First 1911 – Stainless Pro TLE/RL II - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #1
EKG

First 1911 – Stainless Pro TLE/RL II

Decided to get a 45 and was as thinking about a Beretta PX4, but it just didn’t feel right to me. I wasn’t really considering a 1911 series but the counter guy showed me a Remington R1 and I knew then I would end up buying a 1911. After heading back to the house to do some research I started pricing a commander sized gun with a rail. I ran across a killer deal on a new-old-stock (internal extractor) Stainless Pro TLE/RL II and pulled the trigger.

I was originally looking at a laser and light combo, but ran across a killer deal (especially after the current $50 rebate) on a set of Crimson Trace Cocobolo grips which made the gun feel even better to me. I struggled a bit on the decision for the light but settled on the SureFire XC-1 due to its size and AAA battery. Next purchases were for a few Tripp Cobra 8-round magazines and a take-down tool from 1911 Tool (figured over the years it would end up being worth the price).

I’m heading to a friend’s house in the country this weekend and can hardly wait to fire off a few rounds to make sure it will be reliable. If the glass-like slide is any indication it should be fine.

2sharp2, bhunted, Tejun and 4 others like this.
EKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-06-2017, 06:03 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois EKG and congratulations on the TLE. Give it a good cleaning and lube before making that first range trip and when it's time to replace the recoil spring invest in a Wilson Combat flat wire spring. Smoother running, 10X's longer life and you can forget about needing any break down tools.
swca and JC45 like this.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:49 AM   #3

EKG, welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois. As Chuck mentioned, give it a good cleaning and oil for these early break-in sessions. The TLE is a great platform, so let us know how the 1st range sessions go.
swca likes this.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2017, 06:52 AM   #4

Very kewl. What's in that little tube with the red caps?

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:08 AM   #5

Welcome from Northeast, Pa
Congratulations on your TLE Pro.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:19 AM   #6

Nice find on that NOS Kimber...and welcome to the forum!
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #7

EKG, welcome to the site from Tennessee. Nice find in the TLE.
I agree clean and lube before your range session.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #8
EKG

Thanks to all for the welcome and comments. I appreciate the heads up on making sure it’s properly lubed. During my initial research it appears the platform might be a little finicky but I know proper preparation and maintenance goes a long way with anything mechanical. So, I’ll be using the information from Larry Vicker’s article “Lubricating the 1911” as well as the Kimber manual as my starter’s guide. However, my first handgun, which I bought in 1991 and still own, is a nickel plated Colt Government 380. With it being pretty much a “mini-1911”, this Kimber seems a bit familiar, albeit a lot bigger!

bhunted, the tube with the red caps contains a break down tool from 1911 Ultra Tools. It does away with the paperclip while holding and aligning the slide stop and takedown notch for two handed installation of the slide stop. I don’t mind admitting I put an idiot mark on the Colt the first time putting it back together (26-years ago) and knew to be careful on this Kimber. I wasn’t originally concerned with using the factory paperclip like tool or scratching this gun. However, I also don’t mind admitting I was struggling while trying to get the slide stop back in on this Kimber and somehow the paperclip came out. That was enough for me to find an alternative and bone-head proof solution.
Tejun likes this.
EKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:57 PM   #9

First 1911 – Stainless Pro TLE/RL II

Gotchha. A lot of us have those tools. Couldn't tell but thats a great way not to lose it. Much easier on they eyes too.
Good luck with the new toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #10

Howdy from Fort Bend County, Texas!
Nice pistol! I have Stainless TLE IIs in Custom and Ultra. Once I got them broken in, they have been great! Also have a Px4 but a compact in .40 S&W. Nice little pistol, but my Ultra is my EDC.

Funny you mention the 1911 Ultra Tool. I was literally thinking about getting one moments before I sat down at my PC to read this thread!
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote