New here with a few questions about the TLE ii - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2018, 08:47 PM   #1

New here with a few questions about the TLE ii

I've been collecting for about thirty years now and have a rather eclectic assortment but have yet to add a 1911. My local gun shop got in a Custom TLE ii which was placed on consignment by an Arizona LEO. Seems to have a bit of honest wear, what the shop owner said was a magwell (S&A?) and short trigger (LEO was female) plus three Wilson mags. I checked with Kimber and they said it was manufactured 09/2003, so first commercial year from what I can gather. Finish has a bit of wear but not "rode hard" and sights are likely dead but I just shoot at the range so those are not a factor. Price is $550. I know I can get a new Kimber target at Cabelas for $750 but I kind of like the looks of this one. Just one of those things. Are the older TLE's any better, etc, than the current ones? I'm guessing this was a duty gun ( Arizona authorized them in a lot of localities), so it likely saw the armorer, although I can't be sure. Again, I'm not looking for a carry or self-defense gun, just an informal 1911 paper puncher to fill a niche. I simply like the looks of this one and am wondering if that vintage was good, bad or ugly? Shop owner says it's still tight and has miles left in the tank. (I've dealt with him regularly). Thanks in advance!
RedFeathet is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #2

$550? We better be seeing a pic of your TLE tomorrow!!
bluzman, swca, JC45 and 1 others like this.

Always be ready - 5.11
Hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:24 PM   #3

TLE II is the latest.
model. the II designates that. the earlier Kimbers were just Kimbers if I am not mistaken no II designation. So the 2003 would be the same as today pretty much. There are others here that are more knowledgeable about Kimber history than myself. Some feel the older models may be better buit mine are all II and they are fine. If the little holster wear does not bother you are saving some money and chances are the gun should run fine because I would be surprised to see a LEO carry something that did not perform. This is just my 2 cents for what it is worth. By the way welcome to the forum. Until I actually shot a 1911 I was not concerned with them one way or the other but I have never shot a gun that is easier to shoot. It is the most accurate hand gun I have ever shot. I am addicted. You will be to. Bottom line is I would make an offer of 500.00 and see what shakes out. I bought a Kimber Pro stainless II that had an idiot scratch as the only mark on it for 450.00 here in CA. Keep in mind it will probably not be your last 1911 We here at Kimber Talk find them somewhat addicting. Everyone here will help you choose your next purchase if you need any help making up your mind. The only cure we know of is to buy more Kimbers until completely satisfied!

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #4

$75-$100 will get you a cerakote job and make that thing look like new. Not that you have to but in case you want to. X-Werks in Phoenix does some excellent work. For $550 I would be all over it.
DaVinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:00 PM   #5

If it is external extractor model I would avoid it unless you are very familiar with the quirks and how to correct. In 2003 that was what they had switched too. It may have been corrected with a slide swap by Kimber if the owner sent it back. Lots of talk here on the EE models...I could go on and on.
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:23 PM   #6

It never hurts to ask

Remember you can raise your offer if the LGS wont come down but you cannot really lower your offer once you made one. If he were to spend a 100.00 to refinish it that puts it at 650.00 I would buy the new one at that point. From what I read he is not concerned about the finish I would not be either I would just use that as a reason to haggle the price. If he is not willing to come down so be it buy it for the 550.00. It does not hurt to ask. Remember just because it is on consignment it does not mean the price is etched in stone. I am sorry but I love to haggle price whenever possible that is why I think I like swap meets and yard sales as much as I do it is just fun to find out who is the best haggler just ask the Duke aka the Shootist aka John Wayne.

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
Old 04-12-2018, 05:13 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?

Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:20 AM   #8

Three Wilson mags =$100+. That would put the gun itself at $450. For the price, seems you could get your money back or trade without being out anything (and keep at least 2 of the mags as a bonus).
Old 04-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #9

I forgot about the three mags that is a plus!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
Old 04-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #10

I think $550 is a safe purchase of a TLE unless it has an external extractor.

Just FYI, there are a lot of Custom TLE's up for auction on GunBroker "New in Box" in the $575 to $850 range.
swca likes this.

Gold Combat LE
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
CDP Ultra
Raptor Ultra Stainless
RCP Ultra
SIS Custom
SIS Pro
SIS Ultra