Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Batty
  • 2 Post By Batty
  • 1 Post By RustyIron
  • 3 Post By Batty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2019, 04:43 PM   #1

Angry Some Issues With Guide Rod Sleeve

So, Ive been having some issues with my Aegis Elite Pro and am curious if anyone has had this issue before.

Keep in mind I have a guide rod with the sleeve that goes over it. I don't have the guide rod that has the plug that captures the spring like you'd see on the 5" 1911s. Mine is like this one:

I noticed that when I took down the gun, I had a lot of trouble getting the recoil spring and sleeve out of the gun, it was always jammed into the slide and I would have to take a mallet to the guide rod and hammer on the part sticking out the front of the gun slightly to get it to release from the slide. The sleeve itself was jammed halfway into the slide, so whenever I took the slide off, I could see half the sleeve while the rest of it was jammed into the front of the slide. I didn't think this was normal, but wasn't sure as I've never had a 1911 before and my husband's is a 5" with the plug that captures the spring, so totally different than mine. I don't have pictures, I should have taken some, sorry. The sleeve would never go all the way into the front of the slide, either, but again, didn't know if this was normal or not, and the gun was working.

The other thing I noticed was when I put the gun back together after cleaning it, I had to SLAM the slide back onto the frame or there was no way I could get the slide stop to line up with the notch to put the slide stop back in. My husband could get the thing to slam back together but there was no way I could.

Fast forward to today. I cleaned my gun and could NOT get the slide on correctly, even slamming the thing together wasn't allowing the notches to line up. After watching like six Youtube videos, I realized that the guide rod sleeve is actually supposed to go completely into the front of the slide and not stick half way out. We had to sand down the lip around the sleeve in order for it to slip into the slide easily the way it was doing on the videos we watched. We also realized that when we were slamming the slide on, it would push the sleeve fully into the front of the slide where it should be, but that's why it was jammed in there when taking down the gun and why I needed to use the mallet to get the whole thing out.

Has anyone had issues like this? I noticed that now since we sanded the sleeve lip down and it fits properly in the slide, I can use my fingers to remove the slide stop, when before I had to lever it up and out with a tool, and it was stuck in there good.

Sorry for the long post and I can take pictures if needed to explain better what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Batty; 02-23-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Batty is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-23-2019, 05:04 PM   #2

I took a couple of pictures to maybe explain more.

This circled part would not go into the slide until we sanded the lip down.

And now it does and I don't need to use a mallet to get the guide rod out anymore.
2sharp2 and RustyIron like this.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #3

Short answer, NO never had a problem like yours. I'm not an expert but a mallet, hammering and pry tools are NOT, should not be needed to disassemble or assemble a 1911 pistol. You may still have some fitted/machined parts out of specs. It should come apart and go back together smooth as butter, for sure the slide should NOT have to be SLAMMED back onto the frame.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2019, 07:33 PM   #4

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Short answer, NO never had a problem like yours. I'm not an expert but a mallet, hammering and pry tools are NOT, should not be needed to disassemble or assemble a 1911 pistol. You may still have some fitted/machined parts out of specs. It should come apart and go back together smooth as butter, for sure the slide should NOT have to be SLAMMED back onto the frame.
It comes apart and goes together great now.
2sharp2 and DaVinci like this.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #5

There you go again, voiding warranties and putting Customer Support people out of a job!

I don't know why some manufacturers don't hire a couple gunsmiths to check, adjust, and put the necessary finish on their guns. Oh... wait... yes I do. It's cheaper to send out guns that need hundreds of rounds before they start running well.

Guns shouldn't be a "do it yourself" kit. But if you want it perfect, you'd better do it yourself.

Nice work.
Batty likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #6

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
There you go again, voiding warranties and putting Customer Support people out of a job!

I don't know why some manufacturers don't hire a couple gunsmiths to check, adjust, and put the necessary finish on their guns. Oh... wait... yes I do. It's cheaper to send out guns that need hundreds of rounds before they start running well.

Guns shouldn't be a "do it yourself" kit. But if you want it perfect, you'd better do it yourself.

Nice work.
Haha, yeah, well. I will take her out to the range tomorrow and we'll see how it goes. I am hoping that since I am almost at 600 rounds through I am going to be done with any issues. My main issue has been failure to go back into battery, but it's been getting less and less as I put more rounds down range.

Looking forward to not having to beat my gun up to get it apart for cleaning and reassembly, too
Chuck43, DaVinci and Wingnut like this.