Looked At KHX Custom .45 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #1

Looked At KHX Custom .45

Stopped into Cabela's yesterday, wife wanted to check out the raingear, I said you will find me at the gun counter when you get thru come get me.
Plastic pistols, plastic pistols, more plastic pistols, blah, blah, blah. Entry level Kimber's 700-800 range, Micro 380's, Micro9's. Well they had the KHX Custom .45 with optic, decided to check it out was mostly interested in how good or bad I could see the red dot in the optic. Answer: "Not real good" for my eyes it could work for the range but I would not consider it for self defense ( I don't think) it would require a lot of practice IMO. I had a hard time seeing/finding the red dot with both eyes open. The tall sights did co-witness with the optic.
The pistol itself felt great with it's round butt, no problems there, grips felt good and looked pretty good. The tag was $1,299.99 so with Tennessee sales tax would put it a good bit above $1,300 and at this time I'm not a player. If I decided to get one to play with it would probably be a Pro model with the optic.
Chuck43, bhunted, JC45 and 1 others like this.

Gold Combat LE
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
CDP Ultra
Raptor Ultra Stainless
RCP Ultra
SIS Custom
SIS Pro
SIS Ultra
TLE Pro (TFS)
Stainless Raptor
Custom Two Tone .45/460 Rowland
Super Carry Ultra Plus
84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-15-2018, 02:28 AM   #2

I still haven’t seen one yet. The one thing I don’t like about the KHX is that they made the mainspring housing the same color as the grips. I would prefer it to just be black so it would match any grips I decided to put on this gun. Sig did the same thing on my P938 Extreme and when I replaced the grips I hated the look. Now that gun has black MSH. Other than that I think it’s a great looking gun.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, bhunted and 1 others like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:44 AM   #3

I love round butts! They feel great in my hand.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and Jflytle like this.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2018, 05:55 AM   #4

I was at my lgs yesterday and the dan wesson eco caught my eye. It was in 45 acp, held it , racked the slide, checked out the trigger and sights, then ordered it in 9mm. Trading in my ultra stainless raptor in 45acp. Just hope they give me a decent trade in price.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:18 AM   #5

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
I was at my lgs yesterday and the dan wesson eco caught my eye. It was in 45 acp, held it , racked the slide, checked out the trigger and sights, then ordered it in 9mm. Trading in my ultra stainless raptor in 45acp. Just hope they give me a decent trade in price.
I know we live relatively close to each other, do you mind telling me which LGS you use ?
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:24 AM   #6

Dunkelburgers in brodheadsville
JC45 likes this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #7

IMO, the trade in dollar amount the gun shop gives you for your stainless ultra will be way less than it is really worth.
Chuck43, Marshall, JC45 and 1 others like this.

Gold Combat LE
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
CDP Ultra
Raptor Ultra Stainless
RCP Ultra
SIS Custom
SIS Pro
SIS Ultra
TLE Pro (TFS)
Stainless Raptor
Custom Two Tone .45/460 Rowland
Super Carry Ultra Plus
84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #8

Arland, when I first took out my new Aegis Elite Custom (OI) for some range time, I had the same initial impression IRT the red dot floating about and not being readily accessible.

But after just one range session, my concerns were found to be unfounded, as if one keeps concentrating on the front sight (like we ALWAYS should), that red dot seems to always be "there" bright and easy to see.

As a COF (Certified Old Fart), I now see the true value of this sight system, in that it's very easy to get first shot hits on target, and consistent follow-up shots on a repeat basis, MUCH faster than just using irons, even with all the latest 'dot systems'. Add in COF eyes, and it's a done deal.....faster and accurate.

One look at the pro handgun gamers like Leatham and others all using them should tell us something......it really works!
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Jflytle and 2 others like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
IMO, the trade in dollar amount the gun shop gives you for your stainless ultra will be way less than it is really worth.

Arland is right, LGS is going to low ball you on the trade in order to make money when they sell it. You'd be better off selling it yourself, try offering it on the forum, you never know.
2sharp2 and 427malibu like this.

Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:01 PM   #10

Most everyone I have seen in a gun store trying to look through an RDS on a handgun doesn't fully present the gun, but rather holds the gun in close. Very difficult to find the dot. Present the gun like you have a million times and you'll quickly learn the red dot is fast to acquire and get on target.

Suppressed 22 with RDS... guaranteed to put an ear to ear grin on ya.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MGXkTNe.jpg (1.85 MB, 19 views)
2sharp2, bhunted, Mini Me and 2 others like this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 09-16-2018 at 09:48 AM.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote