Ultra Carry II Leather Paddle Holster? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2018, 09:10 PM   #1

Ultra Carry II Leather Paddle Holster?

Hello everyone, I'm new here. This is my first real post. I'd like some suggestions on a holster. I've searched, here on the forum and the net. I can't find a holster that jumps out at me for my Ultra Carry II 3". I've looked at Wright Leather and KG's as suggested on the forum and haven't ruled them out. I'd like a nice holster that stays close to my body. Here are what I think are my wishes:

-OWB
-Standard High riding holster
-Lined leather or something that won't screw up my pretty Ultra II
-Easy to remove holster, I'm thinking paddle style, but am not totally opposed to a belt worn holster.
-maybe a thumb release, or at least a good snug holster that comes up fairly high on the gun. I don't want to bend over and drop my gun.

I'm not new to carrying everyday. I have several other guns/holster combinations. I have a black plastic gun in the plastic holsters with the finger button release. I also have one of those plastic
paddle holsters that came with my nitron finish sig 1911. I like them both OK but I will not put my new Ultra Carry II in one of those. I have a universal belt slide that attaches to the belt or pants with a metal clip that fits and works OK. I used it the other day at the range while I was reloading mags. It actually works fairly well. I'm just looking for something a little nicer and a little more secure. When it is July hot here in Georgia I often turn to one of my mouse guns. I have one with a metal clip on the gun and I also carry one in a belt slide style molded leather holster.

Does anyone have experience with the leather paddle holster that Kimber sells? That is sort-a-kind-a what I'm looking for. It doesn't appear to be lined and I'd like to hear from someone with first hand experience on how secure it is with the UCarry II since it doesn't have a thumb break.

Help? And thank you in advance.
slowone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-26-2018, 04:44 AM   #2

Welcome from Central Florida. Lots of good guys here. I highly recommend a Milt Sparks “Axiom “ holster. Holds secure, high and close in to the body, most of the time I wear it under just shorts and T shirt here in sweaty Florida. Very quick to remove and put on another belt in seconds due to the double snaps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C127D6B6-49F4-4DEF-8E71-9EB2DFDB3638.jpeg (62.6 KB, 23 views)
cnutco and Karens like this.
Wingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:37 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I've been carrying a Kimber Ultra Tactical II for 2 years now in a Wright Leather Works Predator holster. There's not a mark on the gun and if I hold the holster upside down with the gun in it the gun doesn't fall out. I have 3 WLW holsters and highly recommend them.
427malibu, cnutco and Karens like this.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:05 AM   #4

Here's another vote for Wright Leather Works.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #5

I carry my CDP Ultra almost every day and the friend I bought it from gave me a Kimber holster with a thumb break and I didn't like it very much. I didn't want to wait on a Wright or other brand so I bought the Black Kimber holster that looks like the "High Ride" currently on Kimber's website, not positive it is the same. Mine was only I think $52 bucks, works great, been using it at least 4 years, in and out of holster all the time, no signs of wear on the CDP.
Chuck43 and Karens like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:51 AM   #6

Galco Royal Guard. (Horsehide) conceals very well and comfortable
Hawker800 and cnutco like this.
Albert.Cairns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #7

Thank you all for the quick responses.

I had not seen the Milt Sparks “Axiom “ holster that Wingnut recommends but it is a nice looking rig and they seem to have enough color combinations to make your head spin. It is definitely on my short list.

Wright Leather Predator that Chuck43 recommends and Cybercycle seconds is a contender also. I don't mind a little normal wear but I appreciate the reassurance that the Wright Leather it isn't going to destroy my gun's finish.

Albert.Cairns, Thanks for the suggestion on the Galco but I just can't get used to IWB. I tried and it just doesn't work for me.

2Sharp2, what did you not like about the first Kimber holster? Was it the belt holster with slots? Was the issue just the thumb break or something else?

I do find it interesting that no one seems to be carrying a paddle holster.
My bro just retired from one of those gov agencies that tells you what gun to carry and he swears by a dang OWB Kydex paddle holster with a finger release. He still carries one of those today.

Thanks again to all of you, I'm still shopping.
slowone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:48 PM   #8

Originally Posted by slowone13 View Post
Thank you all for the quick responses.

I had not seen the Milt Sparks “Axiom “ holster that Wingnut recommends but it is a nice looking rig and they seem to have enough color combinations to make your head spin. It is definitely on my short list.

Wright Leather Predator that Chuck43 recommends and Cybercycle seconds is a contender also. I don't mind a little normal wear but I appreciate the reassurance that the Wright Leather it isn't going to destroy my gun's finish.

Albert.Cairns, Thanks for the suggestion on the Galco but I just can't get used to IWB. I tried and it just doesn't work for me.

2Sharp2, what did you not like about the first Kimber holster? Was it the belt holster with slots? Was the issue just the thumb break or something else?

I do find it interesting that no one seems to be carrying a paddle holster.
My bro just retired from one of those gov agencies that tells you what gun to carry and he swears by a dang OWB Kydex paddle holster with a finger release. He still carries one of those today.

Thanks again to all of you, I'm still shopping.

Looked earlier the holster I bought from Kimber say Galco on the back, I can get the model number from it if you want.

I guess one issue I had with the thumb break was I decided I didn't need the thumb break. Main thing I felt like I had to raise my cover garment to high and bend my arm and hand to high under my arm pit making it difficult to draw pistol. At least it was for me.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:50 AM   #9

My first holster was a Kydex and it messed up the finish on my Kimber in just a week or so. I looked at paddle holsters but they didn’t seem to hold as tightly to the body as I wanted, hence the double snap of the “Axiom”. Holds tight been wearing it daily for two years now with no discernible wear on the gun. One of the snaps finally broke and Milt Sparks repaired it on their dime no questions asked.
Wingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #10

Any holster no matter how well made will wear a finish on the gun. Maybe not just from carrying it but if you actually drill with it with a couple thousand rounds a month the wear will show quickly. I probably draw my gun more times in a weekend then the general carrior does in a lifetime. All depends on use.
Wingnut likes this.
Albert.Cairns is online now   Reply With Quote