Trading Down - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2018, 08:42 PM   #1

Trading Down

Hey guys! I really enjoy the wisdom shared in discussions on this site. My first purchase was a Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II in 9mm. I quickly learned it just too much gun for me to conceal. So, I picked up a SA XDs and carry it always. However, I really prefer the 1911 platform. With only 300 rounds through the Raptor, I’m considering trading down for an Ultra Carry II. What do you guys think? Am I going to take a beating or walk away with money in my pocket? I can’t have both. Gotta keep the wife reasonably happy/tolerant. Might even sell the XDs if carrying the UC II works.
DES57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-29-2018, 01:38 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum from Northeast, Pa.

The 2 guns I carry the most are my TLE Ultra 45 and my Sig P938. The Sig easier to conceal in warmer weather.
I don’t think I would get rid of the Raptor because it makes an excellent range gun if you don’t want to carry one. I would sell the Springfield and look for a Micro 9 or Sig P938. I’m seeing them as cheap as $450 depending on the model you like.
I had an XD40 and an XDS45 and both are gone. They were very reliable guns but I never really enjoyed shooting them. I trade my M&P Shield 9mm for my 938 and I have no regrets. The Shield was also a solid carry gun but I shoot the Sig better and I shoot it more because I enjoy shooting it.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:23 AM   #3

I carry a Ultra in the winter and my XDs9 in the summer. hope this helps and welcome to the forum from NY..

Old 11-29-2018, 05:11 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum DES57, if you're having a problem concealing a 4" gun I don't know if a 3" is going to be any easier the frames are the same size. As JC45 suggested look at a Kimber Micro 9 or Sig P938 they can be pocket carried.

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?
JC45 likes this.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:55 AM   #5

I can relate to carrying something heavy. The times that I am in the most problematic areas is when I am in a tight crowds, like a mall. I have been vacillating about using a .45 ACP and perforation.

I'm thinking about going back to carrying my P238 with Hornady Critical Defense. Any confrontation will be close, and that's a good round for situations like that. Good guy or not, you're responsible for every round you shoot.
Tejun likes this.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:02 AM   #6

I've been carrying a sig p365, but as of yesterday I switched to my ultra stainless raptor in 45 acp. With a kusiak itw holster it disappears with a loose t shirt. You have to decide for yourself , , everyone has there own opinions. By the way when I purchased a dan wesson, I was going to trade my raptor in and they only offered me 375. That's why I kept it. Hope all these respnses don't confuse you more.
Tejun likes this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #7

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
I've been carrying a sig p365, but as of yesterday I switched to my ultra stainless raptor in 45 acp. With a kusiak itw holster it disappears with a loose t shirt. You have to decide for yourself , , everyone has there own opinions. By the way when I purchased a dan wesson, I was going to trade my raptor in and they only offered me 375. That's why I kept it. Hope all these respnses don't confuse you more.
Thanks 427Malibu! I’m with you on not wanting to lose roughly a thousand bucks. I’ll keep it too!
427malibu likes this.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:23 AM   #8

[QUOTE=Chuck43;887976]Welcome to the forum DES57, if you're having a problem concealing a 4" gun I don't know if a 3" is going to be any easier the frames are the same size. As JC45 suggested look at a Kimber Micro 9 or Sig P938 they can be pocket carried.

I’ve considered the Micro 9 but it’s not a true 1911. Advertised as a 911. Visually, I see no grip safety but I’m not a gun smith so I don’t know the differences beyond that.
I’ve never found a good simple explanation as to what makes a 1911 a 1911 but I like the way they shoot and feel in my hand. I believe the trigger mechanism has a lot to do with it. Seems like the trigger “slides” back rather than “pivoting” from a single point.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Welcome to the forum DES57, if you're having a problem concealing a 4" gun I don't know if a 3" is going to be any easier the frames are the same size. As JC45 suggested look at a Kimber Micro 9 or Sig P938 they can be pocket carried.

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?
Thatís what I was thinking, if a 4Ē gun wonít work a 3Ē isnít going to be much better.

DES57, you are correct a Micro isnít not a true 1911 but itís set up the same way as a 1911 so if your familiar with a 1911 adapting to a Micro should be easy.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #10

I've got more handguns than humans should be allowed. But now that I'm into Geezerhood, I find that I seldom carry any of my full size Kimbers for CC. If I do, it's one of my Ultra Carry's in nine or 45 worn IWB in a Milt Sparks VM2.

But I'll cop to the fact that unless I feel I'm in enemy territory, I usually opt for my Micro 9 worn IWB and stoked with Hornady Critical Defense in an Adams Leatherworks rig, as it is virtually invisible with just a t-shirt covering when worn at the 4:00 position.

I also have a Sig P938 that fits this rig perfectly, but I prefer the feel of the Kimber in my hand over the Sig; just a personal observation.
Tejun, Hoffbrew, JC45 and 2 others like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote