New Pro Carry II, first range session, explain this? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #1

New Pro Carry II, first range session, explain this?

Howdy gang,

New here and with a new Kimber, a Pro Carry II in .45. Had my first range session with it Sunday, burned through 175 rounds and the gun shot great and accurate, ZERO FTF, FTE or any other typical nonsense. Very pleased.

I did have 2 puzzling occurrences which I didn't understand for a total of 3 bobbles in 175 rounds (pretty good for a brand new gun in break in I thought) but see if you can help me here. Twice I pulled the trigger and the hammer dropped and the weapon did not fire. First time I thought I had failed to somehow load a cartridge but when I racked it a round came out. The weapon was fully in battery. No indentation whatsoever on the primer. Put the round back in a continued to shoot no problem. Later it happened again, that time I was positive I had a round in the chamber and same thing, no mark on the primer whatsoever the round fired just fine a second later.

All my spent brass showed good solid primer strikes. I thought maybe somehow I was off the grip safety or something in the middle of the hammer fall, I don't know what happened it doesn't make sense to me, however it sure "seemed" like the hammer had been blocked somehow from normal operation. The hammer falls the two times it happened sounded a little funny to me, but I had been shooting it a lot so compared to actual fire they probably would.

Any idea what I did or what happened? I am pretty perplexed.

I intend to just keep shooting the snot out of it for now it's brand new it needs to see some more work.

The "other" bobble, on the last round of one magazine the slide locked back I thought I was empty I looked down and the last round was just sitting there on top of the magazine, loose. Not chambered or ejected, just loose right on top of the magazine. Weird. That was the only feeding issue I had whole session, not sure what happened there either. Maybe the second to last round stripped the last round out when it fed, causing the pistol to lock back after firing? That only happened one time, and it was a Mec-Gar 7 round magazine not the Kimber mag.

Any ideas or input appreciated.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."

Last edited by KCJeep; 12-06-2017 at 08:21 PM.
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #2

Makes me think you need to remove the fireing pin and inspect. And do not put any oil into the channel when you clean and lube. Also a lot of feed problems can be due to a loose grip. My grip loosens a bit after extended firing and I have to remind myself to tighten up.
Chuck43, Hawker800 and Supertool like this.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:35 PM   #3

Hubby had that happen when we were shooting our new Pro TLE yesterday. His problem was that the bullet wasn't properly seated in the magazine. He didn't have it all the way to the back of the mag so it couldn't feed properly. I'm not suggesting that's what happened to you but it is one reason you would have the gun not fire when you thought you had racked it.
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 10:20 PM   #4

I wouldn't worry about it much. Still in the break in period. Clean it and pay attention to your grip (not saying that's the issue) and if it does it again, you may want figure it out.
Most may not agree with this, but I've a similar issue that was related to the mag.
Took the mag apart and ran a cloth through and everything seemed ok, but after that it never happened again. May have been a barb, or whatnot, and worked itself free at some point. Don't know.
My thoughts only. Much more knowledge here than I.
Gundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #5

Appreciate the input. I know it sounds mechanical, but intuitively it seemed to me like something I was doing. Grip maybe? Don't know I will keep shooting it and looking it over. It will either quit or I will figure it out eventually.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will update for posterity if I figure it out for sure.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #6

Give this thread a quick read. Sounds like the Swartz safety timing could just barely be off.

https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/gun...ave-shown.html
46QJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #7

I wouldn't worry about it,after all this is the break in period.I had the same occurrence happen to me a few years back while breaking in my Super Carry Custom HD.A couple of rounds didn't fire the first time.I uloaded and inspected the gun,reloaded and they fired.Don't know why.That was 2012 and the gun has run perfectly since then.
MPO Southy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #8

MPO's right. May never happen again, being so new. Clean it and fire it and report back.
Gundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #9

Another range session today, another 125 rounds and no repeats of the strange hammer falls.

Man this gun shoots good, I'm at 300 rounds now and it just flat runs. My only nitpick is that it has started to bean me in the head with brass every once in a while. But I am not even going to address that till it gets more rounds through it.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #10

I also discovered I can do a "3/4" break down" by just removing the slide stop, and do a quick wipe down and lube without taking it all apart. Not as fast as a Glock, but pretty close and perfect for a minor clean up after a short range session.