Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Chuck43
  • 2 Post By bimmerland
  • 2 Post By Richard
  • 2 Post By v35b

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 06:40 AM   #1

carry pro II 9mm and wilson flatware spring for .38

I just bought a kimber pro carry II 9mm, and was thinking of replacing the kimber spring with the wilson flat wire spring designed for the 38. The Wilson tech rep said it would work fine in the 9mm, but with light loads I might want to clip a few springs. Does anyone have experience using this wilson flat wire spring in their 9mm, and does the tech rep mean that if sometimes with the increased tension in the flat wire spring if the bullet is a lower grain it might misfire?
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-05-2015, 06:52 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois darius, I use the WCFW recoil spring in 2 of my PRO model 45's but have no experience with them in 9mm. I would have to believe what the WC rep suggested, the gun wouldn't misfire but it may not fully cycle because of the increased spring pressure. Why not wait until you get the gun fully broken in before you start experimenting with the recoil spring?
Richard and darius like this.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #3

I have the Wilson combat spring kit in my pro carry 2 with no issues. Check the spring included in the 9mm kit. It should be stock since that is what wc included in my 45acp kit. I like it because you don't need special tools to field strip.
Richard and darius like this.
bimmerland is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #4

Originally Posted by darius View Post
I just bought a kimber pro carry II 9mm, and was thinking of replacing the kimber spring with the wilson flat wire spring designed for the 38. The Wilson tech rep said it would work fine in the 9mm, but with light loads I might want to clip a few springs. Does anyone have experience using this wilson flat wire spring in their 9mm, and does the tech rep mean that if sometimes with the increased tension in the flat wire spring if the bullet is a lower grain it might misfire?
What is meant by "light loads"? If you load your own ammo, and if you cast your own lightweight SWC lead bullets, and if you use a light powder charge, then you could see failures to cycle properly, as Chuck pointed out. If you use factory ammunition, I'm not sure that the spring would ever be a problem.

Keep in mind that, if you clip the spring, clip it too much, and then shoot heavy loads like self-defense loads, you could damage your gun. I know. Been there, done that.

Chuck43 and darius like this.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #5

Thanks, I will break it in then. I just like the idea of being able to take the gun apart without special tools, and the fact that the Wislon spring lasts longer. But I am in no rush, and I had no trouble breaking the gun down, although I ordered a tool to help me hold the spring down when I reassemble it and put the L tool back in as I don't like using the gun frame to do that. Thanks again :-)
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:28 PM   #6

I put one in my pro carry II and had no problems even with light loads with 115gn bullets, but I did not change it until after 500 rounds on the Kimber spring
bluzman and darius like this.
“Denial kills you twice. It kills you once, at your moment of truth when you are not physically prepared: You didn’t bring your gun; you didn’t train. Your only defense was wishful thinking. Hope is not a strategy. Denial kills you a second time because even if you do physically survive, you are psychologically shattered by fear, helplessness, horror and shame at your moment of truth.”

NRA certified pistol Instructor.
v35b is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber 9mm pro flat wire

kimber pro 9mm flat wire
kimber pro 9mm flatwire

kimber pro carry ii with wilson spring

Click on a term to search for related topics.