Birthday came early! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #1

Birthday came early!

My present came in this week and I didn't even know it. Came home from work and honey said there is a message for you...it was our gun broker stating my new Kimber Pro CDP was in and I could pick it up anytime. To say I am speechless is an understatement. My birthday isn't until May and now my newest Kimber will be in my hands on Saturday and ready for the range on Sunday.
I need some advice on extra magazines for my Pro. I am a bit confused on the magazines that I need. Is it the full size 9mm or the compact 9mm? Those are the two options on the Kimber site. We also have looked at Wilson at some of the tactical 8 round. I like the little plastic on the end of the Wilson but, before I purchase them I want to know they are going to work and be right with the Pro.
46QJI, Tejun, starnovi and 1 others like this.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:25 PM   #2

Now you have time to order another one before May.
Karens likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:37 PM   #3

Originally Posted by karenschro View Post
My present came in this week and I didn't even know it. Came home from work and honey said there is a message for you...it was our gun broker stating my new Kimber Pro CDP was in and I could pick it up anytime. To say I am speechless is an understatement. My birthday isn't until May and now my newest Kimber will be in my hands on Saturday and ready for the range on Sunday.
I need some advice on extra magazines for my Pro. I am a bit confused on the magazines that I need. Is it the full size 9mm or the compact 9mm? Those are the two options on the Kimber site. We also have looked at Wilson at some of the tactical 8 round. I like the little plastic on the end of the Wilson but, before I purchase them I want to know they are going to work and be right with the Pro.

"FULL Size" 9mm, you need full size for the Pro models.
Joes1911magmania has some very nice stainless 9mm magazines.
I've bought a lot of his 9mm and 45acp never had a problem with any of them.
I added the blue "base pads" to immediately sort out 9mm from 45 mags in my bunch. Pic one of many.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150314_205522389.jpg (2.87 MB, 7 views)
Chuck43 and Karens like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #4

Magazines Size: Ultra size pistols use "Compact" for flush fit, can function with full size magazine but sticks out of magwell.

Pro model 4" barrel and Custom model 5" barrel require "Full Size" only magazines. Compact mags will not seat/lock in the magwell.
Chuck43, Tejun and Karens like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
Super Moderator

What Arland said in his two posts, I'm also a fan of Joes1911magmania.
2sharp2, Mini Me and Karens like this.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:21 AM   #6

Does anyone actually have a Pro CDP 9 because the Kimber website lists both the 45 and the 9mm having 7 round magazines ? I’m pretty sure only the 45 has a 7 round mag but does the 9mm have 8 or 9 round mags ? I know Joe’s has both but I’m guessing this is where the confusion is coming from.
cousinmark likes this.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:57 AM   #7

Thanks, will have a range report on Sunday. Your right JC maybe I am dumb or something because it states the Pro comes with a 7 and then you look at other palaces like Wilson and Joes and its a 9 or 10. So what do I purchase as extras for the range without spending $$ and then it not working. Maybe I should call KImber?
JC45 likes this.

Last edited by Karens; 01-26-2018 at 05:18 AM.
Karens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:53 AM   #8

Happy birthday Karen :-)
...a PRO CDP 9, great gift!!! I have that model and love mine!!!
On the magazines I can vouch for the Wilson 10 round offerings, I've had no problems of any type with the 3 I have, getting that 10th round in can be challenging though, they're stiff at first. I have 2 of the kimber 9 rounders too and they also have been failure free. As has been mentioned the Joe's products are priced nicely and have been well reviewed by the faithful here at KT.
...you may want to look into a Wilson Combat flat wire recoil kit for the new shooter. The change interval for the stock spring is in the 1000 round range? I don't recall exactly but it's low. In theory the flat wire will give you 10x that and also allows for a MUCH easier time when it comes to field stripping the pistol.
...c'mon now with the pictures :-)
Karens likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:06 AM   #9

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
Does anyone actually have a Pro CDP 9 because the Kimber website lists both the 45 and the 9mm having 7 round magazines ? Im pretty sure only the 45 has a 7 round mag but does the 9mm have 8 or 9 round mags ? I know Joes has both but Im guessing this is where the confusion is coming from.
The PRO 9mm pistols are shipped with a 9 round magazine as stock, there are 10 round options available. I can't say for sure on the .45 version. I believe there WAS a "compact" 9mm at one time and it had a 7 round as stock with maybe an 8 round extended option so the magazines are still listed on some sites and that may explain the confusion?
I know with the Micro manuals the online and print version showed the old style recoil assembly and instructions (install the closed end of the spring on the lug end of the guide rod) well after that rig was replaced by the flat wire option. This may also be a similar thing where the site isn't quite up to '18 yet?
JC45 and Karens like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #10

YEAH!!!! Thanks Cousin Mark,
Can you be my go-to on this? Anything else you can think of I would appreciate any and all advice for the PRO. Its sure going to be different than my .380 Raptor. I am so excited I will give pics on Sunday after I go to the range and shoot a few rounds.

I called Kimber too and they said the same thing because it isn't a .45 its takes the 9 round. This is what I am looking at Wilson...
1911 Elite Tactical Magazine, 9mm, Full-Size, 10 Round, Aluminum Base Pad?
cousinmark likes this.

Last edited by Karens; 01-26-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Karens is offline   Reply With Quote