Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 46QJI
  • 2 Post By russell420
  • 1 Post By zrsteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2018, 04:23 PM   #1

Mainspring housing issue

I recently purchased a stainless Raptor II and ordered an Ed Brown chainlink mainspring housing for it. However, the frame of the pistol overhangs the bottom of the housing, resulting in two very sharp points (the frame). I understand this is an issue with the full size Kimber frames and is simply how they are shaped. Ed Brown mainspring housings fit my Colt 1911s without any blending required. I would prefer not to have the frame modified and am looking for a stainless steel mainspring housing (not a magwell) that does not have the pronounced bevel at the bottom of the Ed Brown, basically a steel version of the plastic factory housing. If it was available in chain link, that would be great, but I could live with checkering too. Anyone overcome this issue and have a recommendation? I've attached an image so you can see what the problem is. Also, if I decided to go with a magwell, would the frame shape of the pistol present the same problem I have now? Thanks.

Russell420
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5064.JPG (83.3 KB, 30 views)
russell420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #2

Russell, welcome to the site from Tennessee.

Gold Combat LE
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
CDP Ultra
Raptor Ultra Stainless
RCP Ultra
SIS Custom
SIS Pro
SIS Ultra
TLE Pro (TFS)
Stainless Raptor
Custom Two Tone .45/460 Rowland
Super Carry Ultra Plus
84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Russell.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #4

I have found the Fusion MSH to be the best drop in fit, with the closest contours for my Kimbers. It looks like both the stainless chainlink and stainless checkered are temporarily out of stock right now though, unfortunately.

https://www.fusionfirearms.com/msh-s...s-matte-finish

https://www.fusionfirearms.com/msh-s...ered-stainless

They do have the chainlink magwell in stock in either matte or polished stainless.

https://www.fusionfirearms.com/mag-w...tainless-matte

https://www.fusionfirearms.com/mag-w...nless-polished
JC45 likes this.

Last edited by 46QJI; 01-16-2018 at 07:14 PM.
46QJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:14 PM   #5

Right Website, Wrong MSH!!

Russell, you went to the right website:

Ed Brown

You just ordered the incorrect mainspring housing. Go to the drop down on this page and select the MSH designated as "FLAT, SNAKESKIN, STAINLESS". It is second from the bottom of the drop down list. It sells for $49.95 This one lacks the drastic bevel at the bottom that causes the two frame protrusions below the MSH. The stainless Snakeskin MSH will pretty much match up with the frame of your Stainless Raptor II.

Attached, you will see a blued one installed on my Pro Carry II.

Ed Brown Snakeskin MSH2.JPG

I think this should make you happy. Check it out and let me know how it works out!!

BTW, welcome to the forum!! Shoot straight and be safe!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 01-16-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #6

I'm going to send the pistol back to Kimber for warranty repair. As you can see from the attached photo, Kimber only beveled one side of the butt at the bottom rear where it meets the mainspring housing (the area that is usually blended). So even if I found a housing that was a better fit than the Ed Brown, I'd still have one side of the pistol butt with a sharp point sticking out, and it would bother me knowing it's there now that I've noticed it. Since the area will need to be bead blasted after it is filed, I'd rather Kimber take care of it on their dime under warranty than me having to pay my local gunsmith to do it. Once it comes back from Kimber, I'll look into that Ed Brown Snakeskin housing. Thanks again for your help.

Russell420
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5070.jpg (276.6 KB, 14 views)
RustyIron and Karens like this.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:25 AM   #7

I recently purchased an Ed Brown MSH with a screw in magwell and it just wouldn’t fit no matter how much filing I did. I was disappointed because it’s listed as a drop in. The pin hole was so far off no matter how much fitting was done it wouldn’t line up. Several people have them here and they fit perfect. That was a waste of $65.

I have 2 made by Fusion and 1 required a small amount of filing but not much, the 2nd one dropped right in. I would suggest ordering the polished one from fusion for your Raptor because I didn’t, not because of price I just didn’t see it until John (Behunted) told me about the polished version.

I replace the Ed Brown with a Wilson Combat one piece and it fit in perfect except for those 2 sharp edges. WC does state fitting maybe require but I was thinking fitting to get the pin in not these sharp edges. I got a small file out and rounded the sharp edges and now it’s very comfortable. I was very hesitant to do this but it worked. You can see the shine on the edges but it’s just fine for me. I can file some more for a perfect fit and I will if I ever decide to cerakote the frame but I decided to quit while I was ahead.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Lineman View Post
Russell, you went to the right website:

Ed Brown

You just ordered the incorrect mainspring housing. Go to the drop down on this page and select the MSH designated as "FLAT, SNAKESKIN, STAINLESS". It is second from the bottom of the drop down list. It sells for $49.95 This one lacks the drastic bevel at the bottom that causes the two frame protrusions below the MSH. The stainless Snakeskin MSH will pretty much match up with the frame of your Stainless Raptor II.

Attached, you will see a blued one installed on my Pro Carry II.

Attachment 87306

I think this should make you happy. Check it out and let me know how it works out!!

BTW, welcome to the forum!! Shoot straight and be safe!!
Lineman, I contacted Ed Brown customer service regarding the snakeskin and chainlink mainspring housings. Their representative advised that the bevel at the bottom rear of the housing was exactly the same on both of them, so I doubt a switch to snakeskin would make any difference. Looks like Wilson Combat or Fusion checkered might be the closest thing to the factory plastic one in terms of fit.

Russell420
Old 01-31-2018, 02:12 PM   #9

Originally Posted by russell420 View Post
I recently purchased a stainless Raptor II and ordered an Ed Brown chainlink mainspring housing for it. However, the frame of the pistol overhangs the bottom of the housing, resulting in two very sharp points (the frame). I understand this is an issue with the full size Kimber frames and is simply how they are shaped. Ed Brown mainspring housings fit my Colt 1911s without any blending required. I would prefer not to have the frame modified and am looking for a stainless steel mainspring housing (not a magwell) that does not have the pronounced bevel at the bottom of the Ed Brown, basically a steel version of the plastic factory housing. If it was available in chain link, that would be great, but I could live with checkering too. Anyone overcome this issue and have a recommendation? I've attached an image so you can see what the problem is. Also, if I decided to go with a magwell, would the frame shape of the pistol present the same problem I have now? Thanks.

Russell420
I also have the stainless Raptor II and purchased the Ed Brown MSH. I do not have the issue you are having. Looks like a Kimber problem. Make sure you take the Ed Brown MSH out before shipping as Kimber might keep it when they put the pistol back to factory specs.
Tejun likes this.
zrsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #10

Originally Posted by zrsteve View Post
I also have the stainless Raptor II and purchased the Ed Brown MSH. I do not have the issue you are having. Looks like a Kimber problem. Make sure you take the Ed Brown MSH out before shipping as Kimber might keep it when they put the pistol back to factory specs.
One of the problems with my Raptor was the fact that one of the sharp corners had not been beveled at all from the factory. Kimber agreed it was a problem, and they fixed the issue and returned the pistol with a quick turnaround. Excellent customer service IMO. I had to go with a Fusion mainspring housing. From what I've read, the bevel on all of the Ed Brown mainspring housings was changed in the not too distant past, resulting in the housings not fitting well with Kimbers.

Search tags for this page

kimber micro 9 mainspring housing

sharp mainspring housing

Click on a term to search for related topics.