Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2014, 01:00 AM   #1

PRO CDP II Photos, repair and range report

So this is my Pro CDP II.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

As my member intro stated, its a work in progress.

I got this pistol second hand at my LGS. Tag price was $1,275.00 with New CTC grips, Original grips, single and ambi safety included and 3 Kimpro tac mags. After looking it over I realized the previous owner had decided to smooth out the trigger.....which is all well and fine except they decided to do it with a dremel. They also decided to do it with said dremel WITHOUT removing the trigger and bow from the frame. End result...........well they scratched the heck out of the frame and put some gouges into it, also gougued the heck out of the trigger. After speaking to the Manager I was able to get him to drop the price to $1075.00 and throw in a Nice Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig and 2x boxes of 230g Federal HST's :-D

FullSizeRender (4).jpg
So I set out to fix that with my own dremel on low speed and a 250x sanding disk. However I detail stripped it first and was able to repair the damage to the trigger.

image1.JPG

Next will come smoothing the aluminium frame for a nice cerakote black finish to make it all pretty again.

I also jigged the sear and filed that a bit honed the contact on the hammer, polished the trigger bow and rails, mirror polished the feed ramp and adjusted the overtravel on the trigger and it now breaks at 3.5 clean :-D Whoop!

The Recoil spring felt like it should be in a 9mm so a Wolff spring upgrade and it returned it to its ridiculously tight Kimber mannerisms.

Some fresh batteries in the CTC and its good to go.

Brought her to the range with me with 200 rounds of WWB 230g hardball. Took some dirty bird reactive targets and set them out at 15 yards and started shooting. All my shots were high until I realized i've been carrying a sig for years and a 1911's sights are different, after I dropped my front sight to just under the bullseye vs covering it I was able to group 2-3" at that distance which makes me pretty happy.

During shooting I had zero FTE's FTF's Jams, hangfires or light primer strikes, also not a stovepipe to be seen.

Only complaint is about 5 times the pistol did eject brass directly between my eyes, but that's nothing that a bit of adjustment cant handle.

The paperwork that came with the pistol stated the original owner had sent it back to yonkers when he purchased it in 2013. Due to fail to eject issues. Also states the extractor and ejector were adjusted.........well needs to be done again.

Overall the pistol ran like a clock minus the brass to the face. But as we all know 1911's are picky and I just have to tune it in a tad more to get the desired effect that I want :-)

Attachment 3323
Chuck43, Insta-Gator and RustyIron like this.

Last edited by NothernKimbah; 11-18-2014 at 01:06 AM.
NothernKimbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-18-2014, 04:10 AM   #2

Nice work. Good report.

Where/how did you obtain your smithing skills? I found your post in the DIY Trigger Job thread to be spot on, but then I wondered how one of us might attain the level of knowledge and competence required.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #3

Very nice pistol you have there. I have very few mechanical skills, so I admire those who have those skills. I also admire someone who knows better than to work on their own pistol when they don't have the proper skills....
Chuck43 and Insta-Gator like this.

Mario Andretti
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
Banned

ditto about the gunsmithing trigger job. I'm not taking a chance on a DIY job. So where are you and when can I send you my 1911?
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Nice work. Good report.

Where/how did you obtain your smithing skills? I found your post in the DIY Trigger Job thread to be spot on, but then I wondered how one of us might attain the level of knowledge and competence required.
My grandfather. He was a machinist I always thought he was making car parts or something growing up, when I turned 10 or so he showed me his hobby. Building 1911's from scratch in the garage. Only parts he didnt make were the slides, made everything else by hand.

He taught me the basics and I went to just trial and error myself.

Sears are a pain in the junk. I can tune a ruger sp101 or S&W J frame trigger in about 35 minutes with a dremel and some mothers polish. However a good 1911 trigger will take me 4-5 hours to do right.

Key on those i've noticed is windex, its a amazing lubricant and allows you to remove very small amounts of material without going too far, cause well once you go to far you need a new sear haha
Insta-Gator likes this.

Last edited by NothernKimbah; 12-14-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Very nice pistol you have there. I have very few mechanical skills, so I admire those who have those skills. I also admire someone who knows better than to work on their own pistol when they don't have the proper skills....
Its coming along.

By the time its done the finish will be repaired and cerakoted.

The slide will have melted front serrations.

Frame will be Super carry bobbed to a very rounded angle.

Trigger will be shortened.

the Front strap will have more of a a chainlink or Raptor style pattern to it if I can figure a way to cut it without removing too much.

Crown will be a deeper angle as well.

I'm one of those people who cant leave great alone, I have to improve on it :-p
Old 11-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #7

Originally Posted by NothernKimbah View Post
Its coming along.

By the time its done the finish will be repaired and cerakoted.

The slide will have melted front serrations.

Frame will be Super carry bobbed to a very rounded angle.

Trigger will be shortened.

the Front strap will have more of a a chainlink or Raptor style pattern to it if I can figure a way to cut it without removing too much.

Crown will be a deeper angle as well.

I'm one of those people who cant leave great alone, I have to improve on it :-p
Who is doing the Super Carry BOB Job?
DGM1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:09 PM   #8

Wink What The Over.......?

With the added bonus of the previous owners self-inflicted gunsmithing work, it sounds to me like the guy at the LGS still owes you about $500!!! Obviously you enjoy working on project guns. So do I. But, if you had to pay to have the amateur 'smith's handy work corrected, it would cost way over the "break in price" they gave you. I'm just sayin'.......

However, the satisfaction and pride upon completion of your project could far outweigh any monetary figure. The only one who really needs to be happy with the cost of the project pistol is you!!!

Please send photos when you complete the project. You may prove me wrong. If that is the case, I like my crow roasted over an open flame!!! Ah yes, roast prime rib of crow, au juice!! Mmmmmmmm good!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:04 AM   #9

Originally Posted by lineman73 View Post
With the added bonus of the previous owners self-inflicted gunsmithing work, it sounds to me like the guy at the LGS still owes you about $500!!! Obviously you enjoy working on project guns. So do I. But, if you had to pay to have the amateur 'smith's handy work corrected, it would cost way over the "break in price" they gave you. I'm just sayin'.......

However, the satisfaction and pride upon completion of your project could far outweigh any monetary figure. The only one who really needs to be happy with the cost of the project pistol is you!!!

Please send photos when you complete the project. You may prove me wrong. If that is the case, I like my crow roasted over an open flame!!! Ah yes, roast prime rib of crow, au juice!! Mmmmmmmm good!!
We'll Ill stoke the fire for ya now haha I paid nothing for repairs :-D

All the work to the trigger and now the frame to remove the screw up was my own, the trigger job that dropped it to a crisp 3.0 lbs, that was my jig and file that did it. I've been working on 1911's since i was 9........that puts it to almost 20 years now :-D

I took the gun for the price because of the damage, even though the price was high.

I could have bought a brand new one for about $200 more. But that's just a perfect gun at retail price.

This will be MY gun.....even going to have my initials laser etched into it right after the SN ;-)

Nothing gives ownership more than rebuilding a wreck into a masterpiece ;-)
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #10

Hey, Kimbah.
When you get around to the extractor and ejector, how about a few words on what you're doing and why? Thx.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

how to fix a scratched frame on a kimber cdp 2?

Click on a term to search for related topics.