Just put 150 rounds downrange on my new 1911 Gold Match II in 9mm - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By shikano53
  • 1 Post By shikano53

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #1

Just put 150 rounds downrange on my new 1911 Gold Match II in 9mm

Well I wanted to give an update on my new Kimber Gold Match Stainless II

I picked it up today from the post office and when I got home, stripped it down and cleaned it and checked the mag release button for stiffness.
As I mentioned in my intro I'm a south paw and shoot left. For using my trigger finger on the left side to operate the mag release I found the spring too stiff for my liking so I took the mag release out, pulled the spring and clipped two turns out of the spring and then put her back together. It felt pretty darn good so a trip to the range was in order.

The mag release is now awesome! It is perfect for my shooting and I can easily drop a mag using my left hand trigger finger. Drops the mags perfect and reloads a new mag great.
First impressions.
I had my new Gold Match and my CZ SP01 Shadow and alternated different distances and did a few Bill drills with each.
Overall the CZ has the better trigger but I fell instantly in love with the Kimber!

Fits my shooting hand sooooooooooooooooo nice, even better than my CZ with the Hogue Piranha grips.

Nice tight groups and I will bring a flat head to the range tomorrow to tweak it. Shoots low out of the box but I will fix that tomorrow.
So I ordered myself several Ed Brown main springs for shooting IPSC and an Ed Brown main spring housing in Chainlink II along with a magwell and a set of Wilson G10 Combat grips.

I have 5 stock Kimber mags.

Three times today at the range a mag failed to load a round and I had to dump the mag and reinstall it. My first impression is that these mags suck.
I'm shooting 124gr fmj reloads. I guess time will tell but I always do a bump check every time before firing and if the mags are an issue I will look for something aftermarket.

Anyway more when I've put at least 500 rounds downrange.
If anyone wants pics of how to trim the mag release spring let me know and I'll do a sequence of pictures.
shikano53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #2

Nice report and very happy the newbie is shooting well..
One question...Picked it up at the Post Office and not an FFL...???
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the report on the GM. I can't speak for others, but I have switched out more than one Kimber mag.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Nice range report shikano53.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:33 PM   #5

Nice report. Thanks.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:57 PM   #6

Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
Nice report and very happy the newbie is shooting well..
One question...Picked it up at the Post Office and not an FFL...???
Hi Marshall,
Here in Canada things are a bit different. If we are buying a firearm from a dealer that is not in our local area, we need to jump through a few hoops. Not hard hoops, just hoops. So in my case I purchased the Kimber from a dealer in another province.

When you purchase a restricted firearm such as a handgun, the seller calls the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) or CFO (Chief Firearms Office)or in regards to firearms, the Federal control body who regulate, oversee and monitor, and initiates the transfer of restricted firearms.

The seller receives a reference number from the federal CFO which he then gives to the buyer, in this case me.

The buyer then calls the CFO on their toll free number, transfers to the provincial regulatory body (in my case Alberta) and gives the firearms officer in the provincial body the reference number.

I am then issued a STATT, or short term authorization to transport.
The STATT is for a 24 hour period only (I've never seen one for longer than that) which allows you the buyer to transport the newly purchased and registered firearm from the post office to your residence or, if you purchased it locally, from that location to your place of residence. Same hoops, shorter time frame because if you already have a LTATT and are already in the federal system, (Long term authorization to transport) it can be done in a day but you still have to get a STATT to transport the firearm from the dealer to your residence.

It sounds convoluted and I'm probably not explaining it very well, but it's really not difficult. I've purchased a restricted firearm at a dealer here in the city I live in, in the morning, and received my STATT in my email inbox before noon.
Hope that explains it OK.
Kindly
Insta-Gator likes this.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Thank you for the explanation shikano53, I was wondering the samething. We didn't know you were in Canada.

Last edited by Chuck43; 03-11-2015 at 05:26 AM.
Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #8

Then, do you need some other permit in order to transport to the firing range and back to your residence?

Old 03-11-2015, 06:12 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Then, do you need some other permit in order to transport to the firing range and back to your residence?
Hi there,
Yes we need what is called an LTATT or long term authorization to transport. That allows us to transport our firearm to any recognized range facility whether it is indoor or outdoor.

No one in Canada except law enforcement are allowed to actually carry a restricted firearm, and in Canada, all handguns and revolvers are restricted.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:23 AM   #10

Originally Posted by shikano53 View Post
Hi there,
Yes we need what is called an LTATT or long term authorization to transport. That allows us to transport our firearm to any recognized range facility whether it is indoor or outdoor.

No one in Canada except law enforcement are allowed to actually carry a restricted firearm, and in Canada, all handguns and revolvers are restricted.

Hope this helps.
Very informative, thank you. You and your fellow Canadian shooters have my sympathy.