Trigger job? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #1

Trigger job?

So I just picked up my first 1911 (finally). It's a kimber aegis elite custom. I'm thrilled so far. But I was wondering if anyone had some advice about the trigger. I would like it to be a little lighter (it's not a carry gun - range only) and I would like a little less pretravel. I'm not incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to 1911s and, while I definately want to progress and learn, I dont want to get too deep and make a dangerous and/or expensive mistake. That being said, would you suggest buying a "drop in" trigger and hoping it doesnt need to be fitted, or taking it in for a trigger job (or both)? Or is there maybe some sort of "poor man's" trigger job or something I might be able to do myself? I've done minor work on my other guns and triggers but never a 1911.

Thanks in advance for the help.
1911nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Congratulations on the new Aegis, I'd wait until the gun is fully broken in (approx. 800 rounds) before I messed with the trigger. Remember modifying the gun in any way could void your warranty and if you have to send the gun to Kimber for any reason they will return it to factory specs at your expense before they will return it to you.
427malibu and Bigdog like this.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #3

Welcome to the site from Tennessee.

I agree with Chuck's advise 110%. I would wait on the trigger modifications until break-in is complete.
Chuck43 likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #4

I agree with Chuck and Arland about waiting a while. I would go on YouTube and look at some videos and decide if this job is over your head.
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:41 AM   #5

Okay I'll wait a while. Thanks for the advice. I'll check out some YouTube videos as well. Down the road, after the gun is well broken in, what is the best way to accomplish what I'm going for? Would you say try a drop in or take a trip to the smith? (Unless I feel confident that I am capable after reviewing some YouTube videos)
Chuck43 and JC45 like this.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #6

Originally Posted by 1911nine View Post
Okay I'll wait a while. Thanks for the advice. I'll check out some YouTube videos as well. Down the road, after the gun is well broken in, what is the best way to accomplish what I'm going for? Would you say try a drop in or take a trip to the smith? (Unless I feel confident that I am capable after reviewing some YouTube videos)
I think the best plan is for you to smooth the function of the original trigger. Lighter, smoother, better, crisper, trigger pull is not achieve by "dropping in" a aftermarket trigger. They all need custom honing and smith work.
Watch some videos that will help.
Chuck43 likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #7

1911nine: I've got the exact same Kimber, and will offer that mine also seemed just a tad rough to start right out of the box, but now with over 400 rounds downrange, the trigger is starting to show signs of smoothing out.

As has been mentioned, I would not dink with the gun until you've sent at least 500 rounds downrange. You don't want to void the warranty on this one.

Also, once you shoot the gun for a while with the factory-set trigger, you'll become used to it and most likely find that the trigger is no longer an issue, at least that was the case with mine. The weight of pull on mine is right at 4.5 lbs., and with the optic, I find that it's one fast and accurate rig!
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #8

Thanks for all the input from everybody. This is why I love this forum.

Rick,
It's nice to see someone else with the same setup. How do you like those wilson mags? Think they're worth spending the money over the factory mags? (My local gun shop owner gave me a second factory mag free)
Chuck43 and PaulWVa like this.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #9

Originally Posted by 1911nine View Post
. How do you like those wilson mags? Think they're worth spending the money over the factory mags?
I like the Wilson ETM's primarily because they are 10-rounders, which makes them great at the range. They feed perfectly, will seat fully loaded into a locked gun and drop free every time. I can load five of them and have a full box of ammo at the firing line.

Worth it over the factory mags? To me "yes", but that's purely subjective. But they are of very good quality, typical of what comes out of Wilson's shop. I snagged mine at Midway, so did not pay full retail. They work, they hold a full ten rounds of 9mm and look good doing it.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and Wingnut like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #10

I am not sure what the experience you have had but I will say a 1911 trigger job is much more precise and critical than a .25 trigger job on a Glock. I would suggest if you have not had training and experience in 1911 sear and trigger work I would leave it to someone who has.