whether that is slingshot or using the slide lock. Larry Vickers, for instance, teaches the use of the slide lock/release with the support hand thumb, and has stated many times that he's seen no evidence of wear on the slide or lock. That being said I personally use the slingshot method being as that was the way I was taught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jctyler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #5

Thanks guys great info. I was taught slingshot and I looked at Wilson's slide release, lol stop. Chuck will check out brownells web site.

Love this gun, now looking at another kimber just not sure which one yet.
Gunjunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #6

I agree with using the release to let the slide go forward. I also agree with training yourself for use of your "off hand". Using the grip hand often requires adjusting the grip on the weapon. This is not a situation one wants to be in when in an emergence or defensive situation.
Use the thumb on your off hand, keep the web and thumb of your grip hand out of the way and you're ready to rock.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #7

FWIW, I did the NRA Pistol and IL Concealed Carry classes this weekend.

They taught releasing the slide, with the off hand, at the back of the slide, palm down over the rear sight.

The logic was fine motor skills are reduced in stress, and you have a stronger grip on the slide with your palm over the top of the rear slide area, than sling-shotting between your thumb and index finger of the off hand. They were drilling this in at the range, to do it and commit it to muscle memory / habit.

Good instructors, Camp Perry competition regulars.
Send Margaritas is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

how to lock the slide kimber ultra carry

kimber 1911 extended slide release

kimber extended slide release

Click on a term to search for related topics.