Kimber Talk Forums banner

Safety

6K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Richard 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought a SS Pro TLE II, my first experience with a 1911, and I have a question about the operation...

The manual says half cock is not actually half cock and should never be used as such, that this hammer position is a safety catch to prevent accidental discharge.

If I rack the slide so the gun is cocked, then engage the thumb safety, then hold the gun in the fire position so that the grip safety is pushed in, and squeeze the trigger, the gun will not fire because the thumb safety is up. However, if I now unlatch the thumb safety, the hammer will fall to the half cocked or safety catch, and the hammer will have to be re-cocked in order to fire. Of course if I don't try to fire the gun first, the thumb safety can be pushed up and down without causing the hammer to drop.

Is this correct operation ? Should the hammer fall into half cock after squeezing the trigger in this manner ?

You do have to give it a bit of a tug, just a slight pull won't cause this to happen, so I am guessing it's a tolerance thing maybe ? ( I love the trigger pull on this gun).

#2 ·
With a full grip, depressing the grip safety, and the thumb safety in the down/fire position, when you pull the trigger the hammer should fall completely. If it is stopping in the half cock position, the gun has a problem. I recommend you call Kimber Customer Service as soon as you can. Do not load or try to fire this weapon.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply, but you misunderstand.... With a full grip, depressing the grip safety, and the thumb safety in the fire position, when I pull the trigger the hammer does fall completely.

What I said was, if the thumb safety is in the safe position and I attempt to fire the gun, it does not fire (which is correct)... but if I now push the thumb safety into the fire position, the hammer will drop to half cock.

My trigger must be on the hairy edge of releasing the hammer when pulled.

#5 ·
Let me see if I'm following you correctly

1. thumb safety is on
2. you grip the gun putting pressure on the grip safety
3. you attempt to pull the trigger ... the gun doesn't fire.
4. with continued pressure on both the trigger and grip safety you release the thumb safety and the hammer falls to the half cocked position.

Did I get it right? (I'm old, slow and easily confused) If I did you need to call
Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
Hours: M-F, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Eastern

Reactions: Nellybelle
#6 ·
I tried various possibilities in ways to replicate that with my SCUHD and could not. If either stayed safe or hammer feel to the firing position. Do not load that weapon.

Sent via Galactic Communicator using TapaTalk

#7 ·
I tried various possibilities in ways to replicate that with my SCUHD and could not. If either stayed safe or hammer feel to the firing position. Do not load that weapon.

Sent via Galactic Communicator using TapaTalk
I also tested it with two Kimbers, one with and one without the firing pin safety block, hey you never know, besides I've got a major case of boredom.

#9 ·
it's CLEARLY not what you're supposed to be doing with a pistol, so why do it?
I can think of one pretty good reason. The "fog" experienced in confrontation. Let me explain.

None of us are really Hollywood pistoleros. We carry defensive tools like we carry fire insurance--in the hopes we never have to use it. And like handling motor vehicles, you have to know what to do when things go wrong.

For example, we all should be doing "tap-rap-bang" drills in case firearms fail to go 'bang' during an attack.

Frankly I didn't know what a 1911 will/would do if you erroneously pulled the trigger and then disengaged the safety--but I've done it several times. I've been out plinking, took a six o'clock on a beer can, did a gigundo flinch, and realized I had flipped the safety lever up.

In the fear and excitement of being attacked, would I draw the pistol and just clumsily yank the trigger with the safety on? Well, we all might. And we should know how to instantly diagnose and remedy a pistol during duress.

#11 ·
Good job Mike, that is a pretty long safety check but a real good one!

Reactions: Insta-Gator
#12 ·
It's very possible to get in this situation. You're at the range, you take aim, squeeze the trigger, and oops, didn't release the thumb safety... or perhaps it did get pulled or hit by accident in the course of handling, though we would all like to believe that could never happen.

I have had several semi's but this is my first 1911, so I was just curious if this was standard for these ? Like I said earlier, this TLE has the shortest trigger pull I have ever had in a handgun, and this may be why.

Here is a quick video I did to show what I'm talking about... btw, I plan on giving Kimber a call just to verify.

#16 ·
The reason I asked about the "shelf" was that I had two later model Colts--one was a Mark IV, Series 80, and the other was an Officers ACP

With the hammer cocked, you could carefully let the hammer rest on this half-cock shelf. However, on both pistols, if you squeezed the trigger the hammer would fall fully to the firing pin stop. Not with enough force to override the inertial firing pin, but it would fall all of the way down.

Is that a similar condition with this pistol?

#18 ·
DO NOT LOAD THAT PISTOL! I just check per your video, a Detonics Combat Master .45 and 4 Kimber's and 2 Colt Government Series 70, NONE of them did what yours did in the video.

Is your Kimber new or used? Did you "work" on it? It is not working correctly and is very dangerous!

#21 ·
WOW Unbelievable. I feel certain that one will need a trip back to the mothership. I will watch what happens.

#23 ·
Well, it is sad that you have to endure this, but I am happy you will be safe. All mechanical things can break or go wrong. You just drew the short straw on this one. Sorry.

Kimber will make it right for you.

#26 ·
End of the story... after 5 weeks, my SS Pro TLE returned from Kimber. The included note says they replaced the thumb safety and set pistol back to factory specs (ummmm why was my new TLE not in factory spec ?!) The gun dealer swears the TLE was nib but the serial number shows it was manufactured 3 yrs ago.... so idk what to believe. In any event, its now repaired, I still think it was a good choice, and I'm anxious to get it to the range.

If anyone is interested in what Kimber shoots, they test fired after the repair with 3 mags of 230 Pierce FMJ and 1 mag of 185 +P Federal Hydroshok JHP... (and then sent it back to me to clean lol ). I'm glad it's home.

#28 ·
My Kimber has been back to their shop twice. Both times, they shot three or four magazines of at least two different types of ammunition before sending it beck to me with instructions to clean it. I guess that's a lot better than if they never test fired it, or only shot one or two rounds ... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.