Just ordered a new Stainless Target LS - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2019, 06:09 AM   #1

Just ordered a new Stainless Target LS

Anyone have one? I can't wait to get it and take it to the range. I am a lefty, so I wll fit an ambi thumb safety to it. I was looking at the SA Long Slide (a few available on GB), but at $1600+, I decided to try out the Kimber. The biggest differences that I can see are the ambi safety on the SA, as well as the checkered frontstrap that it also has . But, I much prefer the fiber optic front sight on the Kimber. I have bought the Wilson Combat "add-on" checkering before, and have it on two other 1911s. I like them! Just ordered one for the new Kimber.
46QJI and Jflytle like this.
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-28-2019, 09:09 AM   #2

Congrats. I was looking at the 10mm LS down at the LGS, very nice balance, very steady.

My Target II has the same FO front sight, best/brightest FO sight I've seen.
I'm disappointed with a new Dawson FO set for my HK, very small and dim front dot compared to the Kimber design.

For the grip I went with the Hogue rubber finger groove grips. No beauty contest winner, but they help the old/cold hands hands during the MN winter.
46QJI and Ceapea like this.
Calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #3

I have one. I've only shot 100 rds so far but they were all trouble free. Shot 50 S&B and 50 Freedom Munitions. Both 180 grs. It's a nice shooting pistol. Very accurate and it doesn't sling the brass into the next county like my other Kimber 10s.
Tomcatt
Ceapea likes this.
Tomcatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2019, 05:50 PM   #4

I actually got to hold one today, at a gun store hosting a Glock GSSF match. It was in 10mm. I was surprised to see one in the wild. They wanted $1025 for it.
Anyway, I asked if I could handle it and dry fire it. Yep!, they said. Yikes!! I hope that my trigger is a fair amount better than that one. It was VERY creepy and pretty close to 6#-7#!! That guess, based on my having just shot my LB Premier and my Pre-II Kimber Classic Target, which both come in at 3.75# - 4#.
Hoping for the best...
Nice looking though, real nice.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:27 AM   #5

Congratulations on your Stainless Target. Let us know how it performs.
Ceapea likes this.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #6

The trigger on mine is nice. It averages 4.55#s for 5 pulls. Just a tiny bit of creep and no over travel. It will get better as the round count gets higher.
Tomcatt
Ceapea likes this.
Tomcatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:03 AM   #7

Well I picked up my new 6" Kimber 45 yesterday. It is a really nice looking and feeling gun!
It was soaked in oil in the bag inside of the box. More oil than was on my Les Baer! Regarding my concerns about how the trigger would be, it was horrible! The worst trigger I've ever felt on a 1911. Gritty, creepy, way too much over travel and a long (3/16"??) reset. It was registering 5 3/4 lb to 6 1/4 lb on my Lyman digital gauge.
So I just knew that the next stop for the gun would be a good gunsmith. Then I took it apart to clean off the shipping oil and take a look inside. The bushing moved/turned easily enough and slid up the barrel towards the chamber. But it hesitated and got real gritty at the muzzle. The inside of the barrel and the grip frame was filled with a black looking soot. I cleaned the barrel thoroughly and it appeared to be fine. Not wanting to take apart a brand new gun, I decided to blow out the frame and grip areas with Hornady gun cleaner and lube. Tons of black crap came out. Then I blew it all out w/compressed air and hit it all again with the Hornady lube. I let it dry for a few minutes. I cleaned the slide and bushing the same way.
Now, the bushing goes onto and off of the barrel like it should, smooth, and with no grittiness. Put everything back together and adjusted the over travel screw to the point where it will not trip. Back it out 1/2 turn and check it out. Obviously, it now has very little over travel and a proportionately shorter reset. Very nice. And the trigger pull feels lighter/better. So back to the Lyman gauge. I am now at 4 lb 9 oz to 4 lb 14.5 oz over 10 pulls. Then I tried a method that I read about to help eliminate some error. I wrote down the pull weights of 12 pulls, dropped the high and low readings and ended up with a 4 lb 10.0 oz average trigger pull. Not bad, dropping almost a pound and a half with a little cleaning and adjusting. Now to put several hundred rd downrange and see if it slicks up a bit more. For the price ($775) I'll keep it.
Chuck43 and kimbertoter like this.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #8

So going back to take another look at it, just because, I noticed that the thumb safety is bowed out just a bit. To the point where less than half of the metal thickness is actually touching the slide material. I cant believe that I didn't see that before. It can't be pushed in any farther because at the rear of the assembly, it is already making contact with the frame. It is just bent! Well, as I have just finished my very first "gunsmith" project on another 1911, fitting an ambi safety to a SA Range Officer Target model, I just may need to do it to the Kimber too. Originally I wasn't going to put on an ambi safety on this gun, as it was just the range, and maybe some competition. And I started out shooting a single sided safety 1911 years ago. I just worked in the disengaging of the safety with my support hand thumb as I was bringing the gun up into position. No problem with 5 minutes of repetition. But now that it looks so poor, I just might as well do it. I have three extra safety sets. (I bought extras in case I goofed on the first one). Dang it Kimber, I was hoping for a good one right out of the box!
Edit:
Some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4075.JPG (1.22 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4076.JPG (858.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4077.JPG (1.13 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4080.JPG (809.4 KB, 6 views)
kimbertoter likes this.

Last edited by Ceapea; 03-12-2019 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 03-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #9

Neither the Kimber or the SA came with checkered front straps. That is an $8 Wilson Combat add-on piece...in the pics of the Kimber above.
And, some pics of the SA Range Officer...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4081.JPG (1.20 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4082.JPG (1.06 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4085.JPG (914.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4086.JPG (827.0 KB, 5 views)
kimbertoter likes this.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #10

Congrats on the T2LS, I have the same in 10mm , absolutely love it. Little bit on the heavy side, but it's of no concern, the added weight equals lesser felt recoil. My 10 packs some serious energy thump slamming a dueling tree at 25 yds ! I shoot my LS the most consistent out of all my semi's and I attribute that to the longer sight radius. My T2 was a bit fussy with FTF's when brand new, but after about 400 rounds, and I polished the slide rails, the feed ramp and the insides of the mag feed lips with some 600 grit wet/dry paper, she runs much smoother than when new. My 10mm is a bit fussy with ammo, I tried Sellier & Bellot 180 TC ammo and had feed problems. Shot Sig 180 RN's and it ran perfect. I handload the Berry's 180 RNFP's and they too run excellent. I too have a 1911 SA RO but mine's chambered in 9mm , another fav of mine !
Ceapea likes this.

Last edited by Road_Clam; 03-16-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Road_Clam is offline   Reply With Quote