Kimber Ultra - Difficult to Brass Check - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2017, 06:42 PM   #1

Kimber Ultra - Difficult to Brass Check

Hello, everyone,

I am brand new to the forums, so apologies ahead of time if I make any mistakes here.

I have a Raptor Ultra (3" barrel) chambered in 9mm.

So far, the gun has roughly 300-350 rounds through it, beyond the usual break-in pains of the 1911, everything has gone smoothly, except for one thing.

Doing a brass check and/or manually ejecting the chambered round is very difficult. The slide feels stuck, and I have to apply an unusual amount of force to eject the round. I have not been able to perform a successful brass check, because of the force required, meaning the force required to move the slide is such that I end up ejecting the round anyway.

The weird thing is that this is only true with live rounds. Using snap caps, both of these processes are smoothly performed.

I am in the process of doing some testing using different ammunition, but I decided to post here in case this is a known issue. Currently I only have Kimber magazines for this gun, but I plan on ordering some Wilson Combat ones in this size, since they are what I use in my full size Kimbers.

Any advice in regards to this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
KlytusLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #2

I polish my chambers and feed ramps with a dremel and jewelers rouge.
Mini Me likes this.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #3

Recoil spring can be stiff when new especially on the compact models it seems. The snap caps probably are not spec'd to tight tolerances. Polishing the chamber and ramp like the kid suggests may help some. Your idea of different ammo could help some. Flat wire recoil spring kits make things smoother and maybe some slide glide or your favorite lube on the slide rails. All in all sounds like a good running Raptor just needs a little TLC

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2017, 10:16 PM   #4

I believe most models have a slot milled in the top of the chamber to allow for checking if there's a round loaded?
Chuck43, 2sharp2, swca and 1 others like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:04 PM   #5

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
I believe most models have a slot milled in the top of the chamber to allow for checking if there's a round loaded?
I think you may be right about the slot Cousin but seems like I always pull back the slide on my automatics to check anyway. That is just me stuck in my ways of doing things.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:40 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Klytuslord. Be aware that if you start polishing the internals of your gun you can void your warranty. If the gun is operating normally when fired then I think it's safe to say there is nothing wrong with it. Your gun is equipped with a LOADED CHAMBER INDICATOR PORT and as the owner of multiple Ultra models I can say that you will find that as the gun is broken in your slide will become easier to operate. If you feel that the gun is not operating properly then contact Kimbers Customer Service.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
Hours: MF, 9:30 a.m.7 p.m. Eastern

Now, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?
2sharp2, DaveinNC and 380help like this.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:00 AM   #7

Leave the slide locked back for awhile and see if that helps.
Bonjorno2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:27 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bonjorno2 View Post
Leave the slide locked back for awhile and see if that helps.
I used to be of the school that thought loading a spring and letting it sit weakened or worked the stiffens out of it. For example, load a magazine and let it sit loaded to relax the spring, I was wrong. Research into the subject of spring wear straightened me out. Compressing a spring or letting it sit relaxed has no effect on it. It's the compression and decompression cycles that weaken the spring.

Try removing the magazine and clearing the chamber, double check it then while watching TV rack the slide a couple of hundred times that should help more the locking the slide back.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #9

Brass check = press check
I'm a 1911 addict -- GI CCO 9mm, WC Sentinel Compact 9mm, WC ULCC 9mm, WC Professional 38 super, WC Stealth 38 super, WC Bobtail Professional 9mm, DW CCO 38 super, DW CBOB 38 super, Kimber Ultra Aegis 9mm and a little Sig P938
azguy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I used to be of the school that thought loading a spring and letting it sit weakened or worked the stiffens out of it. For example, load a magazine and let it sit loaded to relax the spring, I was wrong. Research into the subject of spring wear straightened me out. Compressing a spring or letting it sit relaxed has no effect on it. It's the compression and decompression cycles that weaken the spring.

Try removing the magazine and clearing the chamber, double check it then while watching TV rack the slide a couple of hundred times that should help more the locking the slide back.
lol, OP said he has to apply more force I was under the impression it would take him a few hundred times just to lock it back. j/k
Bonjorno2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber 1911 break in procedure

Click on a term to search for related topics.