Kimber .22 Conversion Kit....??? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #1

Kimber .22 Conversion Kit....???

Like most of you guys I'm always looking down the road for that next gun or accessory purchase. Sometimes we do need to plan ahead and save up our pocket change.

I've been looking at the Kimber .22 Conversion Kit to put on my Classic Custom. My CC has an excellent trigger and I think it would make a great .22 target pistol too. I'm sure many of your have tried them. So...how do they shoot? Accurate? Any fitting issues? Ammo friendly or finicky? Are they worth it or should I just buy a whole new gun in .22?

Kimber and Midway seem to run them on sale about twice a year and next time I think I might go for it. Opinions?... suggestions?
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #2

There is a Kimber conversion kit for sale on Arms list right now. $215.00 You could see if they would ship. it is not a gun so no mail restrictions to worry about. It is listed in San Diego it should come up in all 48 but not sure.
PaulWVa likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #3

I am using the .22 conversion kit on my TLE/RL II. Accuracy is quiet good (depending on the ammo). I found the conversion kit to be really ammo finicky (shooting in winter is more like using a bolt action). I had the best results with CCI Mini Mags and Blazer .22s.
It might take some break in (which happens quiet fast since it's an aluminum slide).
PaulWVa likes this.
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #4

I have conversion kits for both my Kimber and my Sig. Both work extremely well. Like Adamant, I find CCI MiniMags always work. Cheaper or weaker ammo can be a problem, so I just don't bother with it anymore, especially since prices and availability have become reasonable again.

I really like that I am handling exactly the same gun, but with much less recoil - no recoil, actually. I have found this helpful in eliminating any tendency to jerk the gun due to anticipation of recoil, and that translates into when I go back to shooting 45's as well.

I just wish you could fill the mags all the way, instead of being limited to 10 rounds.
Adamant, speedydg13 and PaulWVa like this.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #5

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by P8RIOT View Post
...I just wish you could fill the mags all the way, instead of being limited to 10 rounds.
I'm afraid you can thank certain states, mine in particular, for forced compliance on ALL citizens through lack of options. And not restricting the rights of just those in their particular state.
swca and PaulWVa like this.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #6

I just wish you could fill the mags all the way, instead of being limited to 10 rounds.
There are 14-round mags available (Pro Mag for example). Never tried them though, since they are not available here. But it might be an option?
speedydg13 and PaulWVa like this.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #7

Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
...Are they worth it or should I just buy a whole new gun in 22?
I originally thought of it as a cheap way to shoot 22's. I now consider it sort of a pain to switch back and forth (however simple it may be), so I'm back to trolling for a good 22 plinker, just for fun. The part I didn't expect is how much it improved my shooting the full size, full power 1911's (and probably all the others,too).
swca and PaulWVa like this.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #8

If you want a good and cheap platform to improve on your 1911 and having fun, I'd suggest going for the conversion kit.
If you want a reliable target .22 pistol that eats everything you feed it with, there are better options out there.

Just my 2 cents.
PaulWVa likes this.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:28 PM   #9

My instructions specifically mentioned to use "HV" ammunition.

But what surprised me was the quality of the build. It looked like it was "crafted."
Adamant and PaulWVa like this.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #10

I originally thought of it as a cheap way to shoot 22's. I now consider it sort of a pain to switch back and forth (however simple it may be), so I'm back to trolling for a good 22 plinker, just for fun. The part I didn't expect is how much it improved my shooting the full size, full power 1911's (and probably all the others,too).
Yeah...I thought about the switching around thing too. But I have two other 1911s that need exercising too. A Kimber T2, 9mm and a Ruger SR1911, .45 so I don't think I would switch around the .22 conversion all that often...just now and then. But then a new Ruger MK IV sounds nice too. I've always wanted a Colt Ace ....but the prices now have too many zeros and some have commas....yikes!
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

cci blazer 22 lr

Click on a term to search for related topics.