Ultra CDP II Discontinued? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #1

Ultra CDP II Discontinued?

I was browsing the Kimber website looking for the next pistol that I "NEED" (haha) and noticed the Ultra CDP II is not listed.

Has it been discontinued?

what was the difference between the CDP II and CDP?
7shortmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-20-2019, 09:08 AM   #2

"II" designates in all Kimber's it has a Swartz firing pin safety.

Yes, it has been at least a year or close to two years since Kimber removed the Swartz safety from several different model lines.

CDP is still as good as it ever was. As you can see from Rick's pictures, that's when they changed from Black frame to the dark Gray frame color.
Chuck43 and JC45 like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr

Last edited by 2sharp2; 03-20-2019 at 09:33 AM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #3

My new Pro CDP lacks the Schwartz firing pin safety, and that's perfectly okay with me. I much prefer the original Browning design over any "new fangled" safety that was never really needed in the first place.

No "II" in the model stamping here....

My other Pro CDP is a "II" series, but even at that, I"ve never experienced any malfunction or timing issue of any kind. But if this needless design ever gives me a bit of grief, out she comes!
2sharp2 and Wingnut like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #4

Uuuuuuuggghhh!!!
I hate it when my questions make me ask more questions!! LOL!

So it appears that my Ultra CDP II has a schwartz firing pin safety
Is that a bad thing?
Old 03-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #5

I don't like that 'new' Kimber 1911. There's a reason, I don't carry a dull knife or drive an an F-150 with only three tires.

I carry my Kimber because it is a combat/defensive piece, not a toy or a target pistol. It goes 'bang' and I go home alive.

This type of pistol should have two very important features.

Number one, it must be small. If it's big it gets left at home. If it's too long, it decreases the speed of you draw/presentation.

Number two. In a panic situation you will probably have tunnel vision, a perceived slow down in time, and fingers that do not work in the tachypsychia event. Ergo, all defensive pistols should have that "grip safety bump." Your movements might be so sloppy that you fail to adequately close your hand.

I do not see those helpful characteristics shown in the pictures provided.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #6

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I don't like that 'new' Kimber 1911. There's a reason, I don't carry a dull knife or drive an an F-150 with only three tires.

I carry my Kimber because it is a combat/defensive piece, not a toy or a target pistol. It goes 'bang' and I go home alive.

Number one, it must be small. If it's big it gets left at home. If it's too long, it decreases the speed of you draw/presentation.

Number two. In a panic situation you will probably have tunnel vision, a perceived slow down in time, and fingers that do not work in the tachypsychia event. Ergo, all defensive pistols should have that "grip safety bump." Your movements might be so sloppy that you fail to adequately close your hand.

OK, so please clear this up for me.
are you telling me the Ultra CDP II does not meet the two very important criteria?
Old 03-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #7

The newest CDP does not have the "II" designation, and most here would agree it is slightly more desirable than a "II" model, although both are excellent pistols. I would not base my purchase criteria on whether it was a "II" or not, but if you get one without you are getting the most recent production.

It is a fairly new transition and there are still plenty of new II series pistols in the new inventory pipeline. Don't get too concerned about it.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #8

As far as the two criteria mentioned, you are looking at an Ultra the one pictured is a Pro, that is bigger than the Ultra. Most consider an Ultra model very suitable for everyday carry, I am looking at them now myself. That said, I routinely carry a "Pro" model which is even bigger. You be the judge of how large a weapon you will actually carry. The main point made is if it's too big, and you end up not carrying it, it won't do you any good.

As far as the grip safety, I too like the look and feel of the "bump" on the grip safety. But here is the surprise... I measured my Kimber grip safety without visible extension against another 1911 with the bump/extension grip safety, and the Kimber's grip safety actually extends out further. So it's an optical illusion trick on the eyes. I wouldn't have believed it till I actually measured it either.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post

Originally Posted by 7shortmag View Post
OK, so please clear this up for me.
are you telling me the Ultra CDP II does not meet the two very important criteria?

What Chico is telling you is what he believes a pistol should have. The Ultra CDP II or Ultra CDP will make a great defensive handgun once it's broken in. I own the Ultra CDP II in both 9mm and .45 and trust them both, if I didn't I would have sold the first one and never bought the 2nd one.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #10

Oh, the Swartz safety is simply a "drop safety" system added to the Kimber "Series II" 1911's. If you were to drop your loaded Kimber and it hit the ground muzzle first, the Swartz prevents the firing pin from moving forward under impact and discharging the weapon. If properly timed it's a wonderful system. Some people like the idea, some don't. The Swartz was not invented by Kimber, but they have used it more than anyone else.