Is a 3" barrel reliable - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 04:46 AM   #1

Question Is a 3" barrel reliable

I am about to buy a Super Carry Ultra+. I have a Solo and love it. I am a little concerned about the reliability of the short barrel length. It's not hard to find bad reviews on these forums. Can anyone give me advise on personal experience with an Ultra+. Thanks.
Smarshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #2

i have an ultra cdp thats ran flawless 500 + thru it have a ultra raptor that i havent shot yet everything i hear about them is all positive
rickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:11 AM   #3

Thanks. Good to hear.
Smarshe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #4

3" Reliable

I have an ultra covert custom shop 3" and have fired alot of rounds through it, no problems. I have fired different ammo and bullets and not one problem.
Thats not saying you can't have problems.

canthit
canthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #5

Short pipe 1911s are the redheaded stepchild of the platform. The short stroke can create some timing troubles that are not apparent in 4" and 5" barreled guns and not all 3" models will be problematic. For those that are there are some simple fixes and tweaks that can make them every bit as reliable as their long legged brethren.

I bought a Super Carry Ultra HD for Christmas and it had some failure to feed and eject issues through the first 500 rounds or so. This is Kimber's state "break in" period, but there was a couple of things I did to insure that the gun performed 100%.

One of the things that make short barrels fussy is the cycle time. Given the same load, a 3" barrel cycles faster than a full size gun due to the lack of mass in the slide: a lighter slide will be driven rearward faster. Perhaps the single most effective adjustment I made to my Ultra was to install a square bottom firing pin stop. The square bottom makes the hammer harder to push rearward, thereby slowing the cycle. We're talking milliseconds here but it makes a huge difference to the little gun. These can be had from 1911 parts houses......bought mine from Wilson Combat.

Adjust extractor tension. The extractor in my gun was very tight out of the box causing a few stovepipes (again, related to cycle speed) and frequently tossed brass at my head. Simple to adjust with a little bending. I changed this one for a WC Bulletproof just because.......I'm sure the factory extractor was just fine but it did need some tweaking.

Polish the feed ramp! Unlike their larger brothers, the feed ramp on Kimber's Ultras is part of the barrel and is very easily polished to a mirror finish. The FTF issues in my gun would jam the bullet nose on this ramp, which Kimber does not polish on their builds. A little automotive polishing compound on a Q-Tip shines that ramp up beautifully very quickly. Not had a single FTF since I did this simple, quick adjustment.

With these few tweaks the gun has become 100% reliable with not a single failure to feed nor eject in the last 140+ rounds, from 230gr hardball range loads to Corbon +p 185s and 230s. Great little piece......I love this gun! Just can't decide which grips to keep on it!

protector 6062 likes this.
BucMcMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #6

I bought my ultra carry new about 10 years ago. Not any trouble with it so far. I do shoot a lot of cast 200gr swc's and some jacket hp's. Only thing is I shoot it a few inches high at 25 yds.
bob kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #7

I bought a super carry ultra this weekend. My first kimber. I immediately went to the range. The first 50 rds was 230 gr fmj and not a single problem. I then switched to reloads of win 231. Ran fine for first 75 or so, then started to ftf. It ejected and fed fine, but would close completely. I chalked it up to the fouling of chamber (win231 is fairly dirty). I hope that was all it was. Loved the guh though. Very accurate out to 15-20 yds.
Biomanghs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #8

Polished my feed ramp on Kimber Ultra CarryII

Federal semi wad cutters are notorious for FTF..because they are almost flat at the the top of the brass casing. A little time with Flitz and a q tip..They all chambered and fired. No FTF.. Amazing what a little time can do.
GKKimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #9

I bought a Super Carry Ultra + two weeks ago. I love it. I put 200 rounds through it Winchester 230 FMJ. After about 150 the slide would fail to return to the closed position. I contribute it to a dirty slide with tight tolerances. I will run more through it this week end. I think it will be a great EDC once the thing loosens up a little. Go buy one if you haven't already.
2sharp2 likes this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #10

BucMcMaster, that was a wonderfully informative and well written bit of advice. My only Kimber thus far is a Super Carry Custom HD. I love the 5" barrel for competition, but have really relished the idea of something more easily concealable for EDC. Your tips and tricks are goin' into my bag of tricks for future reference.
farruggio is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

.kimber super carry ultra review

can kimber solo be reliable

is 3 inch 1911 reliable

kimber 1911 forum

kimber solo extractor

kimber solo extractor problem

kimber ultra carry threaded barrel

reviews on kimber raptor 3inch barrel

Click on a term to search for related topics.