Kimber Pro TLE II - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #1

Kimber Pro TLE II

My new (and first) Kimber arrived exactly one week ago, and I finally had a chance to go to the range for a little break in time. Here's how it went...

I cleaned it thoroughly, light oil in the usual places, etc...

I used the 7 round black factory mag it came with and a new 8 round Kimpro TacMag (#1100721). I was hesitant about the 8 rounder after reading about the various results, but it was all they had when I went in (more on that later). The 7 rounder seems a little rough while loading it, the 8 rounder is smooth as butter.

I started out with 100 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 230gr FMJ, alternating between the factory and new magazines. The first round flipped and hit me on my head. On round 20, the slide locked back on the factory 7 rounder with 2 rounds remaining. I shot from 10 feet, 15 feet, 25 feet. No complaints on accuracy. Recoil is slightly more than a 5" barrel, but nothing to complain about. Both mags dropped freely. The 8 round mag did not easily load into the grip when a round was in the chamber (9 is better than 8, but 8 is better than a possible jam by forcing it, IMHO).

Next I ran 50 rounds of Remington UMC 230gr FMJ through both magazines. No issues. After rummaging in my bag, I found a box of PMC Bronze 185gr JHP. I was hesitant to start running hollow points this early in the break in period, but I couldn't resist. 8 rounds in the KimPro TacMag ran without a hitch.

I was rushed for time, so the barrel pretty much stayed hot the entire time. No jams. No FTE. One failure to load early on. The experience lived up to Kimber's reputation for quality products.

On my way out of the range, they had just dumped a shipment of magazines on the counter. Of course, I'm always a step behind and felt a little regret about buying the KimPro mag earlier. They has some Wilson and McCormick mags, which is rare in this gun shop. I ended walking out with a McCormick Power Mag for $27, and two Kimber mags that performed well during the range session.

Now it's time to break it down and clean it up. I hope this helped anyone on the fence wondering whether or not they should take the leap and buy one of these.

Last edited by ckwelch8; 03-27-2015 at 07:03 PM. Reason: typo
ckwelch8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #2

Good report, glad you didn't have any problems.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:13 AM   #3

CK,

Sounds like the session was a raging success. I have found very few mags that, for whatever reason, will not run reliably in my Kimbers. I still prefer CM and Wilson, but have a bad full of all others.

That first cleaning session is always fun.

John
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #4

Glad to hear the good news. I am very happy with mine.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:26 AM   #5

I really like the looks of the TLE. I could really get psyched about a Pro TLE with a steel frame.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:07 AM   #6

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
I really like the looks of the TLE. I could really get psyched about a Pro TLE with a steel frame.
I had a Kimber on my wish list for a long time. When the day came, I set out knowing exactly what I wanted. The second dealer I stopped at had a SS Pro TLE in the case (which was not my original choice), I had not seen one before and instantly liked it. After a lot of in-store handling and talking to myself, I switched to the Pro TLE and I am very happy with my decision.
pmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #7

Originally Posted by pmcadams View Post
I had a Kimber on my wish list for a long time. When the day came, I set out knowing exactly what I wanted. The second dealer I stopped at had a SS Pro TLE in the case (which was not my original choice), I had not seen one before and instantly liked it. After a lot of in-store handling and talking to myself, I switched to the Pro TLE and I am very happy with my decision.
Sometimes you must buy "the bird in the hand"!!
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #8

I have a Kimber Pro TLE II that I am still breaking in for carry. It is a great gun. We need pictures
Old 04-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #9

I'm still in the break in process with mine as well. On a budget, with other projects going on, but I'm halfway through the 500 rounds. No issues since the original post. I also went ahead and ordered two sets of Wolff recoil/firing pin springs. I carry it to and from work, and the occasional trip to town (I'm LEO, so I've got my duty gun 8 hours a day). I love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kimber.JPG (1.23 MB, 11 views)
Marshall and Zoomybaby like this.
ckwelch8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:26 PM   #10

Think about swapping in the Wilson flatware solution. These seem to have longer rated life cycle and ease the tear down
Chuck43 and Zoomybaby like this.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pro tle ii