Wilson 10mm Mags Problem - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #1

Wilson 10mm Mags Problem

I recently tried out a couple of Wilson 10mm mags in my Camp Guard. I had issue with almost every round with failures to load. No problem with the Kimber mag using the same ammo.

Anyone else have problems with the Wilsons 10mm mags?
rlt7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-11-2018, 05:08 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I think the best place to ask your question would be at Wilson Combat.

Wilson Combatģ & Scattergun Technologies
Technical Questions: 1-870-545-3618
Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 4:30 PM CST
bigdog10 and 2sharp2 like this.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:21 AM   #3

Well I disagree. I asked if anyone else had problems with Wilson 10mm mags. Wouldn't the Kimber talk forum be the best place to ask fellow Kimber owners if they had the same experience as me?

Besides, at 7:38 pm CST Wilson is closed.
rlt7272 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 07:37 AM   #4
Super Moderator

The reason I suggested you ask a Wilson Combat Tech. is because I'd guess that we have less then 6 forum members that own a 10mm Camp Guard. Of those that do, the odds are that none of them are running Wilson Combat magazines. If your gun functions perfectly with Kimber magazines logic says the problem is with the WC magazine. The WC Tech. would know if they had a defective batch of magazines, could advise you on how to adjust it or replace your defective mag with a good one.
2sharp2, DaveinNC and VvVvrjrlaw like this.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #5

Chuck "Nailed It!"
Chuck43 and VvVvrjrlaw like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #6

I've heard poor things about Wilson mags other than 45.
Destry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #7

Not sure exactly who mfg's Kimber mags, but my Kimber 10mm mags look exactly like my Springfield 1911 9mm mags. New mags inherently have very stiff springs and need to take a "set". I like to keep mags fully loaded for about a month, and I also polish the inside of the mag's feed lips with some 600 emery. IME new mags can sometimes have a hard time stripping the first round of a fully loaded mag and you get random incomplete feed into battery. Once the springs soften up a bit they work perfect. (at least mine do).
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
Road_Clam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:14 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Wilson Combat makes a very high quality magazine, you can't argue that point. I don't run them because I learned a long time ago that you can get a Cadillac ride without having to actually buy a Cadillac. I own over 70 magazines in various calibers, the majority are Kim Pro Tac-Mag's with "Joe's 1911 Mag Mania" a close second. Joe's is located down the road from the company that many of us believe also make's Kimber's magazine and Joe's says they buy the surplus magazines from a well known magazine producer.

The first thing I do with any new magazines is to strip them down, you'd be surprised at the stuff I've cleaned out of new magazines. Learning to adjust the lips on a magazine is easy.

I used to be of the school that thought loading a spring and letting it sit weakened or worked the stiffens out of it. For example, load a magazine and let it sit loaded to relax the spring, I was wrong. Research into the subject of spring wear straightened me out. Compressing a spring or letting it sit relaxed has no effect on it. It's the compression and decompression cycles that weaken the spring.
2sharp2, Mini Me and Road_Clam like this.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:50 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
The reason I suggested you ask a Wilson Combat Tech. is because I'd guess that we have less then 6 forum members that own a 10mm Camp Guard. Of those that do, the odds are that none of them are running Wilson Combat magazines. If your gun functions perfectly with Kimber magazines logic says the problem is with the WC magazine. The WC Tech. would know if they had a defective batch of magazines, could advise you on how to adjust it or replace your defective mag with a good one.
I recently emailed WC with a product question and received a response in a very timely manor. Not only did they answer my question they followed up the next day to make sure I was happy with their response. They do care about the quality of their products and their customer service and I have no doubt they will help rlt7272.

rlt7272 it never hurts to ask a question around here but WC mags arenít cheap so before you try to modify the mag to make it work Chuckís advise is the right way to go.
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:01 AM   #10

Life time warranty on WC magazines - great customer service - had problems with some 45acp magazines and they took care of the issues with no questioned asked. Worth the call!!!!
Chuck43, JC45 and Camp Guard like this.
Jerry1834 is offline   Reply With Quote