Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By coralhead
  • 1 Post By Rick in Oregon
  • 1 Post By coralhead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #1

Back from Camden TN

Spent the last weekend at Tactical Response "Fighting Pistol" training. I put my Pro Stainless Raptor, (I conceal carry this gun every day) through the paces and found a shortcoming in the sights for my purpose. Picking up the front sight was difficult with the eye glasses that I wear. The instructor let me shoot his XS Big Dot sights on his Sig and I was able to pick up that front sight no problem. He said they help a lot for old guys (he is 58 and I am 57). I have some new XS big Dot sights coming to replace the factory sights. We ran about 800 to 1000 rounds in our two days of training from close quarters(physically against the target) to shooting from concealment. James Yeager and staff puts on a great school with his training. Learned a lot, trained a lot. Great weekend.
2sharp2, Tejun, swca and 2 others like this.

Last edited by coralhead; 04-03-2018 at 08:02 AM.
coralhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #2

Camden NJ....Really?

Glad you had a good weekend workout, sounds like time well spent.

As a West Coast guy, I have seen "news" tidbits that Camden NJ is one of the highest crime areas of the country. I find it amusing that your class was held there, but having never been there myself, I can only wonder what it's like in such high crime areas. To have any tactical or gun-related training class there seems like either a good idea, or a very bad one, depending on your point of view.

I'm just glad you gained from the experience and had a good time. We've got Clint Smith Thunder Ranch here, but it's about as far from a city environment as one could possibly imagine. Far from any 'city', imagine a facility surrounded by nothing but sagebrush, junipers, low mountains and fresh air. And everyone has a gun!

Home - Thunder Ranch
swca likes this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:45 AM   #3

Sound like it was fun and educational. I've thought about taking advanced shooting classes. It's just really hard to find the time.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2018, 09:10 AM   #4

Smile

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Glad you had a good weekend workout, sounds like time well spent.

As a West Coast guy, I have seen "news" tidbits that Camden NJ is one of the highest crime areas of the country. I find it amusing that your class was held there, but having never been there myself, I can only wonder what it's like in such high crime areas. To have any tactical or gun-related training class there seems like either a good idea, or a very bad one, depending on your point of view.

I'm just glad you gained from the experience and had a good time. We've got Clint Smith Thunder Ranch here, but it's about as far from a city environment as one could possibly imagine. Far from any 'city', imagine a facility surrounded by nothing but sagebrush, junipers, low mountains and fresh air. And everyone has a gun!

Home - Thunder Ranch
TN=Tennessee, I would never go to NJ
My son was talking about Thunder Ranch as a place to go. The one in TX(Texas) though but $1500 is a bit steep. We will most likely attend "Advanced Fighting Pistols" next.

Last edited by coralhead; 04-03-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #5

Like the XS Big Dots myself. Put them on 3 of my shooters. More to come for the rest. Did you order the Tritiums?
They don't take too long to get used to and when you do you will be impressed.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:42 AM   #6

Originally Posted by coralhead View Post
TN=Tennessee, I would never go to NJ
My son was talking about Thunder Ranch as a place to go. The one in TX(Texas) though but $1500 is a bit steep. We will most likely attend "Advanced Fighting Pistols" next.
Well then, had I been actually reading your post diligently, I'd have seen the TN vs. NJ. Ooopsie. I just saw "Camden" and said "WTH?"

I was unaware there was a Camden TN. It still surprises me how many towns and cities here are named identical to others. It cornfuses us old dudes trying to keep track of it.

It now makes perfect sense (to me) that you'd take a tactical pistol course in TN and not NJ. Sorry for the blunder.

By the way, Thunder Ranch is in Orygun, and is not the outfit in TX where it used to be many years ago. Clint Smith studied under Jeff Cooper, was the senior man there when it was moved here. He and his wife Heidi still operate it in Lakeview, OR.

The price always seems steep at first glance, but trust me on this, virtually everyone I know that has returned from TR has said the money was well spent. Most have gone back for more training. Clint did multiple tours as a Green Beret in RVN and has 'been there, done it', and is a highly capable trainer. He won't let you down, that I promise.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Like the XS Big Dots myself. Put them on 3 of my shooters. More to come for the rest. Did you order the Tritiums?
They don't take too long to get used to and when you do you will be impressed.
Tritiums....YES
Cucamonga kid likes this.