Getting the Itch to try a 9mm in the 1911 Platform - Kimber Forum

Kimber


Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
DGM1962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bethany(Oklahoma City) Oklahoma
Posts: 715
Getting the Itch to try a 9mm in the 1911 Platform

Getting the Itch to try a 9mm in the 1911 Platform.

Definitely not a fan of the Aegis family of 9mm's.

Leaning toward the Tactical Pro II to deliver what I want in styling and specifications.

4 inch barrel.
Front and back strap checkering.
Checkering under trigger guard.
Night Sights.
Not crazy about Aluminum Frame. Steele Frame Fan!


But not crazy about the mag well.

Question:
Can it be removed? Or when removed will it look like something is missing?

Or would it look more like the Pro CDP II? minus the Color?


Actually wished they built the Pro CDP II in 9mm.

Last edited by DGM1962; 02-28-2015 at 06:25 PM.
DGM1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
Super Moderator
 
Chuck43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 34,071
I've not held a Tactical II in a while and can't remember if the magwell is a single or two piece unit. If it's two piece then removing a single screw will let you remove the well. If it's a single piece then you'd have to replace the mainspring housing which is an easy job and allows you to pick a MSH design of your choice.
__________________
WE DON'T SHOOT TO KILL, WE SHOOT TO SAVE A LIFE.
Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Insta-Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,761
DGM1962, I am with you on all of that. I really want to try a all steel 1911 with front and back checkering in a 9mm. I've been looking at the Custom Stainless II in 9mm, but the front strap is not checkered. I'd throw some TruGlo TFX sights on it and then start shopping for some more attractive G10 grips.
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 02-28-2015, 07:02 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
2sharp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 12,004
Well dang, all your requirements blow my suggestion out of the water!
Except it is 9mm and is a Pro size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141106_135817088_HDR (1).jpg (2.96 MB, 17 views)
Zoomybaby likes this.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Insta-Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,761
No more aluminum frames for me. Biggest concern is (1) I prefer the balance the steel frame gives, and (2) I cringe when my grip bushings some lose. Even with the blue gue (loctite) I've had them come lose and already had to install the larger ones. If these strip I don't know what I'd do. I guess I could super glue the grips to the frame and just leave the screws for show.
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Vero Beach, Florida
Posts: 142
The mag well on a Tactical Pro II is one piece held in with a hex screw. I looked closely with a magnifying glass and could not tell if the well was attached-connected to the main spring housing. It appears as though there could be a seam between the two or just a design crease. I would have to unscrew the hex screw to know for sure.
MonoLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
DGM1962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bethany(Oklahoma City) Oklahoma
Posts: 715
Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
No more aluminum frames for me. Biggest concern is (1) I prefer the balance the steel frame gives, and (2) I cringe when my grip bushings some lose. Even with the blue gue (loctite) I've had them come lose and already had to install the larger ones. If these strip I don't know what I'd do. I guess I could super glue the grips to the frame and just leave the screws for show.
Come to think of it the bushings came loose on my Super Carry Pro before I sold it!

But I suppose they can come loose on any model!
DGM1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:32 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
DGM1962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bethany(Oklahoma City) Oklahoma
Posts: 715
Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I've not held a Tactical II in a while and can't remember if the magwell is a single or two piece unit. If it's two piece then removing a single screw will let you remove the well. If it's a single piece then you'd have to replace the mainspring housing which is an easy job and allows you to pick a MSH design of your choice.
It looks like a 2 piece unit.
Maybe I can find some information on U-Tube.
Even though the 9mm is a lighter round; I still wish for a Steele Frame.
Insta-Gator likes this.
DGM1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
DGM1962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bethany(Oklahoma City) Oklahoma
Posts: 715
Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
DGM1962, I am with you on all of that. I really want to try a all steel 1911 with front and back checkering in a 9mm. I've been looking at the Custom Stainless II in 9mm, but the front strap is not checkered. I'd throw some TruGlo TFX sights on it and then start shopping for some more attractive G10 grips.
Guess a fella could buy one and send it off for Checkering?:
Chuck43 likes this.
DGM1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #10
Super Moderator
 
Chuck43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 34,071
If you think bushings only come loose on aluminum frames then you both are sadly mistaken. Put some #60 o-rings under the heads of your grip screws and don't overly tighten them, they won't come out until you unscrew them.
__________________
WE DON'T SHOOT TO KILL, WE SHOOT TO SAVE A LIFE.
Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1911 FTE causes FTF montanaResident Gunsmith 4 11-20-2014 05:49 PM
Considering a 9mm 1911? twistedlim Kimber 1911 Forum 10 10-29-2014 04:09 PM
Curbing the itch Insta-Gator Off-Topic Discussion Forum 24 08-04-2014 07:32 AM
The Itch Begins PorscheVille Kimber 1911 Forum 21 03-18-2014 08:20 PM
New to site and 1911 platform RRC New Member Introduction 2 08-03-2013 06:53 AM