Range Report 1/27/19 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2019, 07:25 PM   #1

Range Report 1/27/19

I took my new Aegis Elite Pro out today and put about 150 rounds down range. We were shooting steel. First 100 rounds were factory Winchester. I shot about 10 yards out.

With the Winchester ammo, I experienced several failures to completely make it back into battery. The loads were also hotter than I was used to (I have been shooting .45 reloads). But the accuracy was pretty good (any failure to hit was probably shooter failure).

Second round of ammo were reloads, approx 50 rounds. It was a reload my husband did for his Glock 21 and whoa daddy did I get a ton of failures to return to battery. I had a couple where I couldn't get it back into battery at all, the slide was jammed and I had to have my husband pull the slide back for me. He thinks the rounds were slightly too long for my gun, but also, these were not your normal hardball type ammo that I understand the 1911 likes so much, these had little divots in the middle of the bullets and were more cone-shaped (I do not know the technical term, sorry!). It got to be a joke: shoot, check for battery, whack the back of the slide, shoot It wasn't all bad, though. Some rounds just did their thing like they were supposed to. But at that point I was just anticipating another failure.

One of the things husband and I both noticed was that the Kimber has a tendency to hitch badly about the last 1/8th of the slide travel, where the slide and barrel lock together (if that makes sense?), when we racked it, especially at first when we had just gotten it. I spent a lot of time yesterday racking the slide and today, after shooting, this hitch wasn't as bad, but is still there a bit. I think it's just from the tight tolerances that these pistols are built to and we need to just keep wearing her in.

Another thing is my grip. I know that according to a lot of people, you're supposed to keep your thumb on the safety while shooting, and today I did, but I am going to try it differently next time. If I have my thumb on the safety, the webbing of my hand gets totally pinched in the beaver tail and after awhile I had a blister. My hands are not super small, but they are smaller than most men's so I am having some trouble. If I keep my thumb on the safety, I also don't have much finger tip on the trigger. If I drop off the safety, I feel my grip is much better and less painful, and more solid. I understand that by shooting that way I run the risk of bumping the safety on, but I'd also like shooting to be comfortable. Some pics of what I mean:

This is how much finger is on the trigger when I have my thumb on the safety. I really have very little pad on the trigger here.

This how much more finger I can get on the trigger when I do not have my thumb on the safety. I am NOT to the joint here, just basically middle of first pad of finger.
[/url]

This is the part of my hand that gets pinched when I have my thumb on the safety.

Anyway, so that was my day. Oh, and already scratched the thing with my rings Going to work on grip next week and put more rounds downrange.
RustyIron, Cybercycle and BCD 45 like this.

Last edited by Batty; 01-28-2019 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
Batty is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-27-2019, 08:49 PM   #2

I have never shot any of my pistols with my thumb on the safety. I would try it with the thumb off the safety. If the safety goes on under the above condition, I would have someone watch while you are shooting. Try putting the thumb a little lower. Maybe a video for later observation. Typically you want the trigger in the middle of the pad. Too little pad has a tendency to push to the left. Too much pad has a tendency to pull to the right. Of course I am assuming a right handed shooter - reverse push/pull for a left handed shooter.
PaulWVa, Karens, BCD 45 and 1 others like this.
DeOlMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:59 PM   #3

I agree with 'da man here I've been shooting 1911s since 1974 and have never had any reason to "ride" the safety. I would work on a good grip that let's you stay under the safety but doesn't let you get up into the lever under recoil I'm sure you can do this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2019, 09:39 PM   #4

Are you shooting with one hand, strong hand only? I don't know what circle of folks (lots of people you refer to) that say rest your thumb on the "safety" but I will say that advice is WRONG. You lose all leverage and any grip strength you have with your thumb up high away from the frame. I have been shooting a 1911 of my own since 1974 and I have NEVER heard or seen anyone advised to hold the pistol like that. It is not a natural feel to have the thumb up like that.
For best results: Use new factory 9mm ammo with at least 124gr and FMJ (Hardball) at least until breaking is complete (400-700) rounds, your mileage may vary.

The pic with the orange blanket is my wife's hand holding one of the Ultra's. Others are my hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Trigger Chart.jpeg (103.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Detonics Short Grip.jpg (2.84 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150522_160412736_HDR.jpg (3.24 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Lady Grip Ultra.jpg (3.29 MB, 12 views)

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger

Last edited by 2sharp2; 01-27-2019 at 09:55 PM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:51 PM   #5

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Are you shooting with one hand, strong hand only? I don't know what circle of folks (lots of people you refer to) that say rest your thumb on the "safety" but I will say that advice is WRONG. You lose all leverage and any grip strength you have with your thumb up high away from the frame. I have been shooting a 1911 of my own since 1974 and I have NEVER heard or seen anyone advised to hold the pistol like that.
For best results: Use new factory 9mm ammo with at least 124gr and FMJ (Hardball) at least until breaking is complete (400-700) rounds, your mileage may vary.
I am shooting two handed. I just took pics of one hand to show my fingertip. I will shoot next weekend without resting on the safety and I bet things will go better for me. It's a .45, and I will use 230gr FMJ hardball until broken in now. We just had that reload with us and I wanted to see how the gun handled it. His reloads weren't as powerful which is easier on me, but I was handling the recoil fine from the factory ammo as well. Thanks for the responses
2sharp2, PaulWVa and BCD 45 like this.

Last edited by Batty; 01-27-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Batty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:52 PM   #6

Find a grip that is comfortable to you. You don't have to put your thumb up high or on the safety as many instructors preach. Find what's comfortable and gives you the best contact and control. Just because a certain grip works for one person, doesn't mean it works for all. Especially if you are getting blisters, it's not working for you. Good luck!
2sharp2, PaulWVa, BCD 45 and 1 others like this.
DaVinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:04 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Batty View Post
I am shooting two handed. I just took pics of one hand to show my fingertip. I will shoot next weekend without resting on the safety and I bet things will go better for me. It's a .45, and I will use 230gr FMJ hardball until broken in now. We just had that reload with us and I wanted to see how the gun handled it. His reloads weren't as powerful which is easier on me, but I was handling the recoil fine from the factory ammo as well. Thanks for the responses
Dooh (slap forehead) up until recently the Aegis model line was exclusively all 9mm, my BAD. Old habits don't cha know.
I expected you was shooting two handed and not going all John Wayne on us but had to ask.

Totally understand shooting any ammo you brought to the dance, so to speak, been there done that!
PaulWVa, BCD 45 and Batty like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Last edited by 2sharp2; 01-27-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:10 PM   #8

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Dooh (slap forehead) up until recently the Aegis model line was exclusively all 9mm, my BAD. Old habits don't cha know.
I expected you was shooting two handed and not going all John Wayne on us but had to ask.

Totally understand shooting any ammo you brought to the dance, so to speak, been there done that!
At this point I can't imagine shooting one handed. I can handle the recoil with two but with one hand things would be...interesting
BCD 45 likes this.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:32 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Batty View Post
At this point I can't imagine shooting one handed. I can handle the recoil with two but with one hand things would be...interesting
Might want to someday give it a go! You never know what could happen in the real world. You know at your own pace and in a controlled place (range), fire some rounds one handed strong and "weak" hand. You wouldn't want the first time ever firing your pistol left handed to be in a life or death situation. Just sayn.

I practice some weak hand shooting every range trip, I'm ok but it would have to be a dire situation for me to do that in real world.
PaulWVa, BCD 45 and Batty like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Old 01-27-2019, 11:37 PM   #10

Sorry for your troubles, I really am. I haven't taken my new Aegis Ultra 9mm out for a shoot yet but if I experience your many problems, I'm going to be one PO'd hombre. It just might not make it back home.

I've got lots of different 9mm ammo but I bought a 1000 round can/case of 124 grain Winchester 9mm Nato ammo just for it to break-in. I know the Nato rounds are a little hot but they've been great for other guns on break-in.

I hope the problem goes away soon for you or it would go back to New York in a heartbeat.

Jim D
SE Texas

Last edited by BCD 45; 01-28-2019 at 02:02 AM.
BCD 45 is offline   Reply With Quote