Barrett Silent Thunder IWB - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pbsdaddy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #1

Barrett Silent Thunder IWB

I am thinking about getting a Barrett Silent Thunder IWB and I wondering if anyone here have one. If so. Do you like it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (8.2 KB, 28 views)
FergusonTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #2

Silent Thunder Holster

You may be thinking of the Garrett Industries holster. Kydex and Leather Holster | Concealed and Tuckable | The Silent Thunder IWB Holster

I just bought one last week. I haven't started using it yet, but my initial impressions are that it may not be as comfortable as I hoped. The plastic belt clips are real long and stick out way past the leather, so I'll be surprised if they don't dig into my hip, or at the very least print through my pants in some situations. Then again, it might be fine after I adjust the cant and ride. I took a couple of pics to show you, but I don't know how to upload them (would be nice if I could just locate the files on my PC and click on them ). I'll figure it out when I have a few minutes.

There is no leather or padding between the gun grip and my side (I wear at 4 o'clock), which I found really uncomfortable with previous holsters (and bad for the gun). That is visible in the photos on their website, so I knew that before I bought it, but it still may bug me at some point. I was rushed when I ordered it, so it's on me if I don't like it. I normally would have taken more time to evaluate it and compare to others.

The quality of construction looks pretty good, although I probably would go for J-clips or metal belt clips if I had a Mulligan.

I've worn the Crossbreed and the "Nate Squared" versions of this style, and liked them, but I'm always looking for the "holy grail" of holsters that I can wear all day, sitting or whatever, and never even know it's there!

I almost went with the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck version before I pulled the trigger (yeah...sorry) on the Garrett ST, and I may wish I had after I give this one a try. I'll post a review then.
hydro333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #3

That's a bit on the pricey side. It looks good. It appears to be adjustable for forward and rearward cant. It looks like some thought went into the design. All that said, in making my own kydex and kydex/leather holsters, I have found the rubber washers/spacers aren't as much help as they might appear to be. While they do aid with adjustment for retention, they also "set", after a time. That means constant adjustment until there is no rubber. Keep in mind, the leather with stretch with each adjustment, rendering it less effective.
If one really wants a quality kydex/leather IWB, look no further than a Crossbreed.
Chuck43 likes this.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote