Ambi Safety - potential problem - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #1
tor

Ambi Safety - potential problem

The gun is a Kimber Raptor Pro II. Here is the issue: When operating the Ambi safety, it appears to me that the right side thumb safety (which I never use by the way) does not appear to move the left side completely off safety. When pushing the thumb safety on the right side down to off, the left side follows, but stops with the safety still engaging the slide notch on the left side. Anyone seen this happen?

Edit: so I manipulated the Ambi and racked the slide a few times, and before I knew it, I could pull the left side of the thumb safety out. Hmm. The only thing I've done to this gun is changing the mainspring housing. Strange indeed. I guess I'll take the MSH off tomorrow to see what's going on.

Last edited by tor; 02-23-2015 at 08:10 PM.
tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #2

I have ambi on my SCCHD and being a lefty I use the right side all the time.Both sides disengage simultaneously when I disengage the safety.Something strange going on with yours I think.
MPO Southy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:17 PM   #3

I had that happen one time on my ultra covert after I added my ambi safety , they just didn't get hit hooked in correctly , I took it back to the gun shop he had it back on correctly in about two mins, been perfect since. Should be an easy fix

Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #4

What Zoomy said! I have been thru the exact same thing with my Pro Raptor. I have a ton of miles on mine, and will probably replace the thumb safety parts soon, only since I'm rebuilding it and refinishing it.
Dons1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #5

Loosen the MSH, wrap a rubber band around the grip safety to keep everything in place. Remove the grips. You shou;d be able to move the right side safety up and take it off the retaining pin. Then rotate the left side safety up and remove it. Remember to keep man eye in the plunger, because it is spring loaded. once they are removed, you can see how they mate up. just reinstall in reverse order. Sounds harder than it really is.
Zoomybaby likes this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:43 AM   #6
tor

Thanks for all the replies. Have to start taking it apart when I get home from work. Gmountain, the left side safety actually came out completely. The right side stayed in. I am inclined to thing the end groove on the right safety that mates the two together might be broken. Not sure, but I am leaning that way since it started with me doing a safety check, and the left thumb safety really didn't follow the right side. The left went down to OFF, but sat half way in the slide groove on left side, even if the right safety was all the way off safety. At any rate, I'll update when i have taken it apart. Had to strap on my 15 year old G23 in a Versa Max II this morning and leave the Raptor in the safe. The G23 has +15000 rounds through it with no failures. The Raptor just graduated to become a part of the rotation with the first 1000 rounds through it without FTFs /FTEs. Oh well. I'll get it fixed.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #7

It's a pretty easy fix and a common problem with ambi's on a carry gun. Finding the safety in stock at a reasonable price is the hardest part.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #8

Double check the clearance of the right side safety selector and the right side grip. Mine is extremely close. So close that I think they actually touch. If that's the case perhaps it prevents the two halves from mating properly.

Just a thought.
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:03 AM   #9

On the newer Kings style safety, the left side has to come out first and the hammer must be at cock to do so. Removal of the mainspring housing is not needed nor must the grips be removed. I suspect the top portion of the dovetail of the left side has broken off or the dovetail has opened considerably. If it has sheared off a full gear down may be needed to find the piece and to inspect to I sure no damage occurred.

The plunger thbe assembly should not launch but may if the plunger spring does not have the link in it as it should to prevent a launch.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
tor

Originally Posted by Mike240 View Post
On the newer Kings style safety, the left side has to come out first and the hammer must be at cock to do so. Removal of the mainspring housing is not needed nor must the grips be removed. I suspect the top portion of the dovetail of the left side has broken off or the dovetail has opened considerably. If it has sheared off a full gear down may be needed to find the piece and to inspect to I sure no damage occurred.

The plunger thbe assembly should not launch but may if the plunger spring does not have the link in it as it should to prevent a launch.
Exactly. All good. Home for lunch. Put the Left safety back in place without taking off any parts at all. While I was safety checking last night, it must have gotten in between safety off and safety on position, resulting in the left safety to separate partly from the frame. I pulled lightly on it at that time, and it came out.

Mike, to answer your question: There does not appear to be any damage to the right side ("dovetail") of the safety when I looked at it. The connection between left and right side is nice and tight, without any slack at all.

Checked both sides several times, and it now works good. Thanks for suggestions / replies. I willingly admit this is my first 1911 style pistol, and I really love everything about the gun, the way it shoots, the way it handles and feels.
Have been carrying Austrian plastic for +20 years, and the change in handling / safeties etc took a while to get used to.
Insta-Gator likes this.

Last edited by tor; 02-24-2015 at 08:26 AM.

Search tags for this page

can the raptor ambi-safety be removed

Click on a term to search for related topics.