Bullets tear target - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2018, 06:36 AM   #1

Bullets tear target

Last weekend at the range I had several bullets hit the target paper sideways, not punching holes. What is this a sign of? Please don't say it's me.

I should have taken pictures of the target to show better what I am describing.

I was shooting 230 gr target ammo out of my 45 acp Pro Carry II.
remltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-18-2018, 06:44 AM   #2

If it's keyholing, check the crown of your muzzle first, and see if it's all good. then tell us what ammo you were using (and bullet type, because FMJ sometimes looks like that. Also, what distance?
bhunted and Cybercycle like this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:04 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I've seen something like that happen when using targets printed on very light weight paper and no backing.
Cybercycle likes this.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2018, 07:05 AM   #4

Sometimes it is a sign the bullet is tumbling when it hit the target. Good advice from Gmountain...would need more info on what ammo you are using. Also, are you using an unmodified factory barrel in your Pro Carry?
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:45 AM   #5

Crown looks good. It is the original Kimber barrel.

Was shooting a cardboard backed paper target at 10 yards.

The ammo was bought at the range and I don't remember the brand and tossed the boxes.

I suspect it was the ammo as I have never experienced that with this pistol before.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #6

I'm surprised that this didn't get more responses. I also find it very odd to have pistol ammunition keyhole. Generally, I've really only heard reports on it from the AR-15 crowd that have put thousands of rounds through their barrel, as it's usually caused by worn rifling.

How certain are you that the rounds are actually keyholing? Pistol rounds tend not to leave the cleanest cuts in paper anyhow, unless you're using wadcutters. At least, I wouldn't think it's as obvious as a .223 bullet hitting the paper sideways. Also, how tight are your groups at 10 yards? Do they seem to be significantly larger than you're used to? Finally, how many rounds have you put through that barrel? Even though I haven't heard it talked about much, I certainly believe it's possible for a pistol to keyhole.

While I don't outright doubt your observation that the bullets were hitting the target hitting sideways, I would still have you take into consideration that any oddities in the holes that you were looking at in the target were simply from the way that the bullets ripped through the paper and may not actually have been from them hitting it sideways.
GoCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #7

target paper seams to be partial to tearing strange...my airguns would show keyholes but not on reg paper or cardboard.

if in doubt shoot some steel...see what the bullets look like then.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:41 AM   #8

Originally Posted by GoCart View Post
I'm surprised that this didn't get more responses. I also find it very odd to have pistol ammunition keyhole. Generally, I've really only heard reports on it from the AR-15 crowd that have put thousands of rounds through their barrel, as it's usually caused by worn rifling.

How certain are you that the rounds are actually keyholing? Pistol rounds tend not to leave the cleanest cuts in paper anyhow, unless you're using wadcutters. At least, I wouldn't think it's as obvious as a .223 bullet hitting the paper sideways. Also, how tight are your groups at 10 yards? Do they seem to be significantly larger than you're used to? Finally, how many rounds have you put through that barrel? Even though I haven't heard it talked about much, I certainly believe it's possible for a pistol to keyhole.

While I don't outright doubt your observation that the bullets were hitting the target hitting sideways, I would still have you take into consideration that any oddities in the holes that you were looking at in the target were simply from the way that the bullets ripped through the paper and may not actually have been from them hitting it sideways.
All I can go by is my remembered observation. The paper tear looked like a bow tie. Unfortunately when I removed the taped paper target from the cardboard backing I did not observe what the cardboard looked like.

I am sending the pistol back to Kimber today for an overhaul. Not specifically for this reason, it was a planned return to redo the finish. Maybe they will find something.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:01 AM   #9

I still think it may be the bullets simply tearing through the paper, but either way, hope your overhaul goes quick!
GoCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:44 AM   #10

...or a bad quarterback...

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is online now   Reply With Quote