Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Dons1911
  • 1 Post By adamsredlines
  • 2 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #1

Todays idea.....somebody should make a:

Somebody should make a magazine slam pad that follows the rear contour of a round butt pistol. I like a thin slam pad on magazines, but the edge kinda negates the soft curve of the super carry treatment. One that follows that curve would be awesome I think.
Maybe I will model one up.
adamsredlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #2

Great idea, I generally carry a flush bottom mag in the pistol, and a thin steel slam pad on my second mag. I carry the flush mag for the reason you call out, but never thought of modifying one to blend better. And I own a machine shop! Getting old sucks!!!
Lineman and adamsredlines like this.
Dons1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:32 PM   #3

That's probably what I will end up doing too....but if you decide to whip one up, sign me up!
Dons1911 likes this.
adamsredlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2015, 04:37 AM   #4

Todays idea....somebody should make a: Make a gun that makes me a better shot! I admit I am a bad shot,both pistols and rifles, now shotguns was a different story! I was pretty good at trap,skeet,sporting clays and five stand. I was a pretty good duck hunter too for over 40 years.

Last edited by canonshooter; 02-13-2015 at 04:37 AM. Reason: ,,,
canonshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:03 AM   #5

Somebody should do a plain, simple tutorial (in seven languages) on how to field dress a whitetail without breaking the pelvis. I'm sick of fixing the knives...
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:00 AM   #6
Super Moderator

There are a ton of them already out there, I've been cleaning deer all my life without breaking the pelvis in the field. If they insist on doing it it may be easier to sell them an inexpensive cable saw.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:15 AM   #7

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Somebody should do a plain, simple tutorial (in seven languages) on how to field dress a whitetail without breaking the pelvis. I'm sick of fixing the knives...
cut out the donut and pull from the inside. Why cut/break the pelvis? Point of separation is the joints.
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Cut out the donut and pull from the inside. Why cut/break the pelvis? Point of separation is the joints.
You and Chuck are correct, I've never broken a pelvis, either. But you'd be amazed at how many Buck 110s I've seen with a slightly broken tip and a ding about mid-blade.

In Wisconsin they sell a tool that looks like plastic Christmas tree with T-handle. I've never used one, but hunters tell me it works.

I was thinking about buying a bucket of Craftsman chisels, polishing the edge, and selling them at wildly inflated prices. I've found that lots of guys hunt, field dress, and sharpen exactly as their grandfathers taught them--and nothing will talk them out of it.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:25 PM   #9

Wink My 2 Cents Worth!!

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
You and Chuck are correct, I've never broken a pelvis, either. But you'd be amazed at how many Buck 110s I've seen with a slightly broken tip and a ding about mid-blade.

In Wisconsin they sell a tool that looks like plastic Christmas tree with T-handle. I've never used one, but hunters tell me it works.

I was thinking about buying a bucket of Craftsman chisels, polishing the edge, and selling them at wildly inflated prices. I've found that lots of guys hunt, field dress, and sharpen exactly as their grandfathers taught them--and nothing will talk them out of it.
I have never split, cut or broken a whitetail pelvis. I use that cute tool you mentioned: It is sold through Bass Pro Shop and other similar places and is called a BUTT OUT. You simply shove it in, turn 1/2 turn and then pull out the small intestine. Once out, you cut it off, tie the end and allow it to slip back inside the deer. The end left outside, you ring around the anus with a knife and remove. I use an extremely sharp fixed blade Buck knife that years ago my son christened as "The A$$hole Knife"! Cut the windpipe and everything should be able to be pulled out through a split chest/stomach cut.

With a pair of surgical gloves, it is short, quick and to the point. No pain!! At least not to me. It's really hard on Bambi, though!!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:35 AM   #10

This field dressing exchange got me thinking. Is there anything else we're missing?

My thought for the day is something that went passe' in the 1960s. Magazines like Argosy used to do little vignettes like, "25 Things Men Should Know How To Do."

I remember one of those things was "fix a toaster." Heck, we're lucky now if younger guys know how to plug them into an outlet.

I'm a big fan of ideals like the rite of passage. In fact, as cruel as it might seem to us, the young boys of Sparta probably got a better overall education than our children.

My addition for today? Well, for starters, bring back some of the old school ideas, in writing if need be. Maybe they'll be better deer hunters, and their toasters will work...
Chuck43 and Dons1911 like this.