Frustrated with Super Carry Ultra HD - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 06:51 AM   #1

Frustrated with Super Carry Ultra HD

Range visit yesterday. Should've been a good thing - brought another couple with us, shooting at a brand new location for our LGS.

First problem - in preparation for the range I took my EDC (Super Carry Ultra HD) out of it's holster to install the new BLACK slide stop that Kimber sent last week. Hoping this will fix my problem & will also look much better than the Stainless one they sent last time. Instead of this being a quick part swap, I notice MY GUIDE ROD IS MISSING!!!! Mr. Chickadee manages to disassemble the pistol for me & we decide to borrow the guide rod assembly from my Tactical Ultra to make the Super Carry functional.

At this point I'm pretty angry that my pistol has simply come apart during carry sometime since the last range visit & I have unknowingly been staking my life on a pistol that didn't warrant that level of trust.

Good news: Super Carry functions flawlessly with the new slide stop (& borrowed guide rod assembly).

Bad News: Left grip is loose - the ones I bought from SGM & Mr. Chickadee installed with Locktite using a regular sized bushing & slim screws (the regular screws were too long but the regular bushings seemed to fit OK, Michael at SGM had told me he couldn't do these grips as slim, but apparently they aren't standard thickness either).

Second Problem: Taking a better look at the loose grip we discover it's actually rocking side to side. Mr. Chickadee removes it & discovers the holes for the bushings aren't the correct size, causing the grip to not sit completely flush on the frame. The Right grip is fine. He attempts to install the slim bushings I bought from Strike Industries & finds that the threads on the bushings aren't done well & have now caused a problem with the threads on my frame. He doesn't have the correct size tap to fix the threads on the frame. My pistol is now disabled because of grips that don't fit right & bushings that were listed as 'designed in California' but the fine print states 'made in China'.

SOOOOOO FRUSTRATED!!!!!!

The good news - My Trusty litttle Sig P238 is available to take over as EDC while we sort all this out.

Mario Andretti
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-05-2015, 07:07 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems with your Super Carry Ultra HD. "Made In China" those words make my skin crawl. Mr. Chickadee is going to need a .236-60 thread tap and his best bet for finding one will probably be Brownells or MidwayUSA.
MPO Southy likes this.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems with your Super Carry Ultra HD. "Made In China" those words make my skin crawl. Mr. Chickadee is going to need a .236-60 thread tap and his best bet for finding one will probably be Brownells or MidwayUSA.
Thanks for the help - the tap has already been ordered from Midway, along with a new set of bushing & screws made by Nighthawk in the USA.
MPO Southy likes this.

Mario Andretti

Old 01-05-2015, 07:16 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Here's a link to the tap on MidwayUSA.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:20 AM   #5

I'll also be calling Kimber today & expecting them to send me a replacement guide rod assembly.

I wish I could be optimistic that the tap, new bushings/screws & guide rod assembly will fix all the problems. I'm now not sure I will ever trust that guide rod, even with Loktite on it. Mr. Chickadee says when he gets his new welder he can spot weld it together for me - I think I would like that!

We're also not sure that the slim bushings will fix the grip problem - I may just have to get new grips if Mr. Chickadee can't modify the holes to make them fit.

I for one will not be doing business with Strike Industries or SGM grips again.

Mario Andretti
Old 01-05-2015, 07:35 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Honestly right now I'd be more concerned with getting the threads in the frame straightened out so you won't be forced to install oversize bushings.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:43 AM   #7

Just called Kimber - the recoil spring/rod assembly is out of stock. The best they would do for me is create a 'profile' with all my information & then I have to call them back next week to see if the part is available to ship yet.

They apparently have no ability to just place an order for the part & ship it when it's available. I even explained (very politely) that this is my EDC & I depend on this pistol DAILY. Not even an apology that this has happened to my pistol.

NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!!!!!

Mario Andretti
Old 01-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #8

I can understand why they use a screw on rod with the double spring system, but I don't really like it. So far all my guide rods have remained in place. They show the complete assembly in the Kimber Store for $47.95. If they have them in stock at the store, why couldn't they ship you one of those?

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #9

This I think is the issue with warranty department phones being answered in Montana while the parts and gunsmiths are in NY. It should be very simple. Go back to the assembly area and take the parts and ship. Hell they should take it out of a gun being built or already built prior to shipping and send it to you! After all you already paid your money.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
I can understand why they use a screw on rod with the double spring system, but I don't really like it. So far all my guide rods have remained in place. They show the complete assembly in the Kimber Store for $47.95. If they have them in stock at the store, why couldn't they ship you one of those?
Originally Posted by Mike240 View Post
This I think is the issue with warranty department phones being answered in Montana while the parts and gunsmiths are in NY. It should be very simple. Go back to the assembly area and take the parts and ship. Hell they should take it out of a gun being built or already built prior to shipping and send it to you! After all you already paid your money.
I totally agree! I spent 2 days cooling off & then called again. I was lucky enough to speak with a SUPER HELPFUL female rep who was not only apologetic for what happened with my guide rod, but was also able to order one for me. Should have it next week.
Insta-Gator and Lineman like this.

Mario Andretti

Search tags for this page

kimber 1911 shaula plute

what grips are on the kimber super carry ultra hd

Click on a term to search for related topics.