Truglo Sights on Kimber Custom II Problem - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2019, 11:16 PM   #1

Truglo Sights on Kimber Custom II Problem

Hello. I'm new to this board, and need some help. I was installing Truglo TG231K night sights on my Custom II and ran into a problem with the rear sight. The original fixed sight that came with the Custom II came off easily, but the new Truglo sights don't seem to go on smoothly. The dovetail on the new sight is being "cut into" to fit onto the slide. I don't think this is supposed to be normal.

I'm using a MGW Sight Pro to install the sights from right to left. The Truglo set is Kimber fixed sight specific. Here is a picture of what's happening with the sight (bottom). Any advice on what to do?

dvsdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-05-2019, 11:49 PM   #2

You aren't running into the Swartz safety hardware right?
AZ Husker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:53 AM   #3

I can't really see what's going on in the picture. I know I usually end up doing some filing whenever I changed out the plastic sights with metal ones on my Glocks. I've never experienced one of those simple 2 minute sight swaps like you see on YouTube. My conspiracy theory is that those vids are produced by gunsmiths so people like myself have to use their services after we break something, lol.
Morsoseth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2019, 03:32 AM   #4

I’m no expert but I just started replacing my own sights. A lot of new sights need to be fitted. You need to use a sanding block or a file and take some material off the bottom of the sight until the angle is correct. This video may help. It’s not a 1911 but it’s the same concept.

Chuck43, 427malibu and Ceapea like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:24 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum dvsdev, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?
Old 03-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #6

Welcome to the site from Tennessee.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:11 PM   #7

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
I’m no expert but I just started replacing my own sights. A lot of new sights need to be fitted. You need to use a sanding block or a file and take some material off the bottom of the sight until the angle is correct. This video may help. It’s not a 1911 but it’s the same concept.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4maCQhEIjoA
Correct. Usually some small amount of material needs to be removed from the new sights. A triangle file can be found at the hardware store and can be useful. I’ve seen this video before, when I got my first (of many) Dawson sights. To the OP, never file on the slide!!!
JC45 likes this.
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #8

Not running anywhere near safety hardware. I added another picture showing the area where the material is being removed from the sight. It looks like this sight needs to be fitted on the Kimber.

Thanks for the video and comments. I guess I was lucky enough to have 6 Glocks not needing any fitting. My last and newest Glock night sight install went wrong right before this Kimber. I know the reason why now!

dvsdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:32 PM   #9

I stone the bottom of my new sights to get them to fit right. It doesn't matter if you start them from left to right or right to left, so if you mic both ends of the dovetail of the new sight usually one end is slightly wider than the other end. So I always start the new sight in on the shorter side first.
WillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:44 PM   #10

I have a rear sight press, so didn't have a problem. It was actually harder to get the OEM sights off than installing the new ones.
sgtsandman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom, sights, truglo