Lost My Tail On These - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #1

Lost My Tail On These

Bought 2 Kimber's an Ultra Carry for the wife and a full size 1911 style for me. Both stovepiped from the start. Noted in manual...."500 rnds to break in required, no hollow points or square nose bullets. OK. so round nose only...same problem, jamming. Sent the wifes in for repair, came back, same problem. Ending up selling them both and took a big hit. TOLERANCES SEEM TOO TIGHT. I would never buy this scrap metal again (500 rnds to breakin, sorry can't wait that long)
oldironguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #2

That seems very odd.Two different models experiencing the same problem at the same time.Did Kimber provide any possible reasons for this malfunction?I have a Kimber Super Carry Custom HD and have experienced zero malfunctions in almost two years.Lost count of the round count after 500.I would not hesitate to buy this same model again.Sorry you had such a negative experience,but I am curios as to what caused the problem.
MPO Southy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #3

I don't know what caused this on 2 different Kimbers, But they sent the wife's back still with the same malfunction, Tried 4 different types of ammo (round nose as specified) same problem. We had over 2000.00 invested in this junk. Have heard from a gunsmith at Gander Mtn that Kimbers metal to metal tolerances are just TOO TIGHT

Old 09-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #4

Tight tolerances are what make Kimbers the guns they are. That said, there has to be a definable reason for these issues. I do not mean to offend but, since you had two different variations with the same issue, I'm leaning toward operator error. Could it be you were holding them too loosely? Kimbers don't like a weak grip.
Maybe you could clearly explain when these issues occurred. Or, if indeed you have sold them, why the post? There are some folks in here willing to help but if you no longer have the guns, you've past our ability to be of any assistance. Mine anyway.
PatAz likes this.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #5

As this is a Kimber Forum, my experience with Kimber's doesn't have to be positive to be read, if Kimber owners are offended thats not really my concern. It's what happened when I bought 2 expensive Kimbers.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Super Moderator

First let me say welcome to the forum oldironguts. Second if you still own the guns then you haven't lost a penny. Like pbsdaddy said tight tolerances are what make Kimbers the guns they are. I bought a pro carry off a guy that was having similar problems to yours. He swore it was a piece of crap and said that if I was dumb enough to buy it he'd give me a great deal on it. I ran into him at the range a couple months later and thanked him for selling me the gun. I asked him if he'd like to shoot it, he gave me a look and said no. So while he was watching I ran 3 clips through it without a single hiccup, I said that the gun will shoot like that all day long. He asked me what it took to fix the gun and I told him nothing it just needed to be broken in. I gave it a through cleaning then ran about 300 additional rounds through it and it fixed itself. I later heard he was telling people at the range that I cheated him out of the Kimber.

If you still have the guns then I would suggest you try again, follow the instructions in the owners manual.

BREAK-IN PERIOD

Before firing the pistol for the first time, Field Strip and clean the firearm following proper procedures (see DISASSEMBLY, CLEANING and LUBRICATION and ASSEMBLY Instructions in this Manual).
Kimbers firearms are quality custom pieces. Our firearms are hand fitted to tight tolerances. For proper Break-in of the firearm shoot 400-500 rounds of Quality Factory Ball (230g. FMJ). Ammunition, cleaning and lubricating the gun every 100-150 rounds.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #7

You're right. This is a Kimber forum and the posts don't have to be positive. So welcome. Glad to have you!

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #8

A solid grip, yes is always required and is a common problem yet easily fixed. And good lube also helps. I had a few failure to feeds always on the first round I think because I thought Moly Dry lube was the way to go, NOT. Welcome to the world of Zero Tolerance BTW. Match Grade is what it's all about. All 1911's require break in period. Kimbers are tight and need handling accordingly. Maybe some patients, some advice and some practice would have changed the outcome in the long run. Maybe not. Wish you chimed in before you let them go. Let us know if you have the same problems with your next purchase.

Last edited by Sonofagun; 09-29-2013 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Added
Sonofagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #9

Originally Posted by oldironguts View Post
Have heard from a gunsmith at Gander Mtn that Kimbers metal to metal tolerances are just TOO TIGHT
What was he trying to sell you???

Kimber's aren't built anywhere near as tight as some other 1911's I shoot that also run 100% reliable. This is especially true of the Ultra and Pro Carry models I've shot. The above statement is a complete falsehood.

If you still have the guns there are many here that can probably help you get them up and running. If not, you are correct that your negative opinion can be expressed here....I just doubt anyone is gonna waste much more time caring. The title of your thread and a couple comments lead me to believe you've already sold them and now you just want to kick and scream a little.
ultramag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #10

I had a few issues with my Super Carry Ultra Plus. After about 300 rounds I took it to my local gunsmith. He adjusted the extractor throated the barrel and worked on the slide stop pin. Kimber sent me a new slide stop pin free and it has worked like a charm ever since. Hope you haven't given up too soon. I also have a Custom Crimson Carry II, STS Solo, and a Colt XSE Government, along with a few other semi auto's and wheel guns. It's a toss up between the Solo and the Super carry ultra plus on which one I like the best. Tight yes, Frustrating yes, Accurate as hell.
PatAz likes this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
gander mountain super carry hd kimber
kimber handguns are sold out 2013
kimber super carry custom for sale gander mountain
kimber super carry ultra for sale at gander mountain
kimber super carry ultra plus for sale in florida
kimber super pro carry hd for sale

kimber tight

why are forums so down on kimber 1911
Click on a term to search for related topics.