Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Insta-Gator
  • 2 Post By v35b

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #1

Three questions: 1) Where to order this tool?, and

NOTE: I found the answer to my 1st question (the tool seems to only be offered by one company and it costs a whopping $25 from Pistol Accents: http://www.pistolaccents.com/Kimber-...wn_p_1131.html I'm going to make my own tool rather than pay that outrageous price and then another $6 for the shipping of a piece of plastic with a hold in its center. Crazy.). But still wondering about the 2nd and 3rd questions below?

Some help would be appreciated.

First, I'm trying to locate the tool that this guy used in the video to disassemble the guide rod. It's some type of takedown tool, but different from what most tools are which go by that name. Typically, a "takedown" tool is used on the front/barrel of a 1911 .

This tool has a hole in its center to help take apart the tight spring on the guide rod.

See at 3:31 for disassembly and at 9:07 for reassembly.

My 2nd and 3rd question is, how often do you guys take apart the firing pin and extractor assembly to clean after you shoot, and what is the name of the tool used to take this assembly apart? See the same video at 4:30.

Much appreciated if anybody can help.

Last edited by Freedom1; 03-05-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Freedom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #2

Got mine off ebay. Ordered it from this seller http://myworld.ebay.com/hotitemsales2011 It was $8.00 & $1.95 shipping.

The other tool, they use a punch, but you can get one from Brownell's
SureFire
1911 FIRING PIN STOP TOOL
100-010-988WB
1911 Firing Pin Stop Tool
Mfr Part: 11464SR
$10.99

Hope that helps, have a great day.

Last edited by MrWicked; 03-05-2015 at 10:43 PM.
MrWicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:35 AM   #3

To remove the firing pin and extractor, all you need is a small punch or other similar sized item. Insert the punch onto/in the firing pin. Depress the firing pin safety so the firing pin will fully depress. Tilt the punch so that the firing pin block starts to slide out. Remove the punch, slide the block out (taking care not to allow the firing pin to eject itself.) Then everything just slides out. It's easy. I generally clean the firing pin channel and the extractor channel once a month.
bhunted likes this.

Last edited by Insta-Gator; 03-06-2015 at 04:38 AM.
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #4

Before I would buy that tool I would put in a Wilson combat flat spring then you not need the tool and don't have to change the spring as often.
Chuck43 and Insta-Gator like this.
“Denial kills you twice. It kills you once, at your moment of truth when you are not physically prepared: You didn’t bring your gun; you didn’t train. Your only defense was wishful thinking. Hope is not a strategy. Denial kills you a second time because even if you do physically survive, you are psychologically shattered by fear, helplessness, horror and shame at your moment of truth.”

NRA certified pistol Instructor.
v35b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:03 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Freedom1 View Post
NOTE: I found the answer to my 1st question (the tool seems to only be offered by one company and it costs a whopping $25 from Pistol Accents: 1911 Guide Rod Tool Kimber Pro, Compact, Ultra I'm going to make my own tool rather than pay that outrageous price and then another $6 for the shipping of a piece of plastic with a hold in its center. Crazy.). But still wondering about the 2nd and 3rd questions below?

Some help would be appreciated.

First, I'm trying to locate the tool that this guy used in the video to disassemble the guide rod. It's some type of takedown tool, but different from what most tools are which go by that name. Typically, a "takedown" tool is used on the front/barrel of a 1911 .

This tool has a hole in its center to help take apart the tight spring on the guide rod.

Much appreciated if anybody can help.
This is a new link for the video originally posted on You Tube by JRBTOOL
The is the eBay sale title to search
1911 Tools, Kimber Pro, Compact, Ultra Models, Others?
This is the link if allowed
1911 Tools Kimber Pro Compact Ultra Models Others | eBay
This is the original, before any of the imitators, politely.
KSPCIILG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to loadedround
You could make one yourself if you're handy with tools. Any piece of plastic, metal, or wood would work. No way would I pay 24.95 for that piece of junk unless it was 24 carat gold.
loadedround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I can do everything the guy in that video just did on a Pro size Kimber using nothing but my 2 hands, it just takes a little practice. If the gun has a Wilson Flat Wire Spring Kit installed it's twice as easy.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #8
Super Moderator

KSPCIILG, welcome to the forum from northern Illinois. How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #9

Too bad the video doesn't play any more. I was going to offer to make as many as anyone wanted for only twenty bucks apiece, out of plastic, aluminum, ironwood... it doesn't matter. But MrWicked hosed me out of a lucrative gig by providing the link to the place you can get them for eight. Oh well.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:13 PM   #10

As far as the tool to help take the spring & guide rod apart. I saw a video from NDZ Performance that shows the guy just using the slide as a tool to take it apart. Not sure this link will work but 1 of the videos shows the spring breakdown using the slide

http://www.ndzperformance.com/Kimber...-4-pro-kit.htm

Last edited by HiddenPuppy; 08-15-2015 at 03:15 PM.
HiddenPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote