• 2 Post By Mike240
  • 3 Post By DaveinNC
  • 1 Post By Jerry1834
  • 1 Post By Jerry1834
  • 1 Post By cousinmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #1

Push Rod Question?

Had an issue today after reassembly - Raptor II 1911 - Problem was the push rod for the firing pin block just stuck up enough thru the hole in the frame that I couldn't get the slide on.

First thought was, I had it in the wrong way - not that! Next thought was to file a little - was having a dumb spell and new better not too.

When everything was lose in the assembly stage the push rod was flush - moved freely up and down.

When I put pressure on the main spring housing and pushed down the grip safety the pin would come up a hair - enough that the slide would stop at the pin.

So, I took the pressure of the Main Spring housing and put the slide one - no problem - them put the MSH pin back in -

Test fired with a primer and it fired OK - I know the push pin did its job.

Anyone else have this type of problem. My Front Sight trip is coming up and I don't need any issues.

Thanks for reading!!!
Jerry1834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #2

You cannot apply pressure to the grip safety and install the slide. The plunger/push rod is activated/raises by the arm of the grip safety. The Swartz is not series 80 which is trigger activated.
2sharp2 and DaveinNC like this.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:52 AM   #3

Yep, the manual states (don't know which page) do not activate the grip safety when assembling after breakdown.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and Supertool like this.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:17 AM   #4

Understood! Just checked again - removed the slide and reassembled without touching the grip safety - the push rod protruded just enough to stop the slide - couldn't push the pin down flush - I am talking hairs here but its just enough to stop the slide.
So, then I gave the slide a good push to the rear to over ride the push pin and everything was OK - to me thats not normal with assembly of the slide - should just glide back in place.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #5

...I'm presuming you had the pistol fully disassembled from you saying you thought you may have had it in the wrong way? Was there a problem prior to stripping down and reassembling? Are all the same parts being used?
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #6

All the same parts - the rod is in correctly - on occasion, in the past the slide would stick ever once in awhile but never paid any attention till now.

Seems like the rod is hanging up on something - maybe a rough spot on the frame. It functions perfectly just back from the range. Was just wondering if anyone else had this experience. May call Kimber and get them to send me a new push rod.
cousinmark likes this.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #7

...Yup, provided the grip safety hasn't been engaged the end of the rod should be flush or recessed in the frame. The slide shouldn't touch it. If you push the grip safety by accident the rod end should SMOOTHLY and easily drop back into the frame with little or no pressure. When you clean the pistol double check while the slide is off if the rod has smooth movement or is hanging up? If it hangs up AT ALL you may want to tear it all down and re set everything??? That's not a part where a malfunction will result in a minor problem if this is your EDC.
JMO...

...As Kimber doesn't recommend disassembly that deep they'll ask you to send it in. More likely than not they'll fix it for free.

Last edited by cousinmark; 09-09-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #8

Not the EDC but I'll take down again at the end of the week for another look see. May just need a little polish.I can send it back not a problem they are a good group. Was offered a job in Yonkers custom shop back when they moved there but I had just retired and wasn't really interested.
This is a good site and just figured I through it out there for some info/insight.
cousinmark likes this.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #9

Hey, if you're that adept at tuning up 1911s you're going to be popular around here :-)
...If you get yourself dialed in with the Micro .380s you may even be able to make yourself some extra ammo money. If you can learn to tune up the Solos you can probably supplement your retirement income nicely :-)
...I'm sure you'll get the Raptor push rod thing worked out.
Marshall likes this.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:39 AM   #10

Only do my own stuff anymore and very little at that - liability issues come into to play and at my age not worth it. The best 380 is still an early Walther and my EDC most of the time.