Range report custom2 tls gfo 10mm - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2019, 08:53 AM   #1

Range report custom2 tls gfo 10mm

Took my 10 out for a spin yesterday. Did have a few ftf at first, but expected . Shot 1 round clean bbl between each shot for 20 rounds. After 20 shot a mag then clean. Put 50 rounds thru it. Had 3 kimber mags, gun did well. Sent my brass 15 ft and behind me. Found 47 of the 50. Used sig elite performance 180 gr fmj cheapest in area. Was not truing for groups just break in. Did shoot good all rounds were right poa. So that prpblem is me. Looking forward to some 175 gr cast.
The recoil was close to my k6s 357
Ruger4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-01-2019, 08:10 PM   #2

Just got back from the range with my custom II 10. My 2nd trip. I couldn’t chamber a single round off the magazine the 1st time. Did some polishing and a little radiusing on the feedramp. Now the federal 155gr jhp runs without a hitch. 10 yds and had the first mag full nearly all touching. My 175 cast were not as close, but I will work on it. They are a semi wad cutter profile. 1 kimber mag & 2 colt mags leftover from my delta years ago; both were fine.

Last edited by 44wheelman; 04-01-2019 at 08:12 PM.
44wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:57 PM   #3

My first 6 rounds only 3 fed straight from the mag, pulled slide back and let go. I expected things like this. Yes for the money it should work, but 1911 arenlike that. Next is a 23 lb spring
Ruger4570 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
NCS

Custom II FGO 10 MM

I picked one up the other day and have about 120 rounds through it using some Armscor, Herters, and Sig Elite as I wanted to try various powers of ammo. That Armscor only has like 407 ft-pounds of muzzle energy, the Sig has 625, and I believe the Herters has like 528. I had several initial failures to go into battery but that seems to have worked itself out. My brother gave me two mags to go with my provided Kimber Mag and I forget the manufacturers, but they all seem to work fine. The gun seems to cycle and extract well with consistent ejection areas per ammo used. All the ammo seemed to cycle well except that Herters was the most problematic going into battery. I never realized before that almost all of the 10 mm target ammo was wad cutter or semi wad cutter.

I got quite a few "brass kisses" behind the extraction port on my slide after the first 54 round session. I cleaned it, and went back out and only shot the Herters, and it is still wants to mark up the slide pretty good with the brass. The Herters is throwing brass at about 4-5 O' Clock roughly 15-20 feet away into a very consistent pile. I went down a significant internet rabbit hole researching the cause of the brass kisses on the slide. My local gunsmith told me not to do anything until I have like 400 rounds through it.

I will do 10-8 ( I believe that is what's called) extractor test when I shoot later today but I'm not doing anything else to it until I get 400-500 rounds down the pipe. I like the gun and will monitor and perhaps tweak regarding the brass kisses. It's my 2nd Kimber. I have a Stainless Ultra II .45 that I love.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7390.JPG (3.03 MB, 4 views)
KCJeep likes this.
NCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #5

I think the extractor is a good place to start.

Then again, I once sent off a 1911 for what's known as a "reliability package." I was surprised to see that a slightly longer ejector was added.

Surprise, surprise. It kicked the brass out and clear of the pistol with 'authority.'
NCS and KCJeep like this.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #6

Tourist nailed it. Kimber doesn't use extended ejectors, even in their Commander sized guns. Colt does, and I think they know a thing or two about 1911s.

My Pro Carry will send brass in my face once in a while, and it also features brass marks on the slide. Both extractor tuning and ultimately replacement with a Wilson Combat have done nothing for it. I plan to tune the face of the ejector, but if that doesn't work it is going to get an extended one.

Another possible option can be to up the slide velocity using hotter or lighter, higher velocity loads. That can work as well. Sometimes, doesn't sound like your 10mm cares though.
NCS likes this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
NCS

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I think the extractor is a good place to start.

Then again, I once sent off a 1911 for what's known as a "reliability package." I was surprised to see that a slightly longer ejector was added.

Surprise, surprise. It kicked the brass out and clear of the pistol with 'authority.'
Thanks. Based upon what I read recently, it's either the extractor, the ejector, the main spring, maybe the recoil spring, or a combination of all of these that could be giving me the brass impacts on the slide. Many people don't seem to care if this occurs as long as the gun operates and cycles. Others do seem to care greatly. I'm somewhere in between.

I don't have firsthand experience of this, but I also read on the 1911 Forum that Wilson Combat will tell their customers to tape the slide. Out of curiosity, I may call Kimber later in the week if it is still an issue because I'll have 500 down the pipe in the next couple days. They will probably tell me it is normal operation which is not an issue for me.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #8

Originally Posted by NCS View Post
Many people don't seem to care if this occurs as long as the gun operates and cycles. Others do seem to care greatly. I'm somewhere in between.
Sorry for the poor quality picture, but my Kimber has never had brass fly off the slide. I put +/-800 rounds initial rounds through it, had perhaps 2 FTF, and then stellar performance since. I've stopped counting, it always works.

I never thought about the slide, I bought mine for a defensive pistol, not a target gun.

Edit: The pistol is carried EDC. The only wear mark is on the right hand side of the rear sight, you can see that area reflected in the picture.

Click on the picture to enlarge.

DSC02561.JPG
cousinmark and KCJeep like this.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #9
NCS

I went out this afternoon and shot another 70 rounds or so of various loads and it's running like a sewing machine. I was just curious and performed the extractor test and there are no extractor issues with the gun. I may or may not look closer at the ejector. I'm pretty pleased with the gun. KCJeep and The Tourist, thank you for your responses and information.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:26 AM   #10

Originally Posted by NCS View Post
I went out this afternoon and shot another 70 rounds or so of various loads and it's running like a sewing machine. I was just curious and performed the extractor test and there are no extractor issues with the gun. I may or may not look closer at the ejector. I'm pretty pleased with the gun. KCJeep and The Tourist, thank you for your responses and information.
Nice, enjoy. My buddy has a Kimber Camp Guard 10mm and that thing is awesome.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber custom ii gfo

Click on a term to search for related topics.