Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike240
  • 1 Post By Zoomybaby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2015, 08:11 PM   #1

Used TLE RL with External Extractor

So I'm looking at a used TLE RL that's in great shape but I noticed it has an external extractor. I've read that they can be hit or miss. I've also read that Kimber will swap the slide for one with an internal extractor. Does anyone know if this is still their policy? Should I pass this one up? It's a really nice gun but it's also a lot to spend on a pistol with potential issues.

All comments and advice would be appreaciated.

Last edited by Budasac; 04-15-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-15-2015, 09:07 PM   #2

Personally I have not had issue with the external. And I have tuned a few to work great. I can speak for Kimber still swapping slides without cost. You would have to call. I would shoot the heck out of it and find if there is a problem. If thinking of buying one I would use it as a negotiating tool for a lower price. On the other forum I have read guys who were charged 200 for new slides. Though most just want the traditional extractor because....
Old 04-16-2015, 04:31 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Mike240 View Post
Personally I have not had issue with the external. And I have tuned a few to work great. I can speak for Kimber still swapping slides without cost. You would have to call. I would shoot the heck out of it and find if there is a problem. If thinking of buying one I would use it as a negotiating tool for a lower price. On the other forum I have read guys who were charged 200 for new slides. Though most just want the traditional extractor because....
How many rounds do you think you've put through yours without issue? I shoot quite often and if this is becomes my "go to" gun it'll likely see a minimum of 100 rounds a week.
I would kind of prefer the internal extractor "just because" as well. I'm fine with the EE as long as it functions OK. I really had no knowledge about them on Kimbers until I started looking at this gun and did a little research. I came across a lot of posts about issues with them and it sort of soured my excitement for the deal. I'm supposed to meet the seller at my club tonight so at least I'll get to test drive it. It still makes me a little nervous though.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:22 PM   #4

The TeAm match has over 40k. I quite counting and have others I shoot mostly now. Mainly my work guns.

Bear in mind there were 3 if not 4 extractors used. The tool steel team match regarded as the best but I ran others a few thousands and traded them off. But they were fine. Got to 1911forum and do a search on it in the Kimber section. You'll find so much on the matter your eyes will bleed. Good and bad. Most just wanted them switched out without really running the guns much. I found that mainly there was just an insufficient gap between the breech face and the inner claw. I open them up to .075-.078" correct the bevel and all was good. That is also the issue with many internal extractors too.

Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (166.3 KB, 9 views)
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the input Mike. I ended up buying it. It's basically brand new. The previous owner said he only put about 100 rounds through it. I put another 100 through it the night I bought it and it ran great. No issues at all. The gun is spotless, everything is tight, and the sights are still nice and bright.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #6

Wink Congrats!!!

If the price was acceptable and the pistol is performing well, it sounds like you got a good deal!!

Shoot the day lights out of that TLE and enjoy!! Be safe!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:33 PM   #7

I just put a tle/rl custom black with threaded barrel on layaway. It's a 9mm, someone purchased it and kept it 2 weeks and traded it back in. I can't tell he ever fired it. It was almost 600.00 off retail I just couldn't pass it up. Yours looks great . Look forward to hearing how you like yours while I am waiting to sneak some more cash out of the house to bail mine out. .

2sharp2 likes this.
Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:45 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Thanks for the input Mike. I ended up buying it. It's basically brand new. The previous owner said he only put about 100 rounds through it. I put another 100 through it the night I bought it and it ran great. No issues at all. The gun is spotless, everything is tight, and the sights are still nice and bright.

Good for you. I would have bought it.