Question for the Compact/ Ultra people - Page 2 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2019, 10:17 PM   #11

Originally Posted by BCD 45 View Post
I know that Tactical Ultra he has will shoot any 185gr. that you put in it. I guess it just has the correct spring and is set up right. I've tried buying it from him several times but I guess you know what he said I could go do.

Jim D
Yeah … some guns just run period. As per our talk on Sig 320s, Jim, my compact runs everything I've ever put through it. It has around 3500 rounds so far … with everything from 50gn +P HPs from Liberty to 115 to 158s FMJ. It runs on aluminum, brass and steel case with exactly ONE failure to eject with a steel case round, it ran the other 999 without an issue.

Some other guns people talk about can't seem to get through two mags in row without something stopping it. Handguns are a strange science for sure. But when you get one of the real good ones, you keep it. If it won't run … get rid of it. I've been on both sides.
aqualungs and BCD 45 like this.

Last edited by PaulWVa; 01-15-2019 at 10:22 PM.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-16-2019, 05:24 AM   #12

I don’t have near the round count that some have but I have run 230, 200 and 185 grain ammo through my Ultra. They all ran fine and I really didn’t notice any discernible difference between them.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:34 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BC[COLOR=black
D 45;896758][/COLOR]I know that Tactical Ultra he has will shoot any 185gr. that you put in it. I guess it just has the correct spring and is set up right. I've tried buying it from him several times but I guess you know what he said I could go do.

Jim D
I don't understand this statement "it has the correct spring and is set up right". My EDC is a Tactical Ultra with about 4000 rounds through it. Nothing has been polished or tuned in it, I run a "Factory Recoil Spring". To the best of my knowledge the only recoil spring available is the compound spring assembly from Kimber. The gun will reliably shoot any weight bullet I load in it, if it wouldn't I wouldn't carry it. The same goes for any gun in my collection that I have deemed carry worthy. JMHO... Either a gun works or it doesn't, period.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #14

Hey Chuck,
My comment of "I guess it has the correct spring and is set up right" didn't mean anything in-particular. Like you know, I'm new to 1911's and trying to learn. I don't know why some guns run with anything while others don't. I was just assuming that his gun is a good one that runs on anything because it was built that way.

I built AR's for a few years and I know that if they are not "set up right", they are not going to run and be reliable. Gas port size, gas block, buffer spring, length of gas tube matching barrel length, and BCG weight all come into play making an AR run reliably. It can be a chore and a PITA.

Sorry if I said something that was misunderstood, I meant nothing by the comment.

Jim D
SE Texas
PaulWVa likes this.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #15
Super Moderator

I was just trying to understand what you were saying. It's possible there could be other recoil spring assemblies available for the Ultra series that I was unaware of.

I'm a firm believer in shooting a gun to break it in, there are others that believe you have to modify it to get there. I have a nice selection of 1911's that are carry worthy so I can take my time with a new gun. I keep shot records on every gun I own, it takes 800 trouble free rounds for a gun to earn a place on my EDC list. If I have a problem with a gun on round 487, the problem gets resolved and we start all over again with round 1. Some may agree with me and others will say I'm crazy but it works for me.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #16

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I was just trying to understand what you were saying. It's possible there could be other recoil spring assemblies available for the Ultra series that I was unaware of.

I'm a firm believer in shooting a gun to break it in, there are others that believe you have to modify it to get there. I have a nice selection of 1911's that are carry worthy so I can take my time with a new gun. I keep shot records on every gun I own, it takes 800 trouble free rounds for a gun to earn a place on my EDC list. If I have a problem with a gun on round 487, the problem gets resolved and we start all over again with round 1. Some may agree with me and others will say I'm crazy but it works for me.

Your crazy like a Fox my Brother!!
PaulWVa likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #17

My Ultra so far is my favorite gun to shoot in my safe, next to my AR pistol. It is new but I love it. Like someone said they run or they donít and so far it runs. Mine is in chambered 9mm and it fits my hand perfect. It also doesnít seem to discriminate grain..
I do love Wilson Ultra lube.. great stuff! Clean with CLP, lube with Wilson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aqualungs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammo, magazines, ultra