Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By .38SuperMan
  • 4 Post By RustyIron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2018, 08:31 PM   #1

Ramped vs standard barrel and bull vs bushing barrel

Hi I would like to know the pro and cons between these type of barrels and which one to buy on my next 1911 purchase
keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-30-2018, 07:50 AM   #2

I like ramped barrels.

I practice with hardball, but usually use some form of hollowpoint for defense. I even check the hollowpoints for rough edges that could catch on anything.

For example, I took the slide off my Kimber, and inserted a loaded magazine. The "nose" of the Hornady Critical Defense was already halfway up the ramp.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:48 AM   #3

Ramped barrels provide more support for the cartridge and are stronger. Extra support isn’t generally needed for factory loads though but if you’re loading for major power factors, for example in IPSC, a ramped (supported chamber) give extra support to prevent cases from rupturing.

All of my Kimbers in 45 and 38 super use ramped barrels as does my 9mm Springfield. I’ve been shooting some remaining major powerfactor loads from my IPSC days in my Eclipse Target 38 super. The Eclipse handles them with no issues where as my Colt SXE LW commander doesn’t have a ramped barrel and would be questionable as to whether it would handle these loads safely.
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.
.38SuperMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2018, 11:53 AM   #4

I think that a ramped barrel eliminates the transition, so is potentially more trouble free. A bushing has an extra part with extra boundary areas, potentially introducing more inaccuracy. However, there are top-notch guns that use all these types of design, and there are pieces of worthless junk that use all these types of design. In other words, this wouldn't really be something that you would look for when buying a gun. What other characteristics are you looking for in a new gun?

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:07 PM   #5

My preference is ramped barrel with bushing, just like my Stainless Target 9mm.
wproct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:39 AM   #6

My pop-in-law's Kimbers were all bull barrel, and they were tight as a drum. There was zero slop, play, rattling, etc. Mine is a bushing barrel, and in comparison it's a little loose. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't rattle like a Rock Island or anything. It shoots straight and works smoothly. But I will say Dad's Kimber Liberty and whatever his little Kimber were had a more precision, higher quality feel, FWIW.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:38 PM   #7

Ramped and Bull Barrel. Easier on the feeding and better lockup.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote