Deadly Jam - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2017, 04:35 AM  

Deadly Jam

Hi Gang,
My first pistol was and is an Ultra Carry 45. It isn't my EDC due to size but with the cold weather I am considering adding it to the rotation. Anyhow, I've put a fair amount of ammo through this (had it 17 years, BUT... it collected dust for most of that time) and almost exclusively RN ammo. Can't recall any problems at all. Anyhow, I've been wary of using JHP for fear of a feed problem. I ran a walmart white box (winchester as I recall) of 100 through with no problems at all. This was very encouraging. I went searching for the 'magic bullet' so to speak and saw the really impressive specs for Winchester Ranger T on LuckyGunner and located 150 rnds. I was eager to try it out but out of the first box of 50 I had two jams that in a life or death situation would have been the later. OK, can't seem to attach photos so I'll describe it. They look almost like they want to go in the barrel sideways. No tap and slap will fix this. You have to drop the mag and manually eject the cartridge. Now next time out I ran another box through and they were fine. However, I have a short barrel 45 so expansion is always suspect in my mind, but a jam like this? Any thoughts as to something that might not be the ammo/pistol combo before I use the last box as target ammo? Thanks in advance.
cousinmark likes this.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:46 AM  

Most likely it's the ammo/gun combo so I'd suggest trying some other carry options to see what happens. Off the cuff though as far as other culprits go. Is the pistol truly broken in, a good 500 rounds? Has the problem occurred with several magazines or just one? Is the recoil spring within the rated lifespan, and was the pistol cleaned and lubed in recent history?
...just some thoughts, I hope you get her figured out, keep us posted :-)
Old 11-12-2017, 06:38 AM  
Super Moderator

What's a fair amount of ammo? My EDC is an Ultra Tactical .45 and my SD ammo is Winchester .230 gr Ranger T. I didn't start shooting SD ammo until I had about 400 rounds through it. It became my primary EDC when I hit a problem free 800 rounds. If you're serious about carrying a gun to protect yourself and your loved ones you have to put in the range time and shoot the snot out of it
Nellybelle, DaveinNC and 427malibu like this.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:40 AM  
Super Moderator

Almost forgot, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?
Old 11-12-2017, 06:10 PM  

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Most likely it's the ammo/gun combo so I'd suggest trying some other carry options to see what happens. Off the cuff though as far as other culprits go. Is the pistol truly broken in, a good 500 rounds? Has the problem occurred with several magazines or just one? Is the recoil spring within the rated lifespan, and was the pistol cleaned and lubed in recent history?
...just some thoughts, I hope you get her figured out, keep us posted :-)
OK, I bought it 17 years ago but probably put it away after 20 rounds. Yup. After deciding to EDC I brought it out and since then have put @1000 rounds through it with a few cleanings in between. This happened during the first box of 50. I went back this week and put another 50 through with no problems.
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.
Browning Buckmark Hunter 22lr
Old 11-12-2017, 06:34 PM  

Try Hornady Critical Defense.
speedydg13 and Cucamonga kid like this.
Savage 10FCP-SR 6.5 Creedmoor
CZ-453 .22LR
Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II
Kimber Custom Target II
S&W Performance Center M&P 9 Shield
S&W .22 LR Model 34-1
Sig Sauer 1911-22
Mossberg SA-20
GAMO Whisper G2
Old 11-12-2017, 06:52 PM  
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Average American View Post
OK, I bought it 17 years ago but probably put it away after 20 rounds. Yup. After deciding to EDC I brought it out and since then have put @1000 rounds through it with a few cleanings in between. This happened during the first box of 50. I went back this week and put another 50 through with no problems.
Keep it clean, keep it lubed and keep shooting it, it will do nothing but get better.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:21 AM  

Originally Posted by kretch50 View Post
Try Hornady Critical Defense.
My XDs 9mm loves them
Browning Buckmark Hunter 22lr
Old 06-30-2019, 07:20 PM  

I'm having the same sort of problem with feeding . Mine nose dives into the feed ramp and stops "DEAD". I fixed it by swapping to Wilson mags a few years back and changed the recoil spring to the heavier Wolff Spring. But haven't fired it much. It's now doing the same thing with the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel HPs. I want to keep using. It seems to shoot XTPs ok. I have cleaned it again and plan on shooting a few boxes of White Box to see what happens. I'll keep you posted.
Jflytle likes this.

Last edited by reitaranch; 06-30-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:02 PM  

Thanks guys for your help. I have polished the feed ramp and installed the higher rated recoil springs from Wolff. This all started about 3 years ago which seemed to clear up with polishing the feed ramp and installing the heavier recoil spring set. And changing to Wilson Magazines. Now it has started again. Extractor seems good and I opened up the width of the rim guide to make sure that the cartridges slide up the face of the slide perfectly. I fell and cracked a couple of ribs. Have to get to this in a few days.

Last edited by reitaranch; 07-07-2019 at 07:07 PM.