New Ultra Carry ll magazine problem - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #1

New Ultra Carry ll magazine problem

I asked this question in another forum, so I have some answers, but thought I'd ask here. I have a new Kimber Ultra Carry 2 and with various ammo and magazines I get frequent failures of the slide going all the way into battery. When this happens I drop the magazine and tap the slide with a rubber mallet( something I hate doing but about the only way to safely be able to fire off the live round). I tried my reloads and some commercial ammo of various weights.
The last time I shot it today I was able to fire all 6 rounds I loaded it with, without a problem. I didn't shoot anymore. Could this really be just a break in period? I had problems with the factory mag,Ruger 9mm mag and a Mec Gar magazine. It didn't seem to matter what combination of ammo and mag. But Like I said the last 6 went off with no problems
pzlehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-30-2017, 04:05 PM   #2

Originally Posted by pzlehr View Post
I asked this question in another forum, so I have some answers, but thought I'd ask here. I have a new Kimber Ultra Carry 2 and with various ammo and magazines I get frequent failures of the slide going all the way into battery. When this happens I drop the magazine and tap the slide with a rubber mallet( something I hate doing but about the only way to safely be able to fire off the live round). I tried my reloads and some commercial ammo of various weights.
The last time I shot it today I was able to fire all 6 rounds I loaded it with, without a problem. I didn't shoot anymore. Could this really be just a break in period? I had problems with the factory mag,Ruger 9mm mag and a Mec Gar magazine. It didn't seem to matter what combination of ammo and mag. But Like I said the last 6 went off with no problems
Sounds like a tight slide to frame fit. Use some white plain toothpaste on the slide and frame rails (gun taken apart of course) using just the frame and slide assemble and run back and forth for about 100 to 150 times. The silica in the toothpaste will act as a lapping compound. See if that helps.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:52 PM   #3

I agree with the above post. Kimber is a very tight firearm. That's why they need brake in, and are accurate after break in. Kimbers take time and patience, other wise choose a different brand.
Chuck43 likes this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2017, 09:58 PM   #4

Honestly, I have owned many Kimber's and always used Kimber mags and for the first 500 rounds run them nearly dripping wet with high quality lube and I've never had a problem.

I would use 124's or 147's for break-in also, not 115's
Chuck43 likes this.
I'm a 1911 addict -- GI CCO 9mm, WC Sentinel Compact 9mm, WC ULCC 9mm, WC Professional 38 super, WC Stealth 38 super, WC Bobtail Professional 9mm, DW CCO 38 super, DW CBOB 38 super, Kimber Ultra Aegis 9mm and a little Sig P938
azguy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:29 AM   #5

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
I agree with the above post. Kimber is a very tight firearm. That's why they need brake in, and are accurate after break in. Kimbers take time and patience, other wise choose a different brand.
I find it hard to believe that everyone who buys a Kimber has to take a rubber mallet with them when they shoot it in order to break it in. Kimber says 4- 500 rounds but I have had trouble with the first round in a magazine...so I tap the slide back into battery and carry on. If that's the case fine, just never heard of any other pistol needing to have a rubber mallet taken to it
Old 10-31-2017, 10:38 AM   #6

I find it hard to believe that everyone who buys a Kimber has to take a rubber mallet with them when they shoot it in order to break it in. Kimber says 4- 500 rounds but I have had trouble with the first round in a magazine...so I tap the slide back into battery and carry on. If that's the case fine, just never heard of any other pistol needing to have a rubber mallet taken to it
You have some other type issue going on to need a rubber mallet. I own 13 Kimber's, some bought new and some used, NEVER needed a mallet, or anything else to get a round into battery. I use all the factory magazines that came with each pistol, KimPro Tac mags, Joes1911mags, plus some 40 year old Colt and no name magazines without any issues or malfunctions.

Your the first I've heard of needing a rubber mallet.
Nellybelle, Chuck43, JC45 and 3 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:52 AM   #7

Have you checked the extractor tension ?
2sharp2 and Mini Me like this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:27 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Tejun View Post
Have you checked the extractor tension ?
I don't know how you check that...how do you?
Just went shooting and the same thing, slide not going into battery. Nor would it after rapping on it, had to rap on it from the front to get the slide back...this to me is just dangerous when you have a live round in the chamber.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:45 AM   #9

I don't know how you check that...how do you?
Just went shooting and the same thing, slide not going into battery. Nor would it after rapping on it, had to rap on it from the front to get the slide back...this to me is just dangerous when you have a live round in the chamber.
There is a Youtube video that goes in to great detail. That (along with things learned on this forum) is what helped me. Its really easy, and now I do this check for each new gun I get.

Let me see if I can find the link to the video and post.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Old 10-31-2017, 11:48 AM   #10

Here is one video;

If the extractor tension is too tight, it will be hard to push the empty casing up to the breach face
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP

Tags
9mm, magazines

Search tags for this page
kimber magazines
kimber pro carry 2 problems

kimber ultra carry ii problems

wilson clips for kimber ultra carry ii

Click on a term to search for related topics.