Skeletonized Hammer Broke, Replacement Part? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #1

Skeletonized Hammer Broke, Replacement Part?

The skeletonized hammer broke on my Kimber Tactical Custom II. The hammer still works, the gun fires, but the loop part of the hammer broke.

1. Does Kimber replace this free if it was a manufacturing defect?
I've owned the gun for about 15 years. The loop part of the hammer shattered off on its own, gun has never been dropped or abused.

2. If I have to replace it myself, what is the part number I should order?
I see there are (2) skeletonized hammer part numbers:
SKU: 4100120 - Hammer and Sear Set ($57)
SKU: 4100145 - Hammer Assembly w/ Strut and Pin ($40)
If the gun still fires and just the skeletonized hammer is broken, then do I just need the cheaper of the two SKU parts (4100145 is $17 cheaper)

Thanks
bigtuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum from Northeast, Pa.

My suggestion would be to call customer service and see what they have to say. They may surprise you.
Bigdog likes this.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I completely agree with what John suggested.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
Hours: M—F, 9:30 a.m.—7 p.m. Eastern
Bigdog likes this.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:49 PM   #4

Originally Posted by bigtuna View Post

1. Does Kimber replace this free if it was a manufacturing defect?
I've owned the gun for about 15 years. The loop part of the hammer shattered off on its own, gun has never been dropped or abused.
Under normal use that's a defect. While not officially under warranty, I'd be surprised if Kimber didn't ask you to return the gun for a no-charge repair, if for no other reason than general PR.

As I'm sure you know, when calling a gun manufacture (anyone really) with a problem being humble goes a long way. Arrogant pricks think they can bully people in doing what they want... they often find out otherwise.

Good luck. Report back.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, DaveinNC and 2 others like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #5

wow...hope that doesn't become a trend
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:57 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. I'll give Kimber a call tomorrow and see what they say. I'm not upset, I'll keep it pleasant. It's weird how the hammer shattered. I'll send Kimber the photo, see what they say.

(see photo)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190127_194328_rs.jpg (145.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190127_195257_rs.jpg (131.9 KB, 23 views)
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:05 PM   #7

IS that rust?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 7.02.57 PM.png (261.2 KB, 15 views)
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:14 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
IS that rust?
It may be.

I wonder if there was a hairline fracture in the hammer from manufacturing that caused moisture to get to the steel and rust it from the inside, which caused it to shatter and break off eventually.

I thought the hammer broke off maybe because it's a skeletonized hammer, not solid, and the shock from hammering cause it to shatter. That wouldn't make sense but it's the only thing I could think of.

A manufacturer fracture defect with rusting sounds more plausible.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:06 PM   #9

Originally Posted by bigtuna View Post
I thought the hammer broke off maybe because it's a skeletonized hammer, not solid, and the shock from hammering cause it to shatter. That wouldn't make sense but it's the only thing I could think of.
Yeah, that sort of DOES make sense. As you know, that area gets a whole lot of vibration, from every time the hammer falls, to the banging it gets when the slide crashes into it. Take the skinny legs of the hammer, throw in the harmonics, and you end up with vibrations that want to tear the metal to shreds.

I'll bet Kimber replaces it for you. Dropping in a hammer, even if it's plug-n-play, should be thoroughly tested and perhaps adjusted. Surely, Kimber would rather the end-user not dig that deep.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:00 AM   #10

Just a follow-up.

I spoke with "Dawn" at Kimber. She was very nice, I told her what happened to my hammer.

She said that with the age of my gun (about 11 years old), that she recommended that I get the "full gun check" for $175 and they'll check out the hammer and everything else and let me know what else needs fixing.

My gun has less than 400 rounds put through it, maybe less than 200. The hammer broke off with barely any rounds put through it, which seems clearly to me that it's a manufacturing defect or a poorly designed hammer that can't take the impact. By comparison, my Glock 19 has thousands of rounds put through it and it has never had any issues and never needed work. But my Kimber with the rosewood grips is so much better to look at and hold!

Dawn said another option is to send in the gun to Kimber, and they'll look at just the hammer. If they determine it's a manufacturing defect, then they'll fix it on their dime. If they cannot determine it's a manufacturing defect, then I can pay their gunsmith to fix it. She said if I paid $175 for the "full gun check" that they'll look at the hammer and everything else and that "the gunsmith is usually pretty generous with fixing things".

I just don't want to spend $175 for a full gun check or repair for a gun with less than 400 rounds put through it. That's 20% of the value of the gun.

She is sending me a UPS label to send this to Kimber, and will let me know my options after they receive the gun. I hope they aren't going to push for the $175 full gun check. I also sent her the photos of the broken hammer that I posted here.

So, hopefully they'll figure out this is a manufacturing defect and fix this at their cost.

I'll keep you updated.
Chuck43, Jflytle and Supertool like this.

Last edited by bigtuna; 01-30-2019 at 09:02 AM.