Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By swca
  • 2 Post By swca
  • 1 Post By Mike240
  • 2 Post By bimmerland

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #1

9mm ultra two tone locking up or not fully going into battery

After about 150 rounds and cleaning after each shoot my ultra developed a problem. If you let the slide drop forward with no magazine the slide locks up and will not retract without the gentle nudge of a plastic hammer on the nose. If you let the slide come forward easy it will not go into battery by about a 1/16 of an inch. A slight push and it's ready to go. It does not affect the operation of the pistol. The only change was to use the delrin space to hold the recoil assembly back instead of the takedown pin. I can't figure out what else could have happened. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks
bimmerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #2

If this is happening after you have cleaned it almost sound like there is metal burr on the rails somewhere or a rough spot. I have not experience that befor it being a sixteenth of an inch movement. Possibly the grip safety is causing that. Take your slide off or far enough foward then squeese your gripsafety a couple time and make sure it is retracting to a flush position. Run rour finger across the top of it to check flushness. It can definitly effect the movement of the slide.It only has to barely be above the frame for it to give the slide problems. Well I am sure there may be other suggestions. I am not a gunsmith my knowledge is limited.

Had to put the disclaimer in there so you cannot sue me for poor advice.
Chuck43 and Karens like this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #3

Rack it by hand a hundred times
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2018, 05:06 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
Rack it by hand a hundred times
I dont know I have racked mine by hand a 1,000 times mine still doesn't work right my Dr. thinks it is ED
Chuck43 and Silverbullet like this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I'd strip the slide of the barrel, and recoil spring and try running it slowly back and forth along the length of the frame. If you feel any resistance or roughness either call customer service or try cleaning the rails then apply some toothpaste (not gel) on the rails and run the slide back and forth about 100 times. Clean off the toothpaste, lube the rails and see if it's improved. Repeat if necessary, you won't harm anything with the toothpaste, it's an ultra fine abrasive.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #6

If the slide runs smooth and cleanly on the frame rails without the barrel and spring installed. I would be marking and looking at the barrel feet and upper lugs.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:28 PM   #7

I took all your combined suggestions and removed the recoil assembly and just left the barrel and slide stop in. I kept it well oiled and wore a glove so I wouldn't tear the skin off my hands. After about 300 racks I did notice a shiny ring right at the lug nearest the slide opening that wasn't there before. I reassembled the ultra after a good lube and cleaning and repeatedly let the slide drop forward this time with no issues. Also no more out of battery condition. I'll have to wait until next Tuesday to run some rounds through it to make sure it functions properly. In the meantime I'll call kimber tomorrow and get their take on this issue. Thanks for all the good suggestions.
Chuck43 and swca like this.
bimmerland is offline   Reply With Quote