• 1 Post By Chuck43
  • 1 Post By JC45
  • 1 Post By coralhead
  • 1 Post By coralhead
  • 1 Post By Chuck43

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #1

Removed Ambi safety from Raptor

I just replaced the amibi thumb safety that was original to my Stainless Pro Raptor to a traditional single side safety. Since I carry this a daily carrier I have found at times that the thumb safety has been disengaged while being carried in a holster. From what I can determine is that clothing/seatbelts and other ways that the uncovered ambi side was allowing the safety to be swept down. I contacted Kimber on a replacement and they informed me of the part numbers I needed to replace the safety. I was really surprised/happy that the new safety required no fitting to the hammer. I measured the original safety and the new and they were within .002 inch of each other. The new safety slid right in and worked as the old.

Now I will not have to worry about the safety becoming swept off while carrying.
Tejun, Mini Me, Karens and 1 others like this.

Last edited by coralhead; 06-03-2018 at 06:27 AM.
coralhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-02-2018, 06:51 PM   #2

Would you be interested in selling the original stainless ambi?
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I carry all day every day, all my carry guns (2 ultra and 2 pro) have ambidextrous safeties, if they didn't they wouldn't be EDC guns. I've never, repeat NEVER had a safety accidentally disengage. My carry holsters are Wright Leather Works OWB pancake holsters. I don't know what holster you use or how you carry your gun but I'd be interested in learning more. How did you determine that it was the ambidextrous safety that was causing the problem?
Marshall likes this.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:53 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I carry all day every day, all my carry guns (2 ultra and 2 pro) have ambidextrous safeties, if they didn't they wouldn't be EDC guns. I've never, repeat NEVER had a safety accidentally disengage. My carry holsters are Wright Leather Works OWB pancake holsters. I don't know what holster you use or how you carry your gun but I'd be interested in learning more. How did you determine that it was the ambidextrous safety that was causing the problem?
The Ambi-Safety on my SS Raptor doesnít engage as well as all my other Kimber 1911s. I use this on the range not for carry so I really never cared much but itís not because of the ambi-safety itís not fit properly. If I did carry this gun I would have sent it to Kimber or just replaced it myself because itís something that can be fixed and it could present a problem like coralhead described above when carrying.
Chuck43 likes this.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:24 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
.......... My carry holsters are Wright Leather Works OWB pancake holsters. I don't know what holster you use or how you carry your gun but I'd be interested in learning more. How did you determine that it was the ambidextrous safety that was causing the problem?
I have the same exact setup of WLW holsters. I carry at 4 o'clock. While carrying with cover garment and using seatbelt the safety that is concealed by the holster is protected from outside influences. The ambi safety that is not protected by accidental contact is open to being inadvertently swept down. By removing the ambidextrous safety, I removed the unprotected safety and the likelihood of having the thumb safety being swept down when holstered.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #6

Originally Posted by coralhead View Post
I have the same exact setup of WLW holsters. I carry at 4 o'clock. While carrying with cover garment and using seatbelt the safety that is concealed by the holster is protected from outside influences. The ambi safety that is not protected by accidental contact is open to being inadvertently swept down. By removing the ambidextrous safety, I removed the unprotected safety and the likelihood of having the thumb safety being swept down when holstered.
I feel you. I had the same issue with my CDP Ultra. My problem was mostly "to much fat." Changed mine to the "Short" ambi safety...problem solved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Short Ambi Safety.jpg (2.19 MB, 6 views)

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #7

If you don't mind my asking, what are you going to do with the offending saftey.
LeftHandGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #8

Originally Posted by LeftHandGun View Post
If you don't mind my asking, what are you going to do with the offending saftey.
I put it in the plastic Kimber box in case the weapon is transferred and the next person wants to put it back on. Not for sale because it may go back on if I retire this from every day carry. You are the second person to ask on this. Are they not available?
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by coralhead View Post
I put it in the plastic Kimber box in case the weapon is transferred and the next person wants to put it back on. Not for sale because it may go back on if I retire this from every day carry. You are the second person to ask on this. Are they not available?

You can buy them in Kimber store but it's showing them out of stock at the present time.
Mini Me likes this.

Search tags for this page

kimber micro 9 have ambidextrous safety

kimber micro ambi safety for sale
Click on a term to search for related topics.