Polishing Feed Ramp with Flitz - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #1

Polishing Feed Ramp with Flitz

I have recently purchase a new Solo and Super Carry Ultra +.
I think I want to polish the feed ramp on both in order for the guns to feed better. I am not talking about using a grinder or dremel just Flitz on a q-tip.
I called Kimber and spoke to a CS who told me that would void my warranty.

He is the same guy that told me my Custon Crimson Carry II and my Super Carry Ultra + had the exact same safety features. I was told later by another CS that the safety's were indeed different. Mixed signals causes doubt in my mind.

Anybody have any ideas on rather or not I should polish the feed ramps?
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #2

Last edited by Barenjager; 06-21-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Barenjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #3

I ran a little over 200 rounds through the SCUP. I know I should wait until about 4-5 hundred rounds before I send that one back.

On the Solo, I ran about 30-40 rounds through it. 24 of them, JHP as recommended. When the mag is full (6 rounds), and I rack a round in the chamber, the round nose dives and the slide doesn't pick it up and fails to load. I guess I can always load it differently. This is my third Kimber in 9 months. The first one a Kimber Custom Crimson II also had FTL 's until after the break in period. When ammunition is more available I will run a couple hundred through the SCUP and more in the SOLO.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #4

Last edited by Barenjager; 06-21-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Barenjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #5

Initially yes, some rounds would fail to feed. After about 100 rounds the FTF stopped but the slide would not close all the way when I would load a fresh magazine and drop the slide stop to move the slide forward. These may NOT be attributed to the feed ramp and could be a need for a longer break-in period.

After your earlier post regarding the Flitz polishing, I took both guns apart and examined the feed ramps. The edges of the SCUP were sharp and rough. The Solo was pretty smooth. I use the Flitz on the Solo and it now has mirror like finish ,very smooth and I doubt it was cause anything to hang up. The SCUB I lightly and I mean lightly ran 1000 grit autobody sandpaper over the rough edges on the side of the ramp and then Flitz the main ramp as well as the side I honed. Feels very smooth now.

I will run as many rounds through them as I can when weather, money and ammunition is more available and to my liking.

In the meantime I will load one round in the Solo and then add one back to the magazine. I understand exactly what you meant by the springs in the mag being stiff and the bullet position.

Thank you for all your insight. I appreciate your help and advice.

Last edited by Nellybelle; 03-25-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #6

Initially yes, some rounds would fail to feed. After about 100 rounds the FTF stopped but the slide would not close all the way when I would load a fresh magazine. These may NOT be atributed the feed ramp and could be just more need for a longer breakin period.

After your earlier post regarding the Flitz polishing, I took both guns apart and examined the feed ramps. The edges of the SCUP were sharp and rough. The Solo was pretty smooth. I use the Flitz on the Solo and it now has mirror like finish ,very smooth and I doubt it was cause anything to hang up. The SCUB I lightly and I mean lightly ran 1000 grit automotive sandpaper over the rough edges on the side of the ramp and then Flitz the main ramp as well as the side I honed.

I will run as many rounds theough them as I can when weather ,money and ammunition is more available.

In the meantime I will load one round in the Solo and then add to the magazine. I understand exactly what you meant by the springs in the mag being stiff and the bullet position.

Thank yuo for all your insight. I appreciate your help and advice.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #7

For some reason my Solo does not like to hold six rounds in the magazine either. Five is fine, six is a no go. I'm keeping six loaded in the magazine to try to "stretch" it out for a while, but I notice that the sixth one always seems to try to ease out on it's own.
rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #8

Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post
For some reason my Solo does not like to hold six rounds in the magazine either. Five is fine, six is a no go. I'm keeping six loaded in the magazine to try to "stretch" it out for a while, but I notice that the sixth one always seems to try to ease out on it's own.
Definitely sounds like overly aggressive springs. Please let us know how things work after a few weeks sitting under full load.
farruggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #9

Originally Posted by farruggio View Post
Definitely sounds like overly aggressive springs. Please let us know how things work after a few weeks sitting under full load.
It'll be interesting to see how this experiment progresses. I managed to find an extra magazine on eBay ($40, ouch, but hey, I now have two!). It's loaded with 6 Critical Duty's in the nightstand drawer. The other one also has CD's but I took them out and shot 20 rounds through it at the range at 5 per magazine. Wonder if they'll stretch at the same rate....
rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #10

I have read on this forum and talked to Kimber CS. It seemes everyone agrees that letting the new mags set for a couple of weeks fully loaded when new will help relax the tension for loading. I hope they're right but not to the extent to cause feeding problems.

Search tags for this page

1911 feed ramp polishing

best product to polish a slide ramp with
flitz feed ramp
how to polish a ramp on kimber 1911

kimber solo feed ramp

polish ramp kimber solo
polishing feed ramp on kimber ultra

polishing feed ramp with flitz

Click on a term to search for related topics.