Loose grips on Super Carry Custom HD - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #1

Loose grips on Super Carry Custom HD

Greetings!

I just picked up my new Super Carry Custom HD about a week and a half ago. Put 115 rounds through it the day I got it. Thrilled with the results. No issues, amazing trigger, dead accurate... everything!

Thinking about taking it back to the range in the next day or so. Picked it up last night, and noticed that the right grip is loose. I can tighten it down, no problem, but a quick check of some of the 1911 forums seems to suggest that this is a common issue. Recommendations range from replacing the grips to shortening the grip screws to getting some #60 "O" rings.

I still love the gun, but am wondering if this is something others have experienced, and if it will be a concern going forward.
farruggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #2

I too bought a new Super Carry Ultra + about a week and a half ago. Same issue for me yesterday. I put 132 rounds trough it yesterday and when I cleaned it last night the right grip bushing came out of the frame. I finnaly got it off the grip screw and clean the threads. I carefully replaced the bushing to the frame and re-attached the grip.

I remember reading on the 1911 forum that someone used "loctight" and used too much resulting in a magazine issue. I elected not to use the "LocTight" and just tightened the bushing until it felt snug.

I called Kimber CS this morning and was told that they have some type spacer available but Cody wanted me to try it again and then call if the problem re-appeared????????

The gun has about 250 rounds through it and I have experienced several FTF with JHP and slide failures to return to battery. After going back to 230 gr FMJ the gun worked well. I will give it the benefit of the doubt until after the recommended breaking in period and see how it preforms. I love this SCUP but am concerend about these issues.

I also purchased a SOLO last week and had a couple FTF with it using 115 grain ammo. I ran 100 124JHP through it yesterday and it worked fine with only 1 FTF. I own 3 Kimbers purchased within the last 9 months. The 5 inch Custom Crimson Carry II also had some issues but is now working fine.
Sorry for the long post. I guess I got carried away.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #3

No big deal I have a eclipse that the grip screws work loose a little after 200 rds or more. I tried the O-ring waste of time unless you don't mind screws sticking out to far just retighten when needed.
Straight Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #4

Loose screws, scope rings, etc. are some of the things I check for every time i clean a gun. Not a big deal.
vetsvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I tightened the screws and shot again yesterday. All is good for now, and I will keep an eye on the grips. Now over 200 rounds and not a single malfunction of any kind. Using 230 JHP and 230 FMJ. Of the dozens of pistols I have owned, this Super Carry Custom is so far the most accurate, comfortable shooter I have had my hands on. Definitely keeping it around. Besides, who among us doesn't have a few screws loose from time to time?
Lineman likes this.
farruggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #6

Originally Posted by farruggio View Post
Besides, who among us doesn't have a few screws loose from time to time?
I have to agree with you on that. My Pro CDPII is way more accurate than I am. We were shooting at golf balls a couple of weeks ago and I was hitting at least 50% of my shots. Surprised the heck out of me. We had been shooting them with my .17HMR revolver, and I figured what the heck, I'll shoot "at" it with the .45. Imagine my surprise when the ball jumped about 20 yards.
vetsvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #7

Loose grip screws...loose screws on firearms in general...is common, if not normal. The yoke retaining screw and sideplate screws on S&W revolvers often loosen, especially on heavy recoiling calibers. Loktite shouldn't be used in these areas...instead, develop a habit of checking screws during cleaning or after an extensive shooting session.

Having the grip screw bushings back out on a 1911 is not normal however and should be rectified. Allowing this to happen repeatedly can lead to stripping the threads in the frame, causing a major headache.

A small drop of blue Loctite will hold the bushings, yet allow removal if ever necessary. The Loctite should be allowed to cure before the grips and grip screws are reinstalled. If someone is so hamfisted as to use such an excessive amount of Loctite as to cause magazine problems...they shouldn't have a 1911 in the first place.

Roe
Barenjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #8

+1 to what most have said. I bought my first kimber and first 1911 a few months ago and experienced the same loose screws. It worried me at first but i just put the correct size allen wrench in my gun kit and check screws during each cleaning. I love my super carry ultra!
Biomanghs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #9

Try a small amount of honey on the grip screw. Will keep them snug and not as difficult to remove as with loc tite.
cndrdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:53 AM   #10

I realy like it .I appericate this thread.Awesome! Thanks for that!
Brodon is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
grips for kimber super carry custom
kimber grips shooting loose

kimber super carry custom grips

kimber super carry custom hd

kimber super carry custom hd problems

kimber super carry pro grips

kimber super carry pro hd grips

kimbergrips vibrate loose
Click on a term to search for related topics.