Range Report 2/24/19 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Batty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2019, 04:56 PM   #1

Range Report 2/24/19

Took the little Browning 1911-22 out yesterday, as well as my Kimber .45, shooting painted steel.

Shooting the .22, I was not shooting to the left at all and my groups were tight. The little gun is a joy to shoot. I did have three failure to battery and one stovepipe, but that was it. I put around 150 rounds down range. The pistol is fun to shoot and very accurate.

I was alternating between my .45 and the .22. I am thinking the recoil is too much for me with the .45 because once I'd alternate, my first two shots with the .45 would be centered but then things would deteriorate and I'd be shooting left again, and anticipating recoil. I'm not sure what to do with this. I dry fire all the time and I never flinch, but once I am actually dealing with .45 recoil I am back to flinching and going left. My new short trigger did help at least, I am not going anywhere nearly as far left as I was before switching it out, but still going left of center, especially as I get tired.

I'm going to keep practicing like this, alternating between the two calibers. The .22 helped my confidence a lot because it showed me that I can actually get good groupings and have them centered. The .45 is a lot of gun to shoot. The thing is that I shot my husband's full size RIA 1911 before we got the Kimber and I was fine with it. Yes, I did go to the left, but it was a fun shoot for me and I enjoyed it. The Kimber is a pro size, but weighs the same, and it's not as fun to me to shoot. I do enjoy it, but I feel like it gets away from me. I don't feel that way with hubby's 1911, but we also shoot lighter reloads in it, too. The Kimber is a picky witch about ammo right now, I can only shoot factory or she likes to give me a lot of failure to battery and/or the cartridge won't fully feed and I have to bump the back of the slide. Eventually we will find a load that works and that I like shooting. I am determined to shoot this .45 accurately. I will never carry this beasty, but she will be a good range gun for me. My husband likes to stay that the pretty ones are more trouble (as he stares at me)
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Tejun and 1 others like this.