Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Webjak
  • 4 Post By 2sharp2
  • 2 Post By JC45
  • 1 Post By VATom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2018, 07:55 PM   #1

Unhappy New Kimber Problem

Stopped by my FFL dealer to pick up my newly ordered Kimber Custom II Two-Tone.
Opened the box and picked the pistol out of the nice oily bag and the magazine fell out. Oh well, must not have been inserted all the way. After a few attempts at inserting the magazine it would not stay in the pistol. The mag release was partially depressed and the mag catch (opposite the mag release) was sticking out slightly.

I declined to pick up the pistol after the FFL and I checked it out.

I contacted the seller (a large reputable dealer from the SE) and they were great about returning the pistol and offered to get a new one on the way as soon as my FFL got the defective pistol en-route back to the them.

The dealer also advised that this was the third one of these issues he had seen in just the last few months involving the 9mm Two-Tone. I advised him that the fix was probably simply backing out the torx/allen on the mag catch but it left a bad taste to have a new defective pistol. He advised they had to re-seat the spring on the other defective pistols. He totally understood and handled the issue very professionally.

The new pistol should arrive in 3 days or so to me on the west coast.

My other Kimbers have been extremely reliable since day one but are all 1990's pistols and not the Series II. Hoping for the best.

Just thought I would share this unfortunate experience. I do not know how the pistol could have made it through any type of quality control.
Jflytle likes this.
Webjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #2

Webjak, welcome to the site from Tennessee.

Good on you for finding a issue before "accepting" the pistol. That's why they call it "inspection period."
Chuck43, Tejun, Loki1967 and 1 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:04 AM   #3

Welcome from Northeast, Pa. I ordered my SS Raptor from Buds and it had a mark under the slide stop that I failed to see until I got home and took the gun apart. Now I take a little more time inspecting a new gun.
Chuck43 and DaveinNC like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2018, 05:08 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Webjak, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?
Old 06-22-2018, 07:08 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois. Sounds like everyone is doing the right thing for you. Unfortunate that you have to go through this though, I know how 'hopes' get raised when it's time to pick up a new pistol.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #6

Smile Kimber

Thanks for the greetings.
Yes, it was an "unsatisfying" moment, especially since I had also found an STI Trojan in .40SW. They are now discontinuing 1911"s, I thought I should have one. It arrived at the same time. We have a $10 "background" fee to pay here in Oregon and a $20 transfer fee by the FFL. So I will wait to pick the Trojan up when the "new" Kimber arrives and save separate fees.

I will compare the Kimber forged frame USA gun to the cast Philippine frames that STI puts together in Texas. Nothing against cast and I have always wanted to see how well STI puts their lower priced pistols together.
Webjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #7

Same thing happened to me with a new Aegis Elite Custom, It was Gun Broker purchase with the selling dealer not taking returns so I took the gun home and discovered that the allen head screw that secures the mag release button was not letting the release lock into a notch in the frame, a simple turn of the screw and it locked into place.
Someone at Kimber was not careful when they installed the mag release.
Masquer08er likes this.
VATom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #8

Originally Posted by VATom View Post
Same thing happened to me with a new Aegis Elite Custom, It was Gun Broker purchase with the selling dealer not taking returns so I took the gun home and discovered that the allen head screw that secures the mag release button was not letting the release lock into a notch in the frame, a simple turn of the screw and it locked into place.
Someone at Kimber was not careful when they installed the mag release.
This kind of post is great. If this ever happens, I will know where to start looking. It's a time and frustration saver!