My new Compact Stainless II, and some questions - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #1

My new Compact Stainless II, and some questions

Hi!
I have few questions and I thought this would be the best place to address them. And yes, I am new to the forum .
Sometime ago I decided to add a 1911 to my carry rotation. I wanted to have a Kimber and my initial intention was to buy a Carry Pro which I had already tried at the range, but I eventually decided for a Compact Stainless II because of the size of the grip. I thought that my ideal model would have been an 'HD' because of the added weight but my understanding is that the compact model is not available with a stainless steel frame. I have not done any modification other than having clear Cerakote applied to it when it was still new, so all parts are original and the trigger pull is as from the factory. So far I have shot exactly 500 rounds. Winchester white box, Blazer aluminum, PMC, Remington, Federal Champion brass and aluminum. All 230gr round nose. The pistol has functioned flawlessly. The only problems were a couple of FTF with Blazer but that was an 'operator error', so no blame on the pistols or on the ammo. During the last 300 rounds I had numerous cases sent directly to my head with the Federal and the PMC, but not with the Winchester and Blazer which I shot first and the Remington which I shot last, so I tend to think that it was an ammo issue, but I'll keep it monitored. At this point I have completed the break in period as per manual and so far I am very pleased with it. I think it was the right choice for both carrying and enjoying it at the range. Plus I think it is really a nice looking gun, even with the standard rubber grips. I have just purchased a holster, I am going to shoot at lest 100 hollow point 230gr Federal Hi Shok rounds and if they work I will start carrying it.

Here are my questions:

1) What regular maintenance would you recommend, if any? Ex: should I replace the recoil spring after x-thousands of rounds? Anything else I should keep in mind?

2) I am not (yet) concerned about the ammo being ejected directly to my head. I am not even sure if that is a problem that can show up during the break in period. Any thought?

3) I have four magazines. Two Kimber stainless and two Wilson Combat and I am not planning on adding more, but how do the Kimber magazines perform on the long run?

4) Any self defense ammo that it is well known for having issues with Kimber commander or officer sizes. I am asking in case I will want to “upgrade” from Federal Hi Shok.

Thanks in advance!
Insta-Gator, janton305 and Jflytle like this.
buck119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Very nice gun, congrats. I'm new to 1911s but the recoil spring replacement schedule should be in your manual. I would recommend Kimber Tac-Mag, lots of people say to trash the standard mags from Kimber.
buck119 likes this.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
Super Moderator

1. Follow the spring replacement guide on page 7 of the owners manual.

2. Go to our gunsmith sub forum and view the video "How to check the extractor tension"

3. I have 20+ Kimber magazines in both .45 & 9mm, some have had 10's of thousands of rounds cycled through them without a problem. Just periodically clean them and replace any springs that are weakening.

4 As for SD ammo all you can do is try them until you find one both you and your gun like.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
Banned

Welcome. As far as your questions, deal with them as they occur.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #5

I say Chuck is right on "target" with the answers to your questions.
Zoomybaby likes this.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #6

I have 1 Standard Kimber magazine that never worked right from brand new. How many of the 20+ were not right?
Old 02-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #7

Thanks for the answers . Yes, I read page 7 but I wanted to see what others actually do. Springs are not that expensive but 800 rounds seemed to be really low. And also any other kind of maintenance that people perform, but that it is not specified in the manual. From your answer I get that there is nothing special that I have to be aware of.

Thanks for the video. I checked the extractor and it seems to be fine.

Regarding the ammo, maybe I can just ask if commanders and compacts typically prefer a specific weight/power? So far I have shot 230 gr but has anybody experienced problems with 165 or 200 gr defense ammo?
buck119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
I have 1 Standard Kimber magazine that never worked right from brand new. How many of the 20+ were not right?
I think there were 2 of them that I had to make a slight adjustment to the lips on but they were good to go after that.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #9
Super Moderator

buck119, when it's time to replace your recoil spring I'd suggest you look at the Wilson Combat Flat Wire Spring Kit #651. I am running this spring in two of my Pro size Kimbers and love it. The life of the spring is approximately 10X longer then the Kimber stock spring and with the kit installed you'll no longer need that L shaped paperclip to break your gun down.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:00 AM   #10

Originally Posted by buck119 View Post
Thanks for the answers . Yes, I read page 7 but I wanted to see what others actually do. Springs are not that expensive but 800 rounds seemed to be really low. And also any other kind of maintenance that people perform, but that it is not specified in the manual. From your answer I get that there is nothing special that I have to be aware of.

Thanks for the video. I checked the extractor and it seems to be fine.

Regarding the ammo, maybe I can just ask if commanders and compacts typically prefer a specific weight/power? So far I have shot 230 gr but has anybody experienced problems with 165 or 200 gr defense ammo?
I too have a Compact Stainless II and there is no special maintenance that I do on the gun. I have changed the recoil spring and guide rod to a Wilson Combat flat wire spring kit, like Chuck mentioned and it works great.

As for self defense ammo, I use Hornady Critical Defense 185GR. The gun loves it and I tested it in the gun thoroughly before I started carrying it.

Enjoy the gun and don't get too hung up on extra special maintenance, as I said, I do nothing special and it runs like a champ.

Also, I have the one factory magazine which runs just fine and 4 Wilson Combat magazines which also run fine.
buck119 likes this.

"It is the unconquerable nature of man and not the nature of the weapon he uses that ensures victory"
General George S. Patton Jr.

Last edited by ByrdMan; 02-04-2015 at 09:03 AM.
ByrdMan is offline   Reply With Quote